Steroids in Baseball - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Around The Woodstove > The Sports Bar
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Sports Bar Sports talk. Football / Baseball / Hockey / Basketball / Boxing / Nascar / Golf / Etc. Fantasy Sports!

Old 05-29-2006, 01:11 PM

Default Steroids in Baseball

Baroid broke ole babes record yesterday. what a shame.
Using roids is like using an aluminum bat while everyone else is using a wood bat. Complete farce. Only people in San Fran showing this guy any love. And Oh Jon Kruk. Give it a break kruky the guy cheated.

The Babe spent his first five years as a pitcher
and he has more career shutouts than Pedro Martinez.
Bonds spent his first five alienating his manager, teamates and the press.
Now they are supposed to give him a break? I dont think so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2006, 01:25 PM

Old 11-16-2007, 02:14 AM

Default Re: Baroid Bonds 715 Nary a mention

Bonds indicted for lying to a grand jury. Barry Bonds was indicted Thursday on five felony charges -- four for perjury and one for obstruction of justice -- for testifying before a federal grand jury in 2003 that he never used anabolic steroids or human growth hormone.
Filed exactly 100 days after Bonds passed Hank Aaron to become baseball's career home run leader, the indictment capped a four-year federal investigation into steroid use by elite athletes. Bonds has long been considered the primary target of the investigation. Seven others have pleaded guilty in the case, most recently former Olympic sprinter Marion Jones.
The indictment said, "During the criminal investigation, evidence was obtained including positive tests for the presence of anabolic steroids and other performance-enhancing substances for Bonds and other professional athletes."
Eight pages of the indictment quoted Bonds' Dec. 4, 2003, testimony to a federal grand jury and underlined answers that the government said were perjuries.
Bonds had been given immunity for the testimony, meaning he could only be prosecuted for information he gave if he lied. A number of other elite athletes who were given immunity by the grand jury did admit to their steroid use under oath and have not been indicted, including the New York Yankees Jason Giambi.
One count says Bonds lied when he denied ever taking steroids from Anderson in 2000 and 2001. Another count says he lied in denying anyone but physicians had given him injections or drawn blood. A third count says he lied when he denied that Anderson had given him human growth hormone. The fourth perjury count says he lied about the timing of when he received a steroid cream from Anderson, saying it was before the 2003 season. The obstruction of justice count relates to all the alleged perjuries and "evasive and misleading testimony."
Among the witnesses who spoke to the grand jury about Bonds were Kimberly Bell, his girlfriend and mistress for nine years, and Steve Hoskins, his former best friend and partner in the memorabilia business. Both said he flew into steroid rages, but neither one said they had ever witnessed Bonds taking steroids. The grand jury also interviewed Bonds' physician, Dr. Arthur Ting, and Giants athletic trainer Stan Conte.
The BALCO case started in August 2002 and quickly focused on Bonds because his trainer, Anderson, was a BALCO client.
A search of BALCO in September 2003 uncovered coded evidence about Anderson and Bonds, but Anderson has refused to testify against Bonds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2007, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Steroids in Baseball

Pete Rose was quoted as saying these steroid guys "are making a mockery of the game".

Pot meet kettle: Kettle meet Pot.

Rose has a very valid point.

Dennis Miller’s interview with Pete Rose airs tonight on versus. Here’s an excerpt:
Miller: “Your juices were always flowing. Thank God they didn’t have steroids back then.”
Rose: “I would have got 5,000 hits.”
Other nuggets from Rose:
“The Mitchell Report comes out and I never thought anybody would make me look like an altar boy.”
“If you’re gonna put these guys that supposedly did steroids into the Hall of Fame, I mean, I gotta get a shot somewhere.”
“I’ve been suspended 18 years for betting on my own team to win. I was wrong, but these guys today, if the allegations are true, they’re making a mockery of the game.”

Old 12-19-2007, 08:57 PM
First Mate

always thought pete got a raw deal but when you're an arrogant moron stuff like that happens. as far as thr roids goes i say who cares. i don't. i don't care how these guys hit like they do or pitch like they do as long as they do.
now that it's out in the open i think if a player hasn't tested positive up to this point they should just move forward- amnesty for all- just call it the steroid era much like the dead ball era of the early 1900's.
i don't care how my mechanic fixes my car as long as he fixes it a nd i don't care how sheffield hits screaming liners as long as he does.
and for you guys cryin about bonds and the folks in frisco cheering for him don't be a hypocrite if it was big poppy (and it prolly was) or arod you'd be cheerin just as hard.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
now that it's out in the open i think if a player hasn't tested positive up to this point they should just move forward- amnesty for all- just call it the steroid era much like the dead ball era of the early 1900's.
Mike they really dont have any choices but to do just that. Personally I wouldnt be cheering just as hard. I think they all sicken me. The ones who sicken me less were the guys who at least admitted it, instead of bold faced lying about it like Rafael Palmeiro and others did.
It wont be long before another incident happens like the one that happened to Chris Benoit the wrestler.
Now it becomes clearer why the meltdowns by guys like Milton Bradley and Carl Everett.
The other side is the freakish collegen tisssue injuries that occur because they cant compete with muscle tissue. 20 million a year and the guys out for the year because he seperated his shoulder swinging a bat. And i have to pay $75 for a mezzanine seat. I hope their balls atrophy and their pencils shrivel up.
BTW
I'll be cheering a little harder for guys like Frank Thomas, John Smoltz and Arod who are clean of the steroid issue.
Sammy Sosa and Mark MCguire. make me sick But thats just me. Ill get over it. Just like I got over the designated hitter, taking the black off the plate and the lowering of the mound.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:41 PM
First Mate

hey jim, were you one of the millions cheering for the bash brothers or the sosa-macguire homer race (like i was)? these guys and all pro athletes are just the show. nothing they do affects my life in any serious way and while i love baseball and football it's not like i connect with tthe players on a personal level, they are just entertainers and i don't give a damn what hey do
(unless they go 0-4 with three K's or walk 7 and give up four homers in 4 1/3 innings)
the steroid era has produced some exciting baseball-let me know how you like the game when your favorite team (the mets? jeez) wins the majority of their games 3-1 with four singles a walk and a bunt and the leading homer guy has 12 for the year (i think that was most ever hit in a year by "home run" baker)
personally i'd give it all up for some genetically engineered lions and steroid hyped christians battling at the colloseum!
Old 12-20-2007, 08:31 PM

Mikey. Im a purist. I like national league baseball. Pitcher hits, double switches. Bench plays a bigger role, bunt singles, hit and run, suicide squeezes and the blast from the cleanup guys.
Didnt much care for the bash brothers. Cant stand Sosa and his hops - never could - Tolerated McGuire. Enjoyed his humble display aknowledging Maris' acomplishment with his family. Dissappointed to learn it wasnt legit.
Canseco is just a circus clown.
Thanks for bringing up the Mets. Blow a 7 1/2 game lead with 17 games to go. Ill tell you why? Because they are a bunch of overpaid primadonas who needed a good kick in the ass, managed by former yankee Willie Randolph with the examine your inner child approach. They are ridiculous. I cant make the trades, Im not the GM. Over the years I watched them trade away Nolan Ryan, Amos Otis, Tom Seaver, David Cone, Lenny Dykstra, Roger McDowell and Scott Kazmir, just to name a few and get bonafied crapola in return. I had to suffer through guys like Vince Coleman and Bobby Bonilla. Damaged goods in Mo Vaughn and Robbie Alomar. Theres absolutely nothing I can do about that. Every year its a dissapointment.
This offseason they trade away Lastings Milledge for Ryan Church and Brian Schneider and let Lo Duca walk.
Then they give up Guilleirmo Moto for Johnny Estrada whom they dont offer a contract too. In doing so they get nothing for last years trade of Royce Ring and Heath Bell for Mota.
Milledge will haunt the mets for the next 10 years.
Minaya says Reyes is untouchable. Maybe he ought to be touchable.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:35 PM
First Mate

the national league is a dying entity my freind. the best hitters and pitchers bolt to the a.l. in search of the big paydays and i'm afraid after smoltz and glavine are gone you won't see another quality pitcher still in his prime stay in the n.l. for his whole career.
don't get me wrong i love baseball (the game) but as much as i do i try not to get caught up in the players. they are a pampered bunch and will chase the money (who wouldn't) so loyalty is a thing from our childhood. i've been going to fenway since the sixties(when me and my cousins wouls take the train to the ballpark and climb the old mr boston sign that used to stand behid the green monster) and a tiger fan since 66 and the one thing that has stayed the same is the game ("...the one constant is baseball ray") is constantly changing. it's not always good but it is what it is.
like i said i try not to get caught up in the players cause just when i do the tigers trade for cabrera and my new favorite player,brandon inge,already displaced once when the tiges signed ivan rodriguez (i know, don't say it) finds himself out of a job once again.
as for the roids-i'm sick of hearing about it and can't help but think if bonds had retired with say 610 homers, behind mays, we would have never heard a serious word about them. for the good of the game baseball needs to quietly move on. congress needs to stay out- they can't find their ass with both hands anyway-and mlb should institute a one strike policy-you get caught -
yer out! ok i've rambled enough