Unbelieveable story of a MONSTER striper!!! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 05-03-2009, 08:59 PM
First Mate

Default Unbelieveable story of a MONSTER striper!!!

When my sister was at my parent's house today she told me that a co-worker told her he went out fishing saturday by the " white cliffs of Dover" ( not their REAL name) and was fishing alone. He had a hit on his baitrunner and the fish swam to the middle of the river. He finaly gets the fish to the boat and when it comes up it's the biggest striper he's ever seen- over four feet he says. When the striper sees the boat, it heads for the middle of the river again. This happens two more times. On the third and last time when the striper makes it's run for deeper water, she breaks free. Now for the amazing part. To avoid losing fish, he has been using a trebel stinger hook off of the circle hook. When the fish got off, not only were two of the three hooks of the treble straightened out, but SO WAS THE CIRCLE HOOK!!! I take this story as being 100% true due to the fact that he's not much of a BS'er. A fish that big was definately a new state record easy. Lesson learned- ALWAYS HAVE A NET MAN on board!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Default Re: Unbelieveable story of a MONSTER striper!!!

Crazy , i would sick to my stomach if that happened ... I believe there are lots of record fish out there !
Old 05-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Striper Hunter

jjj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2009, 10:26 PM
Captain Booty

I Believe!!!!! I had a Monster on last year from shore I can't ever turn It once!!! It headed for the Troy Dam, my drag was SMOKeIN!!!!!!
Old 05-04-2009, 07:21 AM
Official Member

Nice story.Lessions use strong hooks no less then 200yd. of 20lb. or greater line and a light drag and don't be afraid to pull the the hook
and go after her you just never know when it's gonna be BIG
Old 05-04-2009, 08:03 AM
First Mate

Believe it or not, my big one was held by one treble point by the time I got it to the boat. The lure had 2 trebles, but when we got the fish in the net, the lure fell right out of the fish's mouth. That one treble point was bent back so that it now points straight out, and they were quite strong hooks. If I had tightened down the drag much more, that fish would have been lost. Those circle hooks would be REALLY hard to bend though (at least the 6/0 and 7/0 we use). That must have been some very heavy line.

I have a question though...why a treble behind a circle hook to avoid lost fish? I have fished quite a bit with circle hooks when I use bait in Maine, and I enjoy using them to avoid gut-hooking or otherwise severely injuring a fish. Hookup ratio is actually quite good, and once they are on, they don't shake the hook easily. It seems like a stinger treble would negate all of the benefits of the circle hook. I'm not trying to be critical...just curious since it seems counter-intuitive.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:18 AM
Official Member

Hey i change all my treble hooks to vmc 3x or 4x strong. These hooks are unbendable. If you are using braid i have noticed it will straighted a hook out much easier. Still have to keep the drag loose as if you were using mono.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:02 AM
Official Member

Thumbs up Re: Unbelieveable story of a MONSTER striper!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner1 View Post
When my sister was at my parent's house today she told me that a co-worker told her he went out fishing saturday by the " white cliffs of Dover" ( not their REAL name) and was fishing alone. He had a hit on his baitrunner and the fish swam to the middle of the river. He finaly gets the fish to the boat and when it comes up it's the biggest striper he's ever seen- over four feet he says. When the striper sees the boat, it heads for the middle of the river again. This happens two more times. On the third and last time when the striper makes it's run for deeper water, she breaks free. Now for the amazing part. To avoid losing fish, he has been using a trebel stinger hook off of the circle hook. When the fish got off, not only were two of the three hooks of the treble straightened out, but SO WAS THE CIRCLE HOOK!!! I take this story as being 100% true due to the fact that he's not much of a BS'er. A fish that big was definately a new state record easy. Lesson learned- ALWAYS HAVE A NET MAN on board!
Old 05-05-2009, 11:04 AM
Official Member

A fish that big you dont need a net you need a harpoon
Old 05-11-2009, 09:02 PM

Sometimes you get a bad hook or the drag is too tight; one may touch the line and negate the drag, people get excited seeing a large fish panic and just pull to hard. I believe at times there is a much skill in fighting a fish as there is in catching one. I once had a fish smoke my drag while fishing for stripers I think it may have been a large Sturgeon I am not sure how large they get in the Hudson I hear tell they get over three hundred pounds. Sorry about the loss but happy if it gives anyone the striper fever. Those fish deserve great respect and protection so anyone looking for a great story has an opportunity.
Circle hooks are made so that when the line comes tight the fish hooks themselves hopefully in the corner of the mouth doing little damage to the fish. Treble hooks are usually set. In a fight a treble can wind up outside the fishes mouth where it can get snagged on anything and straightened or broken. The only unbelievable part of the story is the part about the fish being a state record at four feet, the rule of thumb is: the average weight for a healthy fish over fifty inches is one pound per inch. Fifty one inches is usually fifty one pounds.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:17 PM
First Mate

The big females are heavier than that before they spawn. A 48" fish can go 50 lbs. My State Record (49 3/8") was 55 lbs 6 ounces. I still doubt a 48"er would beat my record though.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:38 PM

Wow that's a lot of roe, thank you for the info.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:57 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrus View Post
Sometimes you get a bad hook or the drag is too tight; one may touch the line and negate the drag, people get excited seeing a large fish panic and just pull to hard. I believe at times there is a much skill in fighting a fish as there is in catching one. I once had a fish smoke my drag while fishing for stripers I think it may have been a large Sturgeon I am not sure how large they get in the Hudson I hear tell they get over three hundred pounds. Sorry about the loss but happy if it gives anyone the striper fever. Those fish deserve great respect and protection so anyone looking for a great story has an opportunity.
Circle hooks are made so that when the line comes tight the fish hooks themselves hopefully in the corner of the mouth doing little damage to the fish. Treble hooks are usually set. In a fight a treble can wind up outside the fishes mouth where it can get snagged on anything and straightened or broken. The only unbelievable part of the story is the part about the fish being a state record at four feet, the rule of thumb is: the average weight for a healthy fish over fifty inches is one pound per inch. Fifty one inches is usually fifty one pounds.
If you re-read my post you'll see I said that he said it was OVER four feet. There's no way a four foot fish would beat the current record- at least not an ocean striper. Maybe a landlocked one though.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Official Member

Really interesting story these types of the stories are really helpful to keep the attention and concentration of the people in the forum and also in this thread.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Striper Hunter

Kraken!