Opinions - Tica TF series reels (80007) - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Reels and Reel Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Reels and Reel Maintenance Reel Maintenance and schematics - Discussion on spinning and conventional fishing reels - teardowns and hard to find parts

Old 09-25-2006, 06:49 AM

Default Opinions - Tica TF series reels (80007)

Looking for a baitrunner type surf spinning reel. Opinions on how this reel compares to the Shimano Baitrunners in both there ability to take abuse and long-distance casting capabilities.

Thanks,

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2006, 10:24 AM
Veteran Elite

Not sure about that model. But I have 2 Tica Geminis (conventional), Tica Dolphin SE10000 (longcast style) and a Tica Caimen CM150 (casting) and I absolutely love them. I was casting my Dolphin for the first time last weekend and loved it. Great distance. My Geminis cast (straight out of the box) over 100 yards with 4oz. I would buy a Tica any day!!!!
Old 09-25-2006, 01:01 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Opinions - Tica TF series reels (80007)

I use a Okuma EB80 and I cant say anything bad about it. A few of the guys I fish with swear by the shimano baitrunners. I don't see a difference and neither do they since they are always complimenting my reel.

IMO they are the same but I'm sure someone will take issue with this statement.

In the past three days I've seen the same number of poles almost end up in the drink because they didn't have a baitrunner or it wasn't set.

Good fishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDB
Looking for a baitrunner type surf spinning reel. Opinions on how this reel compares to the Shimano Baitrunners in both there ability to take abuse and long-distance casting capabilities.

Thanks,

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2006, 01:44 PM

Quote:
In the past three days I've seen the same number of poles almost end up in the drink because they didn't have a baitrunner or it wasn't set.
And that's the reason why all my surf reels will forever be baitrunners/liveliners.

I do currently have the Shimano Baitrunner. The only issue I have with this reel is it really doesn't seem to cast as well as other spinning reels (non-free-spooling) that I've had (on the same rod). I think I've seen that there is a long-cast version of this reel available in the UK market but have not been able to find it sourced in the US.

The reason I'm interested in Tica's is that it's marketed as a long distance caster.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:51 PM

Shimano's patent on the self engaging baitrunner runs out this year.
Get ready for some sweet stuff from Daiwa.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:01 AM

Actually Suds, that's one of the features I don't like very much. It does make it idiot proof but I'd prefer the flexibility of just the lever to engage and disengage. I've got a Shakespere that works like that. With it, I can leave it in runner mode, reel in the slack, trip the lever, and strike the fish. There have times when the fish has made a fast run with the bait as I'm reeling in the slack. If the reel is still in runner mode, the fish won't feel any resistance if it catches me a little off guard.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDB
Actually Suds, that's one of the features I don't like very much. It does make it idiot proof but I'd prefer the flexibility of just the lever to engage and disengage. I've got a Shakespere that works like that. With it, I can leave it in runner mode, reel in the slack, trip the lever, and strike the fish. There have times when the fish has made a fast run with the bait as I'm reeling in the slack. If the reel is still in runner mode, the fish won't feel any resistance if it catches me a little off guard.
You have my interest!

I've got a spot where I live line peanuts in the late fall. Right now I use medium conventional gear and for the most part it works well. Occasionally the current line moves out a little bit and I can't reach it without putting a bit of snap in the cast which leads to the peanuts coming off the hook. I always thought that a baitrunner would be great in this situation, I could lob the bait out farther, but the inability to take up slack line without engaging the reel (like you can with conventional by rolling the spool back with your fingers) always put me off.
Your Shakespeare might be the ticket. What model is it, how heavy, what's the capacity ??

Thanks
Old 09-26-2006, 01:08 PM

I looked at the Shakespeare offerings and I believe is called the Tidewater.

Here's the link to what I found.

http://www.1stopfishingshop.com/TidewaterFreeliner.html

Obviously not a high priced reel but it's functioned very well for me now for about 4 years. A lot of times it does double duty as a trolling reel from the boat and when the wife wants to say she's fishing, I use it off the beach and give her the Shimano Baitrunner so she doesn't have to worry about manually engaging the fighting drag.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:52 PM

my opinion is that the Tica's are "cheap" Let's see in a few years if people still love em. Have they started using stainless bearings yet?
Old 10-01-2006, 09:26 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

I used to rave about Ticas until a few weeks ago when the anti reverse went on one of my Camry's along with it no longer laying line down level, but I got two years and tons of fish on it for around Fifty bucks so I can't really complain.