A little help with braid vs mono - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 03-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Official Member

Default A little help with braid vs mono

I am new to the site and I thought I would throw this out. I just purchased two Shimano Baitrunners 3500 and I need to get some help on what type of line. I really liked the idea of using them for live lining (eels, poggies ect) but also for poppers and plugs. Does anyone have any advice on which line will be the best. I dont think it will matter but I'll be going out of Buzzards Bay and also from there into Cape Cod Bay. Thanks!!

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2008, 10:46 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: A little help with braid vs mono

i;d bump up that reel. okay i guess but would rather have a sturdier one. stay with mono if your not used to braid yet. or- spool both up with braid in case one blows up.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:00 AM
Veteran Elite

3500 may be pushing it with the bigger fish. And definitly too small to fish a live bunker from the shore. My friend has one he plugs and floats bait with and loves. But he doesn't use it when targeting bigger fish. Be a little more specific on when and where (boat or shore). And I'm sure one the seasoned guys will chime in with more specific help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2008, 02:50 AM
First Mate

I fished all of last season with the 3500 and didn't have any major problems, no major fish though, although I am looking for a bigger reel, I would upgrade if you can to the 4500, another 10 bucks, if you can't those will work just fine. Now asking what kind of line to use will open a whole can of worms. Myself, I used #30 powerpro but I would probably spool them up with #20 fireline if you are gonna go with braid. Just my 2 cents.

Bryan

BTW Welcome to the site
Old 03-12-2008, 09:36 AM
Official Member

I will be fishing off a boat.

I must say I am a little irritated by the guy who sold me the reel. I wouldnt have minded paying the extra $30 for the 4500B if it ment it was going to last longer. I know the 3500 is a good reel but I want to grow into my gear not grow out of. Any other suggestions would trully help

Josh
Old 03-12-2008, 02:46 PM

Put them in the buy and sell forum for a trade maybe. A lot of guys like lighter gear for different species.
I use sufix performance braid its a little more expensive but its great braid.

Ps. Keep two spools - one braid one mono
Old 03-12-2008, 10:19 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

don;t fish the braid on the boat, alot of things to think about when your new to braid. that reel will be good with 20# ande and a 30 or 40# fluoro shock leader. if you get a behemoth you may just get him on the leader with that reel. off the beach is a different story altogether. i;m not a fan of braid on boats but i use it when i go out cause i can horse em in faster to get em back in quicker,

Old 03-15-2008, 04:26 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

My friend, 20# Fireline on that size reel. I use Fireline on all of my spinners. No windknots, and it is super strong.
On my larger spinners, I use 30# Fireline, but your 3500 is on the smaller side.
Which is ok, maybe even the 14# Fireline, do your homework!