Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

HOT HOT HOT in OOB....pics to follow!!!!!

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  207MIKE 
#1 ·
I haven't been around much the last week and a half 'cause I've been on vacation/fishing my a$$ off but wanted to give a report as things have been heating up considerably in Old Orchard the past couple days. The week started off real slow as trip after trip yielded very little success save for a few small hits but no fish landed from the normal haunt. The early season bait of choice was sandworms floated two at a time on a 7/0 circle hook and I incorporated clams into the mix a couple times after a few nights of getting skunked. After a couple nights of fishing the beach by Camp Ellis and my buddy landing only one fish (27", pretty nice sized) we moved back to the normal spot. He picked up a couple shorts over the next few nights, nothing to write home about but things were finally starting to look up a little bit. Thursday night I finally caught my first of the year that measured just under 31" and weighed in around 12-13 lb or so if I had to guess........she was a real nice fish, fat from head to tail all the way through and put up a good fight. I'd been at the beach no more than 10-15 minutes and noticed my line was bowing a bit. Not thinking much of it I got up and gave 'er a few cranks and then zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........rod bent right over, she was screaming drag and it was fish on. I did pick up a 24" fish a 1/2 hour or so later, nothing too special but it was nice to get on the board after what felt like an eternity of skunkings. Things really started heating up Sunday night into Monday/Monday night into Tuesday morning on June 6th (just as my buddy predicted). I only managed 1 fish between the two nights, a decent-sized 28" taken on the incoming tide as well as a bunch of hits that I couldn't hook up on. My buddy landed upwards of 20 fish between the two nights and had another 15+ hits that he couldn't hook up on. Things were especially hot Monday night into Tuesday morning as we fished 4 hours of the incoming tide, my buddy was getting hits/landing fish every 20 minutes or so for a good 4 hours and missed a bunch more. Again nothing huge to write home about, a couple real shorts in the upper teens but the majority of the fish were in the 26-30" range, all seemed be very hungry and quite feisty. I haven't seen fishing up here like this in years and my buddy can't recall the last time he had that many hits/hook-ups in a night of fishing, so here's hoping for more to come.

See less See more
#3 ·
camp ellis area has been on fire the past few days. i've pulled probably 10ish fish out of that area in the past 2 days or so, majority of them at night and in the range of 26-30 inches. all of them on live or chunked macks. still waiting to check out the honey spot.... seems like most of them have been in between the slots, could this be another 40+ year ? i hope so

#4 ·
Hey Mike, welcome to the site man. I was down at Camp Ellis last Sunday night and there were stripers and bait fish all over the place. My buddy caught 5 fish, low to mid 20's mostly, floating worms over by the boat launch. I had a bunch of hits but couldn't manage to hook any up for whatever reason. Unfortunately, the only other rod I had with me was rigged up with 6 lb test for mackerel but I threw out a few small plugs, had fish on but they snapped me off. Beaches have cooled down a little bit but we're still getting a few a night in the mid 20 to low 30" range. The low tide coming in seems to be producing more than the high going out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.