Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

SHARK!!!!

Tags
shark
24K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  Fish Factor 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Shark Catch in Yarmouth Nova Scotia

This Mako was hooked in the mouth, only fought slightly for 15 minutes, came up along side of the boat to have a look, long enough for one of the crew to put a rope around it tail!!! That's when the s**t hit the fan!!
The shark took off towing the 42 foot fishing boat backwards through the water at about 7 Knots. Just like in JAWS. The boat was taking on water, the Shark would jump completely out of the water at times. This went on for an hour before the Shark actually drowned. He weighed in at 1035 LBS.

#8 ·
The scary thing about that shark was that it was a mako not a great white.
Experts estimate that the largest Great Whites, rarely seen and never captured, may reach over 7,000 lbs and 23 feet in length

http://www.wavescape.co.za/top_bar/tidings/Sharks/shark_KZN.html

The biggest Great White ever caught was a female of 6.4 meters, which was caught off Cuba in 1945. It weighed 3312 kilos and its girth reached 4.5 meters; several trucks were needed to tow and transport it. A 10 meter specimen is also said to have been captured, but neither photo nor expert account exists, only subjective statements. The record specimen are always female, since in the sharks, females have larger measurements than males.

Heres a pick of the largest caught on hook-and-line that was 3,450 lbs, snagged in 2002 off the coast of Natal:

Attachments

#10 ·
hey guys, i was heading back in today(manasquan inlet) when me and my buddy noticed 2 large fins sticking out of the water. we turned the boat to get a closer look, wasnt dolphin,or whale,but i dont think they were sharks either. anyway, i was gonna take a pic, but grabbed my rod instead.casted once, twice and the third time.....whaaaaaack. had em on for a long 6secs.lmao. but i have no idea as to what it was. fin was flimsey not stiff. can any1 help identify?ty:pbdoi:

#15 ·
Crazy Mako!! I thought we had out hands full with a 7ft 202lb Mako that we caught 12 miles SW of Nantucket. It took us almost 2 hours to boat it using a Penn 50 with stand up gear. We were also on a 23 ft Center Console.

Must have been something to land a fish like that. Makos as we all know have been known to do crazy things.....like trying to jump in your boat for one.....or come out of their "coma" and start thrasing on board

Anyway nice fish and it must have been enough to feed a small village

Attachments

#17 ·
Ocean sun fish are strange.....we used to see them a lot on whale watches when I worked for the New England Aquarium. They are enormous creatures but they just float, they can't swim and all they eat is microorganisms and such. Still pretty cool to see them....it would be amazing from a yak

#21 ·
Absolutely untrue. They can swim very fast when they want to and they often jump clear of the water in the springtime when they are mating. They mainly eat jellyfish. Every year a few are hooked by accident, probably becuase the jelly combs pile up on the shark leaders and they do put up one hell of a fight.

#18 ·
nice fish!!! we had about a 14ft hammerhead come up and bit like a 60 pound tuna right in half that we were fighting. it was amazing to see. we rigged up for that fish and put the other half of the tuna on and a bluefish we caught earlier. glad we didnt catch it though we were only in a 22 foot boat.
And the thing sticking up out of the water may have been a type of ray. bullnose maybe they do that alot where i am from and they stick both of their fins out of the water so you may have just seen one fish.

#20 ·
Yung$ said:
40 foot boat.... throw that sungun in forward and tow the shark in...
The shark took off towing the 42 foot fishing boat backwards through the water at about 7 Knots. Just like in JAWS. The boat was taking on water, the Shark would jump completely out of the water at times. This went on for an hour before the Shark actually drowned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.