Shallow streams vs deep Hudson spawning - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 03-23-2012, 02:51 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Shallow streams vs deep Hudson spawning

Do stripers come into the smaller shallow streams like salmon or do they stick to the deep waters of the Hudson for spawning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 02:55 PM
Striper Hunter - iFish NY

Default Re: Shallow streams vs deep Hudson spawning

the fish will move up the main river to an area with the correct water conditions (temp, salinity, etc)... they follow the herring which is the main forage food while in the Hudson... the herring will travel into the tributary creeks and you will see good numbers of stripers in some of these creeks chasing the herring... I have seen some pretty impressive fish come out of the creeks when the herring are in thick... some of the others have much more experience with this but thats my 2 cents

for the spawn I understand the fish stay in the main river but generally move into the warm shallow areas and flats to "knock boots" or "make the magic happen"... have never witnessed it happening but from some of the others reports its a pretty unreal scene with large cows breaking the surface and getting roughed up be the males...
Old 03-23-2012, 05:12 PM
Striper Hunter

Gotta say it's much more interesting to fish when you can visually see the fish, coming from 4 years of salmon fishing I love when I can spot them make the fishing more interesting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 05:39 PM
Striper Hunter

When their at the top doing there dance could use speargun or bow in the Hudson or is it only allowed in federal waters? I know it's illegal in nys waters just interested if they allow it in salt waters or beyond the brackish point
Old 03-23-2012, 06:00 PM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaly23 View Post
When their at the top doing there dance could use speargun or bow in the Hudson or is it only allowed in federal waters? I know it's illegal in nys waters just interested if they allow it in salt waters or beyond the brackish point
Or you could just leave them alone at that time and let them spawn. Taking fish off the spawning bed is the epitome of poor sportsmanship in my book.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:21 PM
Striper Hunter

Indeed killing while their in the process of spawning is cheap and something to avoid so we can have striper for the future, was just interested where state waters start. As scuba spear fishing is a sport also but Hudson would be too murky for any underwater fishing to even attempt it
Old 03-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Official Member

Quote:

WOW. The things i am thinking about you.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:06 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Do stripers come into the smaller shallow streams like salmon or do they stick to the deep waters of the Hudson for spawning

To answer you question they only go in the streams to feed. they run up on the flats and bump there bellies on the bottom this starts to get everything moving for the cows they then move to the channel where the spawning happens the eggs need to be in the water column for 48 hrs before they hatch. if they spawn in the shallows and the eggs grow algae the eggs and no longer fertile.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:19 PM
Striper Hunter

At least they feed which makes them easier to catch then salmon who only attack bait out of aggression. Do the stripers die upon spawning or shortly afterwards like the salmon or do they live on?
Old 03-23-2012, 11:05 PM
2014 stripers caught - 0

i remember 4 or so years ago, fish were spawning literally 15 feet from shore in front of me. I was in Cornwall, and saw so many fish (wish i took a video). I saw one fish surface, by far the biggest striper i ever saw, i woulda loved to known its size and weight. Saw many males circling and splashing around females. What a site it was
Old 03-24-2012, 07:39 AM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Do the stripers die upon spawning or shortly afterwards like the salmon or do they live on?
No, striped bass will live for many many years, spawning each year. They only reason they'll die while spawning is if some deuchbag thinks it's a cool idea to take advantage of their distraction for an easy kill.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Official Member
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakef View Post
or you could just leave them alone at that time and let them spawn. Taking fish off the spawning bed is the epitome of poor sportsmanship in my book.
+1
mike
Old 03-24-2012, 01:20 PM
Keelhauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF View Post
No, striped bass will live for many many years, spawning each year. They only reason they'll die while spawning is if some deuchbag thinks it's a cool idea to take advantage of their distraction for an easy kill.

All time best: 42"
Old 03-25-2012, 08:22 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF View Post
Very nicely said.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:21 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
not sure of regs but if u want to bowfish stick to carp (imo) i have seen many people doing so around some resiviors in putnam area. also Flying arrow sports in Camel is doing a bowfishing seminar in the near future.