lead molds and v-blocks....and a little bucktail.. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:35 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Default lead molds and v-blocks....and a little bucktail..

smulax asked about melting lead and respirators...ive got a few extra things to show off so i started a new thread...

first are the lead molds a friend of mine made..the first is for solid slugs, each slug cavity measures 2" deep and 5/16" in diameter. the second mold is pinned for wire through. the pins are 1/8" and the cavity depth is also 2", with 5/16" diameter holes. next are the v-blocks, first block has a shallow cut and a deep cut on the other side. the second block is screwed to a base so it can be used both vertically and horizontally, either on or off the base. there is a series of 1/4" holes drilled in the center of the v-cut so i can put in a steel pin to adjust vertical height of my plug at the block. doing that keeps me from having to move my drill press table too often, and i can use the pin for some horizontal applications as well. next is a picture of the respirator i use when turning, lead pouring, and painting. it has replaceable filter pads, one set for wood dust, and one for lead, and paint.

third is what ive been working on lateley...i havnt had much time in the workshop, so i made a "portable" fly tying station and ive been at the dining area table busy tying....a few flies and droppers, and a boat load of bucktail tied vmc's. i just started to turn a few blocks of wood, and i primmed a handfull left over from summer experimenting...im in no rush. i had some real winnners and a few losers last season...this year i will be working on a few styles that worked well this past season...and a few prototypes for next seasons field testing. ill post some pics of finished product as soon as i start painting...maybe a few by the end of the month.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mold1.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	4073   Click image for larger version

Name:	mold2.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	4074   Click image for larger version

Name:	mask.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	4075   Click image for larger version

Name:	droppers.jpg
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	4076   Click image for larger version

Name:	droppers1.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	4077  

Name:	droppers2.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	4078   Click image for larger version

Name:	tails.jpg
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	4079  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2007, 12:39 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Default Re: lead molds and v-blocks....and a little bucktail..

another bucktail vmc view...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tails1.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	4080  
Old 12-08-2007, 12:52 AM

Great looking stuff jimi4290! The bucktails look sweet!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2007, 05:20 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO'Bassman View Post
Great looking stuff jimi4290! The bucktails look sweet!!
Yes,,, What he said Great looking stuff.

I was making wood chips last night and plan on making more this weekend. It will be interesting to see which catch fish and which don't, but that's part of the fun.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:52 PM

Nice work.

Do you use real feathers?
Old 12-10-2007, 08:58 PM
Veteran Elite

Thanks for the great info. looks like a tackle shop in in the basement. I will have to come visit this winter. I am in the process of obtaining lead and getting a mold drilled out for my specs. at present I have about 30 plugs that have been sealed and are drying. and 25 or so more that need belly weights.

good Idea with the v blocks.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:13 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Monteith View Post
Nice work.

Do you use real feathers?
yes..real deer fur as well, one of my hunter buddies just gave my six tails and enough belly hyde to tie more tails then i got hooks...im gonna experiment with dying my own colors next.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:23 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by smulax View Post
Thanks for the great info. looks like a tackle shop in in the basement. I will have to come visit this winter. I am in the process of obtaining lead and getting a mold drilled out for my specs. at present I have about 30 plugs that have been sealed and are drying. and 25 or so more that need belly weights.

good Idea with the v blocks.
your welcome mike, ill take a few pics of my work stations as soon as i get the painting area cleaned up and ready to paint...ive done a lot of re-arranging with the little time of been able to get to the dungeon..im thinking by the weekend ill be ready to take some pics of stuff in the works and the whole workshop area. as far as tools go..following in rocs shadow..when im trying to accomplish a certain task, i first firgure out the best way to complete it with consistency, and make tools or jigs, or have them made accordingly. i just turned a batch of stubby swimmers and 6" danny style swimmers. then i spent a half hour making a jig i set in the v-block, which allows me to drill the belly weight on all of them in the same spot without measuring each one and marking them..then i simply move a pin and then i can drill the hook hole in the same way. big time saver..and the more important benefit is consistency from plug to plug.....boy i hope they swim.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:21 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi4290 View Post
...im gonna experiment with dying my own colors next.
Jimi- Just a thought about dying.
Staples has a huge assortment of different colored Permenant Majic markers. Don't forget the flourescent highlites that are available.
I've used them on feathers and tail hairs with very acceptable results for bucktails, flies, & jigs.
Either before or after tying works. If after, it makes it interesting to graduate colores from top to bottom or front to rear, etc.
My favorites are flour. green, blue, yellow, and of course black. (only wish they'd make a grey)