Live eel rigging for beginners - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. > Shorebound - Surf Beginners
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Shorebound - Surf Beginners Information for the Shorebound angler

Old 09-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Live eel rigging for beginners

Hey guys, I am very much new to surfcasting. Me and a co-worker who are equally inexperienced in salt water fishing in general are planning on catching dusk on Friday night in hopes of finding some stripers. The plan is to use live eels.

My question is what is the best way to rig these to not be ripping them off the hook while casting out. I have read through both eyes, through the lower and then upper jaw, and through the lower jaw and out one eye.

What is the best so we're not spending all our time losing eels in a few nights.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2010, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Live eel rigging for beginners

Through the bottom jaw and out one eye.
Cast out - no weight. Let eel swim to bottom and reel in ever so slowly. - Rinse and repeat. When you feel the the sharp tap, lower your rod tip take a deep breath and cross its eyes.
You dont want to use a fast action rod to toss eels, it will rip the hook on the cast, a soft tip rod is great for pencils but horrible for eels.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:59 PM
Striper Hunter

I now see the pause for "take a deep breath"

On my first surf fishing excursion last night I fished with eels for about 2.5 hours before getting chased off by the tide coming in. The feeling of the eel on the end of the line the little "tap tap tap" is very confusing from someone who comes from fishing freshwater, feels like sunfish hitting a worm.

The tide was screaming in around 9:30 last night and we were getting ready to leave. I wanted a few more casts and at one point I felt the eel just go nuts for a few seconds, I heard a big woosh and splash, and my rod just bent over. Of course I jerked the tip up and started reeling like a madman while I walked backwards towards whore (). Needless to say after only a few seconds the fish released. Oh well

Chalk it up to a learning experience and I'll try it again tonight, still looking for that first striper of mine not on a charter boat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Striper Hunter

yeah i had a friend who; had a cheap rod and reel combo. he had a good size striper or blue. first i saw a big splash i looked back and hes standing on the rocks trying to hand line it in. the reed broke. he thought it was because it was a big fish ahhahahaha.