Surfcasting P.I.? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 07-17-2012, 03:25 PM
Official Member

Default Surfcasting P.I.?

I have gone out the past couple days before day break and have not seen much of anything. Do I need to look for a blitz or should I just keep casting and walking down the beach? Also, i have been using an SP minnow and Arkansas Shiner Sluggos on a jig head. Any tips would be much appreciated as I am only 15 yrs old and am a self taught fisherman.
Thanks,
Jake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2012, 03:40 AM
Official Member

Default Re: Surfcasting P.I.?

The season for us surf bound anglers has been slow on PI......until a few days ago. The ocean side of P.I. has been producing some decent sized schoolie bass. Last Friday night and into the wee hours of Saturday morning the boats were tight to the shoreline...always a good sign. The bait guys had a few hits but plugs were the key here as the schoolies would move up and down the beach good distances throughout the night. I was able to follow them for some good action where as for the bait guys it was not so easy to keep up with the constantly moving school. I did not here of any cows being taken but some action is better then no action. I have not seen any bluefish taken in the surf as of yet but I read reports that a few were taken near Cranes Beach so that should heat things up. The mouth of the Merrimack river has been dead as of late so I would not even bother with it for a few weeks. Also, the reservation is offlimits, even lot 1, as the plovers are still messing about. See ya in da suds..........
Old 07-22-2012, 07:58 AM
Striper Hunter

i commend your efforts for getting out before dawn...most 15 year olds i know sleep til noon.

and even though i'm sure your fast & full of energy at 15...trying to find & keep up with a blitz from shore is not possible. if one comes your way great...but they move quickly.

try some evening action on high tide (preferably a bright moon) and pitch some sluggo's or live eels behind some rips of a current nearby. not a gaurantee but might be a nice switch.

good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2012, 11:27 PM
Striper Hunter

As a new fisher to the area, I dont know all the abbreviations of spots yet. Can someone expand on PI?

EDIT- gonna guess plum island... so nevermind
Old 07-23-2012, 06:57 PM
Striper Hunter

Plum Island........where the Merrimack River meets the ocean
Old 07-28-2012, 03:26 PM
Official Member

Got back from PI early this morning after a night sog in the suds. The boats were hugging the shoreline and judging by the yokkels on board with their hooting and hollering they were into some good action. Unfortunatly while hey were close to shore it was out of casting distance from the shore. I saw no hook ups from anyone on the beach. I also spoke with an old timer who was complaining the action in the surf has been terrible for the last couple of years. The fish will hit the beaches but this has been very rare. So it is more a question of timing than skill right now. My advice for surfmen now is to stay home and wait for September....the fishing is dead.....great for boatguys...not for us landlubbers..........
Old 08-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Official Member

Well, I spent all of last night to shortly after sunrise working the surf on P.I. from the mouth down to the reservation with no action what so ever. This season has been crap from the surf and I could careless about the yahoos in the boats. I saw a guy pull up to the jetty in the mouth trying to live line and keep his boat clear of the rocks at the same time.......idiot fishing at it's finest. I used every thing in the surf bag from slugo's to tins with not so much as a hit. I talked with a few of the bait guys I ran into while working my way away and back to the mouth and they had no action either. Trust me folks, it is an honest report, the surf fishing at P.I. sux right now......stay home or get out on a boat if you can........again an honest report from someone, not employed by a tackle shop, who has surf fished up and down the striper coast for many years..........
Old 08-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Official Member

Ok, I went again last night to fish 2 hours before and after the high tide. I fished both the mouth and ocean front. The same results were had....nothing...not even a hit. I spoke to all the bait guys and they to were in the funk. The action is not slow....it is dead from the surf.......go elsewhere...Cape Ann, CC Canal,etc. anywhere but PI right now.....