Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2015 Herring Tracking Reports

79K views 194 replies 74 participants last post by  freddie the j 
#1 ·
We can use this thread to track Herring movements up the river.

:icon_thelmutsalute:

Well the time has come.

Let us know when you start seeing them ... General location or county is fine, no need to give up your specific honey holes.

Thank you!

#104 ·
I don't notice a difference with the alewives. This gets mentioned every year. Unfortunately, the majority of people don't know how to properly identify them. Not that it matters bait is bait, but it's surprising to me how many people post pictures saying "bluebacks are here" and couldn't be more wrong.
Dispite the name, you cannot always distinguish them by color..

Alewives have big eyes and the diameter of the eye will be greater than the distance from the edge of the eye to the tip of the snout. Their body is deeper. Their inner cavity is light in color.

Bluebacks have significantly smaller eyes that are equal to the distance between the eye and snout. The majority of the time their bodies are more streamlined and shallow. Their inner cavity is blackish.

Sorry for the rant. Hopefully this information will be useful to someone on here.

Tight lines!

#106 ·
I was told by someone, I guess was wrong, that Bluebacks have the dot behind their gill, and are generally smaller. This is only my third year so there is a lot I don't know. I had this discussion yesterday while fishing too..lol

#108 ·
I was told by someone, I guess was wrong, that Bluebacks have the dot behind there gill, and are generally smaller. This is only my third year so there is a lot I don't know. I had this discussion yesterday while fishing to..lol
This is a topic even seasoned vets seem to screw up.
You can't even distinguish them accurately with the dot. Follow the eye rule that I mentioned or if your using chunk you'll notice the cavity color difference is night and day. You'll never second guess yourself.

#115 ·
Before the last slug of rain a few were reported (check back a few pages) ... I think most guys out there right now north of Catskill have been shore guys. So scapping is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.