The Striped Ones Have Arrived. . . . . . - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Maine
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Maine Maine Striper Fishing discussion & reports

Old 05-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Young salt

Default The Striped Ones Have Arrived. . . . . .

The time is now to get out there and catch 'em fellas (and ladies). Reports of early season stripers showing up in the Saco River are beginning to surface with a 22" caught below the dam earlier this week. I went out yesterday with a small assortment of plugs but didn't do much in the way of catching anything.There were birds all over the place circling over head in search of bait but they too weren't having much luck. Shad have shown up in small numbers but that will only get better as the water temps rise. Fish should be making an appearance on a beach front near you soon if not now. Floating sand worms 2 at a time is how I'll be doing it early and often, tossing in clams and cut bait as the season progresses. Get out there and get 'em fellas, the season is officially underway here in north country
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Young salt

Default Re: The Striped Ones Have Arrived. . . . . .

41 views and not a single response, hmmm?? Wonder if that's why the first time I went down there were only a couple guys fishing, last night they were lined up on both sides of the river. I saw my first of the season caught, looked to me like a shad dart?? From what I could see it was pretty small, guessing between 15 and 17" but that may not be entirely accurate. It was big enough to get the old blood boiling I'll tell ya that much. . . . . . .
Old 05-16-2011, 02:57 PM
First Mate

Go get em Striper.....good luck
they were by here 3-4 weeks ago and now the bunker are showing up, here come the Blue ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 03:58 PM
Young salt

Oh yeah, they have been showing up the last week and a half or so, mostly shorts and not in great numbers BUT they are here. I took tomorrow off and will be hitting the Saco River tonight for my first "official" trip of the season. I've been out a few times for an hour here an hour there tossing some plugs but not much happening. To say that I am excited right now would be the understatement of the year. I am literally doing backflips at my desk.........not that I need to tell you anything about that man. Wish me luck, I'll report back on how I make out.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:49 PM
First Mate

Well don't catch them all. I won't be there until July. Last few years sucked. I'm hoping the weather isn't like last year.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:30 PM
Official Member

any one cathchin anything in the kennebunk yet?
Old 05-19-2011, 02:32 PM
Official Member

or any one getin live bait on sabiki rigs yet
Old 05-19-2011, 11:39 PM
NukinFuts

The fish have just started to show, you won't get much action out front, but check the rivers and marshes, you should pick some fish up in those areas.
Once it get warmer (think mid June), and the bait starts to drop out of the rivers, then start fishing out front, and in the bays.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Newb

Hey Will don't know if you remember me but if you don't its Jordan I haven't been on here for a while you gave me some advice on using sand worms a while back thanks by the way. Well I guess its that time of year again huh I can't wait to wet a line for the first time this year. The last time I talked to you I still hadn't bagged my first bass soo I figured I'd let you know I killed em last summer caught some really nice once ones and finally have a good feel for what I'm doing felt like you had a good part in that,your advice helped alot thanks man well good luck and tight lines.

Old fisherman never die they just smell that way.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:40 PM
First Mate

Hey this is Striperman Kennebec River,
Took a trip to saco last week saw a few caught,
Hooked on Two schoolies this morning in the rar north reaches of the kennebec in Waterville this is my stomping grounds..
Water is still high but things are starting to look up...
Old 06-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Bill W.

Yup, the fish are here. I've seen it with my own eyes today. :) What are folks using in the rivers at this time of year for the smaller size stripers?
Old 06-05-2011, 10:45 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldsoul4foos View Post
Yup, the fish are here. I've seen it with my own eyes today. :) What are folks using in the rivers at this time of year for the smaller size stripers?
I had good results in a smaller river using the old reliable tube & worm. 5 fish, only one of em below the slot, one above @ 28" and the rest right around 26"
Old 06-06-2011, 08:12 AM
Basstastic

Hey Will!

Been fishing cod exclusively on trips so far, but have seen a few taken from the Nonesuch when visiting my friends house. Get in touch and we'll head out when you get a day off. We had to travel a little to get them last year, but we got them every time...!!!!

Good luck on the Saco, I may bump into you down there some evening.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:45 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

good luck willy.... will be a really hot summer so get em while ya can. i can honestly say that from what i have heard from here to NE that you should do a whole lot better this year if the heat doesn't factor in. alot of fish where there were not so many last spring. be well.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:15 PM
Young salt

Hey Youngster, I remember ya man and I do recall giving ya the advice on floating them sandworms two at a time. Glad it turned into some success for ya and ya slayed the fish last year. If you ever make it down to Old Orchard definitely drop me a line so we can do some fishing.

Monkfish: Thanks for the reply man, I will definitely be getting in touch with ya the next time I have a day off so I can get out there and catch some fish with you guys.

zim: I hope you are right my friend, and all early reports that I'm reading and more so making myself have been spot on with your assesment. Things started out slow, my buddy and I were already starting the "uh oh, I hope it's not gonna be one of THOSE years" type conversations. Thankfully things have turned around and we're seeing both a good number of fish and a bunch of good sized fish already off the beaches and in the rivers. June 6th, as my buddy predicts every year, turned out to be D-Day. We fished both late Sunday night into Monday as well as Monday night into Tuesday and landed 21 fish ranging in size from mid teens to low 30's and a guy they call "Hollywood" landed a 42" a hundred yards or so down the beach. How you making out your way, you guys still have a run going on or are you already waiting for the fall run?