Age Old Question Of Rod + Reel - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 03-16-2012, 12:49 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Age Old Question Of Rod + Reel

Hey guys, this is my first season stripe bass fishing and I've been dwelling all day over a set up to go with.

Im looking to get a Spincasting reel and trying to keep it under 300 pref even under 250.

I was looking at this set-up with either a 11'6 or 12ft Rod

Cabela Set up

I felt I may of been cheaping out on on the rod / set-up so I went and found two more that appealed to me. I was thinking 11 or 12ft as well with this one

Bass Pro Set up

The third set-up I kinda pieced together myself it includes...

Penn Torque Rod
Penn Battle Reel 8000 model

i am completely lost as to which one too get or if any will be good. I am also open to suggestions for other setups that might be better or just as good for less $$

You guys let me know!

Thanks so much

Mike

P.S. I also need to buy Braided Line, should it be 40lb Test?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 08:03 AM

Default Re: Age Old Question Of Rod + Reel

Hi Mike,
Keep an eye on the weight rating on the rods and select one that will work with what you plan to use it for. For example, the 11' rod in the 'Bass Pro Setup' link you posted is rated for casting between 5 to 10 ounces. If you ever want to fish lures, this rod will not work for you at all. This is a rod for casting a heavy piece of bait and a big sinker. For fishing lures, you'll want a rod rated for 1-3 or 1-4 ounces.

Also, keep in mind that as a beginner, you'll probably have an easier time casting with a 9-10 foot rod than an 11-12 ft rod, and the extra length isn't going to gain you that much distance.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:07 AM

Also, 40 lb test on the braid should be fine. Just make sure that you use a mono backing under it, and don't just wind the braid directly onto the spool or it will slip under pressure. Braid by itself just doesn't grip the spool well. Wind on a length of mono first, then tie the braid to it and fill your spool to no more than about an 1/8 of an inch from the lip. Don't over-fill it or you'll be picking knots out of it after your first couple casts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 09:50 AM
Striper Hunter

Thanks Jake! I never thought about the lure part about it. I always was worried about what it could handle and such. The rod is really going to be used for just Stripers, I don't for see myself at this point using it for anything else yet.

Im just so torn between them, I really think one of the Penns is a great investment.

Mike
Old 03-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Striper Hunter - iFish NY

I agree, the Penn Battle is a solid reel for surf fishing and its reasonably priced... I paired the Battle 5000 with a 10' airwave 1-4oz and its a awesome light weight combo that I use for slinging clams in the spring and tins/topwater when the water warms up and the bunker/herring are in... its a solid combo and I think youll be happy with the purchase!
Old 03-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Weight and Balance

I suggest you keep the length at 9-10 ft.
Medium power, graphite.
If you plan on open beach fishing ie, Long Beach, Sandy Hook, Moses etc then 1-3 oz rating with 30# braid is plenty.
If you plan on jetty action or somewhere that you really need to control the fish go slightly heavier 2-4/6 Medium 30 is OK, 40 better.
Also keep your eye on the weight of the reel and drag power
...you will not need more than 20# drag and anything weighing over 24 oz will feel heavy on 9'.
Go feel them, do not buy your fist set up on-line.
Hold the rod lightly with the reel mounted. If it balances with your hand approx4-5 inches in front of the mount you're good.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:31 PM
Official Member

you're getting good advice from everyone. There are a lot of nice reasonably priced rods (Airwave and Tica to name a few). I just got a 9' Airwave rated 1-3.25 oz and I'm thing of the Penn Battle, the Shimano Spheros or the Penn Slammer. You do need to feel the reel on the rod to choose and I'm actually having a problem in north jersey finding a place that has the in stock in the size I'm considering. Anyway, don't forget what was said earlier about the rod's lure rating. If you are throwing clams or bunker with 2-6 ounces of lead, then you should be looking at a rod rated around 2-6 or 3-8 ounces. If you're going to throw 1-3 ounce lures, then a rod with a lighter rating. the rod and reel set ups I'm talking about can be had for under $200.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:36 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Doesn't the old timer you fish with by the train station tell you anything? I'd think by telling everyone that your fishing from shoreline on the hudson would give gents responding to your question a better idea on what to suggest. If you have not fished with braided line yet i'd be leary of suggesting you use it. However, if you get a reel with a spare spool you can have a backup in case braid frustrates you and you revert back to what you know till you learn correct line management. Pay attention to what was suggested above when buying. You may not toss alot of lures but the ability in your set-up to do so may come in handy.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Official Member

Hi

there is not an all round set up.
different set ups for specific types of fishing
Your not going to the bay with a twelve foot rod
casting small lures you need a rod a reel set up for that
etc...
Don't go to Kmart or any outlet like that, they are cheap
but you get what you pay for.
Go to the fishing store and look at what they have,
hold in your hands and see what fits you.
I would save up a bit more money, and go for a good reel first.
For a starter reel I like the cabo's(quantum) 50-60.
or go on ebay and find an penn 704 they are good reels.
Go do your homework and get advise and do'nt rush into
a cheap deal.
trust me you will have a better time with good gear.

good luck
MP
ps

do not bait fish with spinning reels
especially with chunks and 6oz weights
you will tear apart your finger after a while

Last edited by mp10s; 04-06-2012 at 12:23 PM. Reason: update
Old 05-29-2012, 01:22 AM
First Mate

just let that bait go when it wants, no finger trouble