New to Virginia - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Chesapeake Bay
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Chesapeake Bay A sub-forum for the Chesapeake Bay and all its tributaries Rockfish Rocks.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Official Member

Default New to Virginia

I just moved from Cape Cod, MA and I'm new to the Virginia area (Poquoson) and was hoping someone could direct me to some Forums/Threads on this site that have talked a little about bate/technique and maybe some hot spots.

In Cape Cod Bay we do a lot of "Tube and Worm" and Umbrella rig trolling at slowest speed possible for Stripers. Does this technique apply in this area?

Clearwater 2000 CC W/ OB 150 Yamaha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Official Member

Default Re: New to Virginia

Tubes are getting pretty good hits in the lower Potomac right now. Umbrella rigs are the "go to if nothing else works" at least in the Potomac. CBBT in the rocks are getting pretty good this time of year. I follow this guy's advise from time to time and he is pretty good. http://jetskibrian.com/
Old 08-01-2012, 08:40 PM
Official Member

if you are living in poquoson , just go down to messick point and launch your boat, all the winter rock fishing you want. Lots of home town people wil help you out, this time of year their targeting cobia..A good site would be tidalfish.com (VIRGINIA ANGLER ) also there are local meetings with the Poquoson anglers club that are announced on tidal fish..you are living in a hotspot, only 15 minutes from the bay bridge, a short hike to the poquoson reef ..You are not to familiar to the area a good GPS will help you a lot..oh yeh watch out for the north east winds they can be wicked in the bay..tight lines..

cfirth
24 albemarle express
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 09:05 PM
Official Member

Thanks for all the advice. I love Poquoson, tons of fishing. I was able to meet up with some locals recently and fish in the Chesapeake Bay Cobia Cup this month out of White House Cove Marina (Didn't catch any Cobia) and it was a blast.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Official Member

What's the deal with messick point? I'd like to try it out with my dad next weekend, but not sure what particular strategies to use there. Is there a bridge to fish at night with plugs? Or do most people troll in the daytime? Thanks for any help.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:44 PM
Official Member

The water temp is still in the upper 60s or low70s , it is still a bit early for trolling which is done mostly during the day.At night you can troll the light line of the HRBT or the M&M , but you will have to battle the boats that are anchored next to the bridge pilings. Those anchored boats are chunking bunker or using buck tails or plugs. I have been told that you can see the stripers lined up in the light line.I stick to day time fishing. Messick point does not have much night fishing that I am aware of. I have heard that you can fish the poquoson flats also known as egg island bar for trout. For day time trolling the water temp needs to drop a little bit, the small fish are there they just need something to get them feeding.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Official Member

How big is the river at messick pt? Would a Jon boat do ok there? Or would you need something a bit more stable?
Old 10-13-2012, 08:21 PM
Official Member

Messick point is about half mile from the Chesapeake bay you are right at the mouth.,less than a 10minute boat ride. That area can get really rough especially during a north east wind. I know my limits and I would not use a small jon boat there during the winter, the way the channel is cut the tide flys through there at times it hard to get out of the wind. When you get a chance you need to take a ride there and take a look, you will see what I am saying. During summer with a southerly wind it would be manageable some great flounder action close by along with trout.It is definitely fishable in a small boat you just pick your days.