Jamaica Bay North channel bridge - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > New York
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New York New York Bight - Raritan Bay - North and South Shore - Eastern Long Island -Captree - Shinnecock - Moriches - Montauk - Jamaica Bay - Staten Island - Western Sound - Long Island Sound The Hudson River

Old 09-23-2009, 09:03 PM
Official Member

Default Jamaica Bay North channel bridge

Anyone has any experience fishing the North channel bridge in Jamaica bay i go every once in a while get a few bites but no hook ups. has anyone got stripers there I'm planning on using live eel off the bridge in a few days not sure if it'll work I'm not really sure how the water depths are there or how the terrain is if anyone could share tips or info about this spot it would be a great help thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2009, 09:30 AM

Default Re: Jamaica Bay North channel bridge

My advice is - and this goes to anyone who is new - would be to fish under the bridge not from the bridge. Any bridge.
Do you have a plan to land a big fish? If so, how do you plan to get her up out of the water? What about the release of a small one?
In my opinion - too many complications for a new guy to the sport.

Pick a spot underneath the bridge at night and make sure you have a safe place to land one if you happen to hook into a bruiser.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:07 PM
Official Member

Thanks a million but I have one problem I don't own any waders or a boat what I possibly might do is create some type of net that I can scoop up the fish and if I have schoolies or something I lower them back down once I un hook them maybe I can use a pull up crab net modified anyone has thoughts on this that way I don't need a gaff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2009, 02:26 AM
First Mate
Pro Staff

As striperJim said fish under the bridge not from the top unless you are experienced and have the right equipment. There is no way you can land a good fish from a bridge with out a bridge gaff, and if you use one of those you'll most likely kill every thing you catch. Invest in a pair of waders. I have seen them on ebay for as low as $30 and as you branch out you'll get a lot of use out of them. Any way if your gonna fish that spot check the channel on the south west side of the bridge as well as the flats on the north west side.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:03 AM
Official Member

No problem thanks ill look into the waders I also got me a bridge net yesterday looks like it'll work, as far as the south channel is that just the lower left side of the bridge while driving south on crossbay blvd?
Old 09-25-2009, 12:12 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

right side
Old 09-26-2009, 04:03 PM
Official Member

Smile Re: Jamaica Bay North channel bridge

Thanks khary23 i tried that side yesterday and came home with 8 snappers and 3 crabs not really the fish i wanted but it'll do finally my wife can calm down that i finally came home with fish lol. but what I'm really looking to catch are them big stripers maybe ill just wait until next month and hit Rockaway beach and surf fish just not sure where on the beach to go i never been surf fishing before i heard theres a spot where theres clams right on the surf that i can shuck and use as bait is this true and where on the beach can i go thanks in advance.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:35 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

no problem man. the back side wont get good for a few more weeks. When it does try to be on the water before sun up.

If you go to the beginner section, stripers 101 there is a ton of info about reading the beach. Study up then go out and put that knowledge to practical use.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:56 AM
Official Member

No problem I appreciate the advice do you know any spots or which beach at Rockaway that people go fishing also has anyone ever chummed off the bridge I'm thinking of doing one day and see how it produces for me thanks in advance
Old 09-28-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
do you know any spots?
Old 09-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Official Member

Nice one jim that might help me catch a thresher
Old 09-28-2009, 11:12 AM

Please take the time to read through these threads if you would.
Thanks

The penalty for spotburning is silence
Old 09-29-2009, 09:54 PM
Official Member

I apologize if i bothered anyone for asking about any spots but i didn't really mean an exact location i meant in general maybe some where it can be easy for me to learn how to read the beach or be able to grab bait (clams, etc...) and be able to use off the sand sometimes i don't have the funds to go out and buy bait or lures so I'm limited just tryna save up right now to purchase a complete new rod/reel, bag and lures so i can be prepared. again if anyone can help it will be gladly appreciated thanks in advance.

PS:you can either PM me or just reply here
Old 09-30-2009, 08:18 AM

Novice -

A perfect place to learn to read the beach is near where you fish.
That whole stretch of Long Island shoreline changes regularly. Especially towards the east end of that chain of Park land at Jones Beach. Jones Beach has 6 miles of beach and Robert Moses has another 5 miles. These areas are well known surf fishing havens.
You also have Captree State Park with two piers (open 24 hours; night permit required) and the inlet at Fire Island - Gilgo- Tobay - Democrat Point

http://www.thefishingline.com/videos...ngTheBeach.wma

4 Wheel Drive Fishing Permit

What it gives you: Night fishing and parking privileges PLUS allows for 4x4 beach access in designated areas at Gilgo Beach, Cedar Beach (the Sore Thumb area), Robert Moses State Park (Democrat Point), Napeague, Hither Hills, and Mountauk Point State parks.
Obtain at: The park offices at either Robert Moses State Park, Belmont Lake State Park (park headquarters), or Montauk Downs (golf course building).

Permits can be purchased at: Robert Moses State Park, Belmont Lake State Park, & Montauk Downs (golf course).
Dates Of Sale: January 2, to April 30th,
Tues. After Labor Day to Dec. 31,
Annual Fee for the permit is $65.00 For more information contact Belmont Lake State Park Office (631) 667-5055

My advice is to do a reconnaissance / scouting mission. As far as bait or lures. Dig some sandworms around the rocks. Snag some bunker or buy a 1 and two ounce acme kastmaster lure.
Join the Long island beach buggy association or Mid Island Surfcasters
This will reduce your learning curve exponentially.

Start here. Good Luck

https://www.stripers247.com/Long-Island-Stripers.php