SHREWSBURY RIVER FISHING FROM A BRIDGE ???? SUDSY - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:39 PM
Lunker

Default SHREWSBURY RIVER FISHING FROM A BRIDGE ???? SUDSY

I FISHED SANDY HOOK QUITE A BIT LAST SEASON AND GOING OVER A RIVER TO GET TO THE HOOK YOU HAD TO PASS OVER THIS PRETTY DARN HIGH UP BRIDGE ,,,,CONSIDERING THAT #1 THE RIVER UNDERNEATH LOOKED EXTREMELY TEMPTING TO FISH AND THE ONLY WAY TO FISH IT WAS TO FISH FROM THE BRIDGE ITSELF AND #2 HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU GET THE FISH UP IF YOU HOOK THEM???? NOW RUMOR HAS IT THERE WAS THIS FISHERMAN THAT CAUGHT A 50 OR 60 LB. STRIPE BASS FROM THE BRIDGE AND VERY INGENIOUSLY SENT A GAFF BY ROPE DOWN TO THE WATER TO SNATCH HIS PRIZE AND BRING HIM UP,,,,I WOULD SAY...120FEET TO THE DECK OF THE BRIDGE........MY $64,000.00 QUESTION IS...............WAS IT YOU SUDS????......MY 5 BUCKS SAYS IT WAS !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2006, 02:23 AM

Not me, it was Brian Biedinger a friend, fellow club member and a hell of a good fisherman.

I don't do the bridge thing, yes there's some great fishing to be had but there are a lot of negative issues that go along with it.

It gets pretty crowded up there, something I don't tolerate very well and some of the crew that frequents that spot, to put it gently, aren't a lot of fun to have to put up with. Catch a fish, next thing you know they're climbing all over you.

Most of all it's the way you have to land the fish that puts me off. You clip a bridge gaff to your line and send it down, snag the fish and haul em up - not much chance for a successful release if the fish is under the size limit. It's not too bad now that we're back to 2 @ 28 because with the correct gear you just reel a short up. When it was one at 28 and the second at 34 we were seeing some really terrible waste. You can't winch a 34" fish up with just your rod n reel so guys were using the bridge gaffs then dropping them back in with huge holes in em when they were short.
I have real problems with that.

By the way, see this -

Please turn it off - it's real hard to read things in all caps
Old 03-23-2006, 03:22 AM

Two things:

What bridge was that?

--and--

Dude, I used to play tennis with/against Brian Biedinger in my old Middletown North days...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2006, 07:51 AM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy
Please turn it off - it's real hard to read things in all caps
Ditto,,, just in case you weren't aware, in forums like this all CAPS means you're shouting and is generally frowned upon.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:19 PM
Lunker

Default caps thing

Sorry about the caps thing. IT'S JUST that at my age it is easier to see without wearing my glasses. I did not mean to offend anyone,so sorrry,Tom
Old 03-24-2006, 09:22 PM

I'm not offended - just lazy
I find all caps very hard to read.

No harm, no foul.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:24 PM

Hey BG5150,
Is / was Brian as good a tennis players as I hear ?? He gives lessons and coaches for a living now, makes for a lot of time on the water.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:36 PM

Yeah. He was pretty good from what I remember. A couple of years younger than me--only played one year on the team with me.