The new guy - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 07-07-2005, 11:50 AM

Default The new guy

Hey guys/gals/ect.

New to the boards, I find them very infomative. This is the first striper season I have actually gone out more then twice and I am having a killer time. One question though, I usally fish at Plum Island, I've heard they have a spring run and a fall run. Would anyone know rougly what month the spring run gives up, and what month the fall run picks up?

Thanks everyone!

edit: almost forgot another question thats been nagging me...

The other night at like 11:30pm I decided to go out to the Merrimack river in my hometown (Lowell, MA) and see if I could catch some carp... no carp, but there were big fishing coming to the top all around me... could these have been stripers? Im dying to find out because Im not sure if stripers can get that high in the river, but if they can, i'd like to go out where I carp fish and catch some striper =p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2005, 12:02 PM
Pro Staff

Welcome Shaun!
Those are questions for the King of the Merrimac, King of Eels, altogether royal master of the stripey fishies, Mr. Roccus himself. I'm sure he'll pipe up soon!!
Old 07-07-2005, 01:01 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Welcome to the board :wave: :yeah:

The Spring Herring Run usually starts sometime around Mothers Day, around May 10-15th. Striped Bass just arriving around here during their Northern migration will shoot up the rivers to the dams to feast on the Herring (Alewives) returning from their freshwater spawning.

The Fall Run starts in Sept. and ends sometimes in Oct. Some Bass will again return to the dams to wait for juvenile Herring to come over into the salt. Schools of Bass will also be right along the shoreline pounding the hell out of the Peanut Bunker in the Fall. Makes for some real fun topwater fishing!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2005, 01:39 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Once the fish arrive in may, they are there until october,schools of fish filter in and out of the river and along the beachfront as they migrate north to their summer homes, by early July resident fish have taken up posts in the river and along the beach front,fishing is strong all summer,you must put in your time and alot of it under the cover of darkness,the fish begin to school and feed heavy by early September but the fishing remains fast until the October line storms send them south....

I'm quite certain those fish you saw were carp,they willl roll and frolic at night,I'm not real sure but they still could be spawning as well,but are day time feeders and I've never heard of one being caught at night...

Stripers do live in the river above the dam,but fishing for them can be tiresome,there is a winter over resident population in the concord river where it meets the Merrimack...
Old 07-07-2005, 02:11 PM
Veteran

Welcome aboard.