Total Beginner - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 02-28-2013, 12:48 PM
Official Member

Default Total Beginner

Hi I am new to salt water but recently moved to Norwalk and figure I may as well give it a try. I have been fishing for Trout and Bass in freshwater my whole life but know that salt water is a whole new world. So I guess what I am getting at is I am looking for any advice people are willing to give on rod/reel, locations, when to fish the tides, local bait shops.......

Eventually I want to get a boat to go out and fish in the sound but will probably just get a smaller boat sufficient to get out a little ways since the larger the boat the larger the budget and my budget is pretty slim.

So for now I will be fishing from shore (surf casting) I still need to get a decent rod and reel set up and then figure out where to go.

Is anyone catching stripers at this point in the year?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Wellcraft V20 w/ 150HP OceanRunner

Smile Re: Total Beginner

Been there, done that. First off, there are no striped bass in these waters as of yet. Usually, the end of April, beginning of May it begins. When it first begins, fishing any time of day will produce fish (stripers tend to be night feeders). As for the setup, you would do good with an 8' minimum rod, medium to heavy, and a medium sized reel. Obviously, some are better than others and you tend to get what you pay for. As for the boat, I have one and got it for the same reasons you want one. It does not make a difference. I catch more/bigger fish from the shore and my only expense is the bait. You do not need to cast a country mile out into the water. You will catch stripers in as little as 3 feet of water (and big ones too). Save your money on the boat right now and concentrate on the beach fishing. Once they start biting, you will be hooked for life, especially when you land that big one. Good luck to you. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and I am sure others will chime in with specifics on rod/reel types and models. Keep us posted on how you make out.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Official Member

Default Re: Total Beginner

Salty,

Thanks so much for all your advice. I will stick to the beaches at first, any advice onto a good one to start at? Also I am a fly fisher and just got a salt water fly fishing set up, where would be a good place/area to get out fly fishing for stripers?

Again thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Been there, done that. First off, there are no striped bass in these waters as of yet. Usually, the end of April, beginning of May it begins. When it first begins, fishing any time of day will produce fish (stripers tend to be night feeders). As for the setup, you would do good with an 8' minimum rod, medium to heavy, and a medium sized reel. Obviously, some are better than others and you tend to get what you pay for. As for the boat, I have one and got it for the same reasons you want one. It does not make a difference. I catch more/bigger fish from the shore and my only expense is the bait. You do not need to cast a country mile out into the water. You will catch stripers in as little as 3 feet of water (and big ones too). Save your money on the boat right now and concentrate on the beach fishing. Once they start biting, you will be hooked for life, especially when you land that big one. Good luck to you. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and I am sure others will chime in with specifics on rod/reel types and models. Keep us posted on how you make out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Wellcraft V20 w/ 150HP OceanRunner

Not very familiar with the beaches in your area. Best bet is to go into tackle shops near you and pick their brains. They can be very helpful. Don't be afraid to ask questions. As for fly fishing stripers, a pair of waders will help and you can just wade in and fish. Like I said, stripers often come into the shallows and big ones at that. There are plenty of guys on this forum that fly fish and probably would be of more help. Sorry for that, but someone can help you more specifically. You don't need to wait for springtime to hit the tackle shops.Go in now and look around and make yourself known to them. They will help, but they won't give you too much info. Fishermen are like that. They will protect their best spots at all cost, lol. Also, go to the beaches frequently, especially at low tide, You will get more of a feel for what the beach looks like with no water, so when you do fish, you will know where all the holes and ridges are. Hope this helped.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Official Member

Thanks for all the help Salty!

If anyone else has any advice please feel free to let me know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Not very familiar with the beaches in your area. Best bet is to go into tackle shops near you and pick their brains. They can be very helpful. Don't be afraid to ask questions. As for fly fishing stripers, a pair of waders will help and you can just wade in and fish. Like I said, stripers often come into the shallows and big ones at that. There are plenty of guys on this forum that fly fish and probably would be of more help. Sorry for that, but someone can help you more specifically. You don't need to wait for springtime to hit the tackle shops.Go in now and look around and make yourself known to them. They will help, but they won't give you too much info. Fishermen are like that. They will protect their best spots at all cost, lol. Also, go to the beaches frequently, especially at low tide, You will get more of a feel for what the beach looks like with no water, so when you do fish, you will know where all the holes and ridges are. Hope this helped.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:37 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

if your in conn. check out westport outfitters. since you flyrod already it may be more productive for you to wet a line that way. i'd be totally surprised if you don't fish that way exclusively once you catch a bass or bluefish on a fly you tied yourself. besides fly gear they also have anything you would need. there are some seedy areas you wanna stay clear of. i have not been up there in some time.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:51 PM
Official Member

Thanks for the info Zimno.
I'm sure I'll be hooked on the salt water fly fishing!!
As for the "seedy areas" any idea what areas I should avoid?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
if your in conn. check out westport outfitters. since you flyrod already it may be more productive for you to wet a line that way. i'd be totally surprised if you don't fish that way exclusively once you catch a bass or bluefish on a fly you tied yourself. besides fly gear they also have anything you would need. there are some seedy areas you wanna stay clear of. i have not been up there in some time.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:48 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

since i'm not from there i won't berate any area as i learned a long time ago what happens when you insult people on the internet. if you look above you will see a SEARCH button... key in connecticut hot spots and conn. areas etc. there are archival threads on the site that are at the very least good reading for you since it pertains to that area. as a matter of fact... any key words you put in the SEARCH button will give you hours upon hours of reading material that will give you answers to most anything you wish to know about. saves time in waiting for answers. if you don't get the answer to what you want? post a question in that thread and everyone who has posted in it before should be notified that an inquiry has been placed and SOMEBODY hopefully will respond. alot of times gents come online and ask ("to some here") drivel and beaten horse questions that, will prompt only mediocre answers from less experienced fellows who feel they need to help. but through no fault of their own they sometimes give inadequate or choppy info. take some time to do this search and you will see how informative it can be. this is a dead horse i don't mind beating as most guys don't figure it out and i try and help them navigate thier way thru the site. go to the connecticut forum and post as well. thos guys will steer you in the right direction should they be so inclined.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:13 PM
Official Member

It looks like we are in the same situation. I too have a background in freshwater. I am covering Fairfield County for construction sales and have wondered about any good spots myself. As for seedy areas watch out for Bridgeport. Some areas can be a little rough at night. They will be building a Bass Pro Shops there soon however. I know where my money will be going!

Good luck in your pursuit. If you find some fishable areas let me know. I'm looking to spend a few hours after work anytime. Smallies near my house are fun but I'd like to have the same success in salt water.