REELS? PENN Vs Shimano - Page 6 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop > Tackle Evaluation & Product review
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Tackle Evaluation & Product review Tackle listings and product review Forum

View Poll Results: Reels. Shimano Vs Penn Which manufacturer do you prefer for reels?
Shimano 73 40.33%
PENN 69 38.12%
No preference I like both 36 19.89%
No preference i like neither 3 1.66%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Cow Catcher

Default Re: REELS? PENN Vs Shimano

I own a 10ft airwave and its great light and has alot of spring action to get the plug out there and tossing eels...I tried a huge eel one time and snapped it in 3.LMAO . But Thank god for warranty from Dicks bring it back and get a new one free.
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2009, 04:38 PM
First Mate

I own a penn spinfisher and I can't tell you how much damage I have inflicted upon this reel to no avail. I sw my fiance dunking it in salt water (the sea) after she stepped on it in the sand and she didn't want me to see it covered with sand. The thing worked like its brand new everytime

I also owna boca ( which is a cabo minus the holes) and its pretty good as well. I like the titanium bail specifically and I'm getting the PT series for my Lami 11'
Old 08-08-2009, 05:57 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
My primaries are the ZB and the VS
For surfcasting the 704 - 06 cant be beat

The Cabo is a very nice reel too. My choice is the baitrunner more than the Cabo for bait fishing and the Cabo more than the baitrunner for plugs or slinging eels.
The Cabo is a quantum.
The other consideration for me with that reel - is the handle. I know its an improvement over the old one that had issues but it feels fat and a bit oversized for my liking.
I know this was an older post but thought I might chime in. I myself don't own and would not buy a VS. That's just me as for the money I think it should be better and more consistent from reel to reel. For the money I would rather have a Stella if I had to pick from the two, even though it's not completely waterproof. The ZB on the other hand is a fishing machine.

Back to the normal folks reels I like the Baitrunner series and I hope the new D series is as good as it looks and feels new. I tried one out at the store and it is very nice, hope to be slinging one this fall. I do agree though if throwing plugs all day the Cabo might be nicer on the arm and Quantum has greatly improved their reels over the years. The new Baitrunner D series is lighter than the older a and b series though when you compare equal models. It's pretty nice with 20 lbs of drag on the 6000, and those dartaniums should last.
For the money nothing beats the Z series on the beach, and just imagine it's a reel that was designed 50 or 60 yrs ago(704z). Many of the new reels made don't have have the drag those oold Penns have. Many folks try to make the HT100 drags work on their reels.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:49 PM
reelman

I use both the shimano spheros 14000fb and saragosa 14000 love em both never let me down! I also have a Penn 750 ssm and 950ssm and both seem to have bail problems and have contacted penn on this problem and they keep sending new bails but they to are the same loose and floaty u would think that wouldn't be an issue for a reel maker like Penn so makes u wunder how good is Penn quality????
Old 04-20-2012, 12:50 AM
(formerly brian21johansen)

Wow. I don't remember when i voted on this but it must have been a long time ago. I used to fish Penn but now I only use Shimano reels (with the exception of a Daiwa Sealine that I won).

I have had amazing results with all of my shimanos (2 curado 200's, shimano spheros, and a shimano stradic).

On the east coast Penn seems to be the reel of choice, on the west coast Shimano is one of the most popular reels....as a matter of fact Penn reels aren't used too much out here.

Shimano has great customer service as well. One night while fishing I made a cast and a bunch of pelicans flew by....one got stuck in my line and snapped my shimano clarus rod. I didnt have my receipt so the store wouldnt help me out. I drove up to Irvine, CA (shimano headquarters). The ONLY question they asked me:

Where do we send the new rod?

I actually plan on buying a curado 300 later this month...
Old 05-12-2012, 08:29 AM
Official Member

Shimano, just my opinion.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:27 AM
Russian River

penn is easier to get parts and service.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:41 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripeire View Post
Hey Guys,

Bought these two reels. The Shimano was roughly $160, while the Penn was $140. I was looking at how they compare online but there is only really the stats and stuff available and no real forum of actual fishermen comments are available.

I was wondering has anybody used these reels ? And, also, How does the PENN rate against the Shimano which is apparently better? ( I heard some bad stuff about the PENN real just after I bought it)

Ps The type of fishing I do is just from the rocks, using herring and Mack chunks, mostly into small inlets where i let the current take the bait until the line stops rippin off the reel.....then wait.

Comments?

Editorial on the PENN 5600

East coast tackle Shimano stradic

Fin-Nor!!!!