Hybrids in small lakes in Louisville - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > The Wiper Room
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Wiper Room A forum for all you Hybrid and White bass fishermen out there . Wiper aka Hybrid striper / Cherokee Bass / Sunshine bass / Wiper.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:06 AM

Question Hybrids in small lakes in Louisville

Here in Kentucky, there is a new Urban Fishing Program, and three of the lakes are in or near Louisville. I love it, because up until recently there weren't any places nearby where I could run off to for an hour or two of fishing, and now I can sometimes go catch a limit of trout in that time. But what's really amazing is that last fall they stocked hybrid stripers into these lakes, none of which are larger than 4 or 5 acres. The pond I fish in the most (Miles Park Pond #4) isn't much over 4 acres, with a maximum depth of about 21 ft. It had largemouth bass, hybrid bluegill, channel catfish, and trout stocked in it already, then last fall they stocked 2000 hybrid bass between 8 & 12 inches long into all 5 lakes. I haven't seen any caught yet. Now, of course I love the idea of being able to drive 10 minutes and bank fish for hybrids, but I was really surprised to see them stocked into such small impoundments. What do you all think?

http://fw.ky.gov/urbanfishing.asp?lid=1255&NavPath=C101
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2007, 07:57 AM

Default Re: Hybrids in small lakes in Louisville

I think you should go fishing! :)
great situation, hopefully they won't get fished out before they get some size, throw them back for a few years!
LMJ
Old 03-12-2007, 02:55 PM

Toad i think thats awesome.
Here is a post on a study on the aquaculture. It is not surprizing to me on the small impoundments and their ability to hold these numbers. At least theoretically anyway. Read here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2007, 12:54 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to start carrying an extra pole with me while I'm trout fishing, and tossing in a jig 'n' pig or something down around the thermocline. I have a little castable depth-finder that'll tell me depths and surface temps, but I don't think it's quite sensitive enough to pick up the thermocline itself, like a boat-mounted one will. Anyway, it comes in really handy in these little lakes, identifying the deep/shallow areas.

Last edited by RoadToad; 03-13-2007 at 12:54 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 03-16-2007, 05:42 PM

I don't know how well that many hybrids would do in that size of lake. I'm really talking about the depth of just 21 ft. Have you fished Guist creek in Bardstown? It's kinda like the lake your talking about, but the maximum depth is around 45 ft. The hybrid fishing there is ok, with a 24 incher being a nice one. The times that I tried it there I never came close to having the succes that I had at Taylorsville, which has a max depth at around 75-80. Barren is probably the best in Ky for hybrids and it's the biggest of all those.

I just think that 21 ft isn't enough depth to give all those fish the conditons they need to thrive. What about low oxygen levels, especially during the hot summer months? Another factor for that lake you are talking about is food source. We all know that hybrid stripers can put a hurtin' on the shad or any other small fish that may live in there. This may explain why you haven't caught any yet. Just some thoughts. Let me know how that works out. I'd love for the fish to prove everything I just said wrong so we could have a nice ten minute drive to fish hybrids!
Old 03-16-2007, 05:51 PM

Is this place your talking about in J-town? Fisherman's Park? Just wondering.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:16 AM

Yes, Fisherman Park is in J-Town, just off the Taylorsville exit of the Gene Snyder, although, all five of the lakes in the Urban Fishing Program got hybrids, and none of them are much bigger. This includes Miles Park #4 and Tom Wallace Lake in Louisville. And yes, I've fished Guist Creek Lake, in Shelbyville, many times. That's where I discovered hybrids! As to hybrids in Fisherman (or Miles or Tom Wallace), the concerns you mentioned about depth and temps are exactly the kinds of things I was worried about, but I think hybrids may be more resilient than I've been giving them credit for. We'll see.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:22 PM

Roadtoad, I've fished Fisherman's when I was younger. I can't believe that they would put hybrids in those small ponds. I'm not saying your lying, I heard a little about the program you where talking about. I just think the hybrids will not make it in Fisherman's. I'm not at all familar with the place your talking about. Hopefully, they will work out there and you can catch a few nice ones! Have you ever tried Taylorsville or Barren? Give those a try. Rough is also having success. That's what's great about living in Ky if your into striper or hybrid striper fishing. We have a few places where you can catch them and catch some nice size one's as well! Good luck!
Old 03-19-2007, 05:13 PM

Turns out that Fisherman doesn't have them at all, only largemouth, bluegill, catfish, trout and crappie, but the two in Louisiville that do, Miles Park #4 and Tom Wallace Lake, aren't much if any bigger.

http://fw.ky.gov/urbanfishing.asp?lid=1255&NavPath=C101
Old 03-20-2007, 08:28 AM
Wiper Guru

In Indiana the DNR tracked the hybrids on Lake Monroe throughout 2006 and found that they roam throughout all 12,000 acres of the lake. One tracking they are down by the dam; the next they are miles away up in the shallows. They never seem to hold still long. I wonder what they do in a small body of water like that when they can't wander? Are those small ponds full of shad?
Old 03-20-2007, 04:34 PM

I've never gotten a close look at the bait-fish to see what they are. I'm not sure I could identify them even if I did. But there are also largemouth, hybrid bluegill, catfish, and of course rainbow trout in there, some of which did survive the winter, so there's got to be some forage.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:32 PM
Wiper Guru

That could be a real key to what bait you will need to use in those particular lakes. When you get a keeper, cut it open and let us know, if you wouldn't mind. I thought they almost exclusively ate shad, but I've read other posts where they find bluegill inside. All I ever come across is shad.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:42 AM

I will definitely do that, but I'm thinking it'll be a year or so before I keep any. According to Fish & Game, they were only 8" - 12" long when they were stocked last October.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Wiper Guru

HMMMMM! You're in luck. During their early years they grow 3 pounds per year.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:43 PM

I haven't had much time to back after these things yet, but intend to as soon as this cold snap clears. In the meantime, I emailed my local fisheries biologist, Kerry Prather, and he was kind enough to reply:

"They should spread out---moving a lot in schools. I'd fish for them with white or chartreuse curly-tail jigs (1/8, 1/16, or maybe 1/4 oz), or a white rooster tail. The water temps are cool--they maybe cruising the shoreline. I'd try casting deep water with a slow retrieve, then parallel the shoreline. They should be aggessive.
We do not expect to establish a population of them long-term----just there to provide fishing opportunities."

Makes good sense to me. I'll be back out there soon doing pretty much what he suggested. I'm planning on rigging jigs onto spinners and running them slow and deep. Also the same retrieve with an Allewife and/or Glow Chartreuse Blade Dancer. Any other suggestions?