Need advice, been awhile. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Chesapeake Bay
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Chesapeake Bay A sub-forum for the Chesapeake Bay and all its tributaries Rockfish Rocks.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:43 PM

Default Need advice, been awhile.

Maybe I shoud have posted in here, I posted this same request in the striper forum. Hope there are some VA. guys can help me out.

This is my first post and trying to get back in the game.

First off, let me say there is alot of knowledge here and glad of it.The only way I fished them before was at night casting rattle traps to the Chesapeake Bay bridge pillings and live eel jigging around the high rise bridge Would like to do some day time trolling(only way the wife will go) both around the bay and ocean front during trophy season.

Its been almost ten years since targeting the ROCK. Just bought a new boat and getting set up with tackle. So far I have 2 TLD20s and 2 TLD25s all 30-50lb class roller rods 5'6". What lines are mostly preffered and baits along with how too. I know this is alot of info that Im asking and brobably been asked alot. I only want to be prepared and at least look like I know what Im doing.

Thanks in advance for your input and patience.
Butch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2009, 06:53 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Need advice, been awhile.

I can not answer those questions but I am surprised no one else has yet. Maybe they're all out fishing this time of year
Old 10-05-2009, 08:44 AM

Yea, most everything thing I have found pertains to up north and surf fishing. Our season starts reel soon! The 12th I believe. I will be out there 14th-18th.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:22 AM

Come on guys! I came here hoping to get the best info possible for trolling and rigging for my application. I just want to be on top of my game. PLEASE!
Old 10-25-2009, 02:49 PM

Everybody is going to have a different opinion on this but for starters,

I use 60lb braid with a 40lb mono leader.

For trolling pick up a few umbrella rigs. Rig them with 4" to 6" rubber shads, white or Chartruse.

Tie one or two trailers behind this with 2-6oz jig head with another rubber shad,pork rhine, or twister on it.

Pick up many different jig heads 2oz to 8oz

You can also rig a tandum rig with these. Heavier jig in front.

All of the rigs above can be trolled as is for fish up high, on a downrigger for specific depth or with a heavy weight in front anywhere from 3ft to 10ft to get them down near the bottom.

Most charters use 12-14oz weights to get these down.

So you would have braid to weight to mono leader to umbrella or from weight to tandom rig.

This is the bread and butter setup for the bay however many people troll single as well including myself. I don't perticularly like umbrellas as you feel like you are reeling in a brick.

I like to troll a Tony Acetta #15 or 17 spoon as well as Rapala type baits from time to time as well. You will have to experiment with sizes vs time of year etc but this should get you started.