a bucktail jinx - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:09 PM
Lunker

Default a bucktail jinx

i for some reason cannot get fish while jigging.with the heat of summer upon us,i feel the urge to go deep. yet to say ive had little sucess with bucktails and eelskin jigs,would be putting it mildly.iam sometimes surrounded by guys jigging heavy bucktails up to 4 oz,in my favorite spots(i assume they get fish because i see them doing it all the time)yet every time i do i wind up changing to something else that i have a better comfort level with,and something ive had better results with.the exception being metal(hopkins,kastmasters etc...)with which i get steadier results.the area im refering to is the cape cod canal,where i do most of my fishing and can usually pick off a couple of fish by just going thru the bag to suit what im up against that day.i always carry a 3oz white buctail or two and try to take a few casts,once the sun risesand boat traffic picks up.i know im touchig bottom as i use braid and can feel it scraping bottom.especially this time of year i just feel as if im missing something by not doing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2007, 06:31 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Default Re: a bucktail jinx

For me, fishing bucktails is like fishing a rubber worm for largemouths.
Sometimes a "dressing" helps, usually I find it's not always best too. (one of them sometimes things)
I've had best luck fishing slow. When I think I'm too slow,, slow it some more. I prefer a stiffer rod, and keep in contact with the jig at all times. A sensative rod is a plus too because often a "pickup" is very delicate. Sometimes it's a hit and run,,, but usually it's just a light tap, or resistance in the normal retrieve. Set right away,,, even if you only think there maybe a pickup. They can be that delicate. Almost like a trout slurpin a fly.
I see a lot of folks casting and retrieving like it's a swimmer or a Cast Master. Occasionally they'll hook up,,, however, the guys around him that try and sneak it across the bottom (sorta like playing hide and seek) seem to catch 10:1.
In a strong tide I like to cast up current, and maintain just enough contact as it swings down and try to keep it from tumbling blindly. Only adding enough if it fetches on the bottom to free it up and continue the swing.
I think the simple bucktail is the hardest to fish effectively. It's unlike fishing any other lure.
Well, anyways, that's how I work them and it seems to work for me. Especially around a pod of blues!
I'm hooked on tins and jigs. So much so,, this is the first year I've fished any plugs of any sort in a good many years.
If you're not loosing jigs,,, you're doing something wrong.
Try to picture-
Puffs of sand getting kicked up
Make like searching for food with your jig
If using a tail, think squid trying to drag a meal to a safe dining area
Try to look like an easy meal to a disinterested bass
Try working with the current,, but keep it facing into current like a bait fish would
Try working around rocks, not up & over
Stay just above weeds and then just under in the next cast
Try back reeling into a strong current
Maybe worth a try, good luck.
Floats
Old 07-21-2007, 11:58 AM
Lunker

thanks flotsam,the first thing i always do when a lure is not producing as i think it should is switch things up a bit(change location,speed,depth,etc...)im sure if i keep at it with the stuff you mention, my luck will change.gonna try again in the morning.one other thing ,where i fish it always seems to be a daytime thing to do.anybody have any luck at night jigging from shore?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2007, 03:31 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

You betcha.
90% of all my fishing is after 11:00 p.m.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:13 PM
Lunker

well i got to my spot at 4 am,took 1 small fish early.moved around a bit and came on as many birds as i have seen in two years busting bait in the area of the herring run.took several fish with one just over keeper size with metal,pencils, and small poppers.saw 1 good fish caught,and guess what?....he was jigging 3 oz bucktails.i find it difficult to throw a jig with s..t breaking all over the place even though i know i should.

P.S. any one in the area of the cape should try to get there tommorow ,today was special in terms of #s of fish around
Old 07-22-2007, 07:55 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Would it help if you remembered that often times the big old lazy sows are on the bottom, picking up scraps from the little guys?
Not always true,,, but could be a warming thought.
Then again,, maybe a jig is all the other guy had. Never know.
Did he get any?
All in all,,, you probably made the wise choice.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:12 PM
Lunker

i know he got the fish jigging,i must have gone by him 3 or 4 times chasing birds on my bike.i know i took a bunch more fish than he did but nothing close in size.i see guys jigging in that spot often and have tried it my self but as i said,...im jig jinxed.i know what your saying though,i have counted off while fishing metal with fish breaking on top and though number of fish caught drops ,size seems to increase the deeper i let it go down.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:39 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

this time of year in the cannal, it was probably bluefish bustin all over the surface..with some schoolies mixed in...floatsum had a good point..the cows are usually on the bottom suckin up the scraps.....if you can figure out which direction the school of blues are going cast your jig just behind the school...let it drop..if presented correctly..you should pick up a big bass within a few minutes...the big bass are usually between 50-100 yards behind the blues on the bottom grazzing like lazy cows..everytime ive seen the birds workin like that..it was always on the other side of the canal from where ever i was....accept once...and at the time i had no idea what to do...i was throwing top water poppers to try and land whatever was on top..and sure enough, blues for me..but a few of the regulars yeilded good size bass...that day was the first time i ever heard of the bass being under the blues...
Old 07-23-2007, 07:49 PM
Lunker

thanks jimi,im99% sure this was 99% bass, its true blues are always in the mix in the canal.but of the many bass i saw caught and caught myself, there werent any blues around yesterday. ive seen that myself though, although not in the last couple of years for some reason.in my first years of fishing there to say blues were the predominant species would be an understatement.i dont know why but recently for me in the canal,say the last two years.a lot of the blitzes and mini blitzes i have stumbled upon have been all bass.sometimes good fish, mostly schoolies.but i digress.i promise the next time im in the middle of something like yesterday,i will drop the plugs and pick up the jig stick!