Penn 140 Squidder Drag Problem.. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Reels and Reel Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Reels and Reel Maintenance Reel Maintenance and schematics - Discussion on spinning and conventional fishing reels - teardowns and hard to find parts

Old 01-10-2009, 10:38 PM

Default Penn 140 Squidder Drag Problem..

Hi Guys,
I really need some sound advice on this one. My father-in-law gave me one of his old boat poles years ago and it had a Penn140 Squidder on it. I've enjoyed fishing with the pole even though it was pretty beat up. With no fish in the surf at this time i was looking for a project and decided to replace the all of the guides and the gnarly tip on this rod. So I wound up doing my first rod restoration project. I hand wound two layers of thread and applied the epoxy to the wraps in my garage. I'm pretty happy with the way that I "Rube Goldberged" a cordless drill, tie wraps and a toilet paper roll to turn the rod until the epoxy was set.

Then I turned to the reel. The old squidder didn't have a really strong drag to begin with but in cleaning it up I must have gotten some lube into the drag washers because it's all but gone now. From what I've read I must need to replace all of the drag washers but I've never had one of these babies apart (yet). I read about it on a web site and it sounded fairly easy to do with the only gotcha being the dog spring. But I'm wondering if it's worth doing myself and getting the experience or is it just cheaper and less hassle to take it to a pro?

It's a squidder 140 with six screws on the port side.

Any advice that you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Veteran Striper Chaser

Default Re: Penn 140 Squidder Drag Problem..

You don,t have to take out the port side screws.there is "one protruding thumb screw on the port side. Backit off(not out) and then putting your palms over the bothend plates twist them counter clockwise(no tools)just hands. That should open it up IF NOT GET HELP
Old 01-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Veteran Striper Chaser

Sorry,sorry,sorry that screw is on the starbard side that protrudes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2009, 11:29 PM
Striper Hunter

if you want the reel rebuilt you can send it to penn reels in Philly they are on Hunting Park Ave. Squidders are good reels.