Questions for buying a new rod/reel - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 11-22-2004, 10:14 AM

Default Questions for buying a new rod/reel

Hey guys. I am new to the board and fairly new to fishing for stripers. Originally from Norfolk, Va. I have fished the waters of the Chesapeake Bay and off of the beaches of the OBX for several years. I now live in Charlotte and the majority of my fishing is done with a flyrod in the mountians of North Carolina. I am going to be moving back to the Tidewater (Norfolk) area soon and I'd like to pursue the art of Striper hunting a little bit more. But before I do that, I'd like to get some feedback on what you all would recommend as far as the rod/reel goes. I'm looking for something versatile that will allow me to fish from a boat as well as surf casting. Right now I am looking at the Shimano Stradic 5000 reel with an Inshore Extreme rod. Has anyone used this setup before? If so, what is your opinion. I appreciate the help and I'm glad to be on the board
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2004, 11:40 AM

First and foremost, welcome to the site Troutchaser. You'll find alot of helpful people here thats for sure.

I haven't used that setup before but it sounds like it will work just fine, especially from shore to boat usage.

For both boat and shore fishing, i use my 9' Diawa Eliminator with a Penn 8500ss hanging off it, wrapped around that is 30# test PowerPro braided line. I also use the 9500ss Penn series, the Penn Slammer 560, and various Penn conventional reels. Just about to aquire the Van Staal vs300 too.

I wish i could be more help but i'm pretty much a Penn dude.

once again, welcome to this great site my friend !!!

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS OWN DOMAIN 8)
Old 11-22-2004, 07:10 PM
Jigologist

troutchaser, I'v never used the setup myself but shimano makes decent reels.. if you plan on using braided line just verify that it handles braid well , meaning that the reel lays the line on the spool fully, top to bottom... I know the high-end shimanos handle it well.. I don't know where the stradic falls... what you do not want is for there to be gaps at top or bottom of the spool... even small gaps 1/16" can be trouble with braid..

I like my rods in graphite medium fast action.. an 8-9 footer would work well from a boat or shore/surf..

good luck to yah..