Need some advice - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Around The Woodstove > The Lounge
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Lounge Off-topic discussion here. Non-fishing related chit chat & banter. No Divisive subject matter - No Viscious Political and Religious debates please.

Old 06-07-2004, 02:23 PM

Default Need some advice

Hello all, I am first time visitor to this site. Anyway, I was thinking about starting to do a little fishing around the New York area but I have no idea what is around here in terms of ocean fishing. Secondly, I don?t have a boat... I am working an internship in the city... I was wondering what the most common type of fishing can be done from the piers. Also which piers should I visit and what tackle should I bring. I am have my rods and reels sent from home, I have done tons of deep sea fishing but it has always been chartered, I have done very little surf fishing. I heard something about Canarsie pier but I don?t know very much about this area. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2004, 05:12 PM

Default PRINCTON MP

Welcome to the site. A good place to start would be here. https://www.stripers247.com/Brooklyn.htm
A brief overview of the Brooklyn page, not entirely too much help but some useful information on the gateway national rec area which the pier is part of. The pier is located at belt parkway exit 13. The page has the pier at gps coordinates. Call the Jamaica Bay unit of Gateway for info and whether you need a pass or not. (718) 354-4606 You will need one if you plan to park there. Here is a picture of the park
http://www.han-padron.com/Project.asp?p=68
Pretty cool. The Brooklyn page has the local bait shops and phone numbers, give them a call and see what the local guys are buying for bait and ask where it is hot. Jamaica bay is an estuary and a great place to fish. Use a medium to heavy action 6 to 9 foot rod for the pier with a reel capable of handling at least 300 yards of 20 lb test line. This can vary depending on preference, but the fish out there are fairly big. Use 50 pound 2 to 3 feet of mono leader with 2 to 6 oz wight depending on the current there and a plastic fish finder or egg sinker to slide up and down the standing line. At least a 4/0 hook and fresh bunker, or sand worms for bait and your set. Hope this helps a little. Good luck
Jim