Herring are in.......Stipers are around.. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Delaware River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Delaware River A Forum for The Delaware River guys.

Old 04-17-2006, 10:04 AM

Default Herring are in.......Stipers are around..

Up @ Trenton on Saturday afternoon until about 3:30 and put about 20 herring in the livewell. Went down river a bit and anchored up and chunked and live-lined some herring, caught nothing, but about 50yds up river from us 2 guys boated 3 nice fish, one was 30lbs, congrats to them, sucks to be us!! LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2006, 03:28 PM

Default Latest striper and herring info

Hey all..

I noticed no one has posted in a couple of weeks.. anything going on around Trenton?? I was thinking that Saturday might be good.. just got boat up and out.. I'm new to stripers.. so what IS the deal with the "closed season"???
Can I fish in the trenton area and catch a striper?? or not?? I'm a little confused reading all this seemingly conflicting stuff.. just want to go for a couple of decent fish.. any help would be greatly appreciated.. thanmks

Jeff
Old 04-25-2006, 04:04 PM

Welcome to both you guys nu2 and boosted cpe.
I spoke to Carl at the South East regional district of the Pa fish and game. Telephone: 717-626-9081
It breaks down like this. During the closed season you can't harvest striped bass but you can catch them. In fact they encourage catch and release. There also are no tackle restrictions like circle hooks or size of hooks but you are limited to two rods.
Here is some updated reports from the Division of fisah and game http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/del_river_rpt06.htm#4-20
http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fis...ss_striped.htm
http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fis.../delaware.html
Hope this clears things up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2006, 09:10 PM

Default NIIIICE!

Thanks Jim.. nice quick reply! I was hoping you might say that..
Got a little tease way too late in the season last July and caught a couple of teanie ones in Trenton... Looking forward to finding some decent fish...

Any tips on herring catching from you old dogs?? I got a buddy who catches on a gold hook and rehooks and puts em out for the stripers.. but he's pretty hardcore...

And I know that no onbe wants to burn a good spot.. but would you say that they generally hang on the flats to feed on the running herring?? Again.. these are new fish and I'm a long time Walleye and Bass man... any tips are appreciated!

Thanks for the welcome!
cheers:
Jeff :
Old 04-26-2006, 10:21 PM

Jeff, we anchor up by the bridges and jig sabiki rigs off the bottom, when you feel a bite on give it a minute because herring are stupid fish and if they see another fish going after something they come right in behind each other. We use the "legal" 3 hook sabiki rigs, or cut in 1/2 6 hook rigs and make 2 out of 1. There actually are some restrictions on tackle, anything bigger than a 2/0 hook must be a circle hook, no matter what side you launch from, and also the 3 hook sabiki is the legal rig, anything over that is illegal, but I still see plenty of people using them.

As far as getting stripers by the bridges, that can prove tough with all the traffic you get in there, I suggest going upriver (if your boat is capable, ours is not :( ) or go down river to some flats. You can go into Boaters World, or West Marine, or any shop that sells Homeport Charts and find striper grounds listed out on them all the way up and down the river. The charts are a few years outdated, but with a decent sonar you can find the areas. We also get into about 20-25 ft of water around some of the bridges and setup anchor, and have had good luck doing this as well.

Good Luck,
tight lines!!

Mike
Old 04-27-2006, 08:28 AM

Default Thanks!!

Mike-

Thanks for that great reply!! As it happens I just picked up Sabiki rigs in a few sizes and flavors yesterday... still hoping to get out this weekend...thanks for the tip on cutting them up to make 'em "legal"... I heard you can drop some fish food or ground up pet food instead of a chum pot.. may try that too... Any special hooking technique for them herrings? Lip or dorsal?? size hook.. minnow harness?? Found the #28 chart at boaters world.. I'll get one of them too! Thanks again Mike... ( BTW I went to UMSH in Willow grove.. Class of '76...) See ya out there!

Jeff
Old 04-27-2006, 08:41 AM

Default and also..

Mike.. How far down from the Trenton Makes bridge are the flats?? I've been down as far as the Bristol Bridge from there... and how far up past the bridge are they?? I might be able to put the outdrive full up and use just the btroller to go up past the rocks... Thanks again!

Jeff
Old 04-27-2006, 11:42 PM

Jeff

There are some flats from the cove down marked on either side of the river, the striper grounds are marked and I have found that the fish can be in up to 35 ft of water, and as shallow as 3 ft. those general areas marked on that chart hold fish. I like to fish both the turnpike bridge area, and also the Burlington Bristol bridges. If you go south towards Station ave wall there are fish down there, some large fish......Also the creek and stream runouts where they dump into the river hold fish on either side of the runout. So far this year I havent had the touch, but it is still early, and last year I didnt have my first fish until the last weekend in April, so I am not worried yet.

when I send the herring down I hook them in different ways depending on if I am chunking, or live-lining. If I am chunking I cut about 2-3 inches behind the head on an angle and hook the fish along the top, behind its head with the hook point facing forward, any other chunks get hooked through the side. Live fish I hook just below the dorsal fin, they seem to stay very lively for a long time hooked this way, and you can see the fish swimming, and also getting nervous if something starts chasing it around. I used to hook them through the lip, from the bottom up through the snout, they die quicker. Depending on how the fish is reacting I will send it through the tail, and also get a rubber band and hook it through the lip of the fish and twist and tie the band around the hook, again, just depends on what seems to be working. Chunks have always caught my biggest fish for some reason, and I know others swear on live, whole fish. I catch them both ways, but the bigger ones on chunks.

Again, good luck..

Mike
Old 04-28-2006, 09:31 AM

Default Your a good teacher Mike!

Hey Mike..

Great response again!! Thanks for that excellent tutorial... like I said.. I'm going to try to get out tomorrow or Sunday.. I'll let you know what I do!! Thanks again for takin the time to school a newbie!
Cheers and good fishing!

Jeff