Trolling--Weight to Depth Ratio - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Kayaking Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Kayaking Stripers A forum for the YAK'rs out there.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Official Member

Default Trolling--Weight to Depth Ratio

Morning,

This has been a good 1st season kayak fishing. 3 stripers (1 keeper, but released), 2 blues and one that got away (straightened a 30# clip).

I've been trolling soft plastics with success, but I don't know if the plastic is getting deep when I'm in deeper water. I'm using a 1/8 oz weighted hook. My speeds are obviously limited in kayak, so it's safe to say I'm "slow trolling".

Is there any resources, or does anybody have any experience with different weights and their depth when trolling? I have some slip weights (1/4 oz) I can add, but didn't know how deep they would take the lure.

Thank you,

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2011, 09:58 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Trolling--Weight to Depth Ratio

There are a lot of factors (speed, current, weight of lure, weight of line) etc.

It would help if you could mount a GPS on the yak to get your true speed. The other question is what are you fishing with and what is your target depth? Are you trying for 10 feet down or 40 down?

There are a lot of charts out there like this... http://www.daybreakfishing.com/LureDepth.html

I doubt you will be pulling U-rigs on tha yak, so we can rule that one out.

The other thing would be lead core line and lead core line charts. Normally here we use lead code @ 2-3 mph, you will be doing a lot less and should look at some of the speed/depth charts for salmon which normally are fished a lot slower.

Here is a nice chart for lead core.

http://www.efishingbooks.com/info/leadcore_line.php

For me, my kayak fishing is limited to winter on the lake and typically the stripers are in the 1st 10' of water so I just use a swimbait with 1/2 oz or deepdriver.

Good luck, there is nothing more fun than hooking into a striper on a kayak.

Kyle