Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2018 STRIPER REPORTs

129K views 303 replies 66 participants last post by  Doc Z 
#1 ·
** SHOW EM' IF YA GOT EM' **

Post any 2018 Striper Reports and photos here. Hope to see a bunch of HAWGS.
Feel free to include county or general area, No need to give up specific spots or honey holes.

Please try and limit it to just reports & congrats.

Thanks and good luck all !

#125 ·
Fished Catskill from 6am-3pm. Bait was much tougher to scap this morning. Guys jigging the creek did well early on. It took me 4 hours to get 6 herring. No hits on live or chunk.

#127 ·
Fished Albany 6a-3p, limit of herring in 10 mins, marked very little compared to yesterday, tons of people no one catching much that we saw, 56 degrees, 54 near the dam. Troy stunk no marks, no bait. We got 1 19" on a chunk, hit just like a cat

#137 ·
We fished Marlboro and north most of today and ended up with 22 up to 39" 24 lbs. The morning bite at the top half of flood tide was good above the rock plant. Newburgh was also hit with some thick schools for the am flood tide. The afternoon ebb tide came with wind that shut the bite down and the fish scattered into to channel. The am river was like glass. Water temp went up to 58 degrees. The evening bite was slow on flood with a few dinks. Docked for a few hours now and out bright and early for the am bite which seems to be best right now.

#138 ·
short afternoon trip wednesday fishing the incoming tide drifting from dennings point to the NBB caught 13 all on the small keeper end (18 - 24 inch) Couldn't find a big one to bite. the fish were checking out the baits but not hitting very hard.

#141 ·
Keep some chunk out there too. There's days where they won't even look at live but slam chunk.

#142 ·
Fished out of Albany area Tuesday late afternoon from boat. Nothing on live or chunk Herring. Did manage to get a small one on a bucktail jig that I was just tossing out out of boredom. Took Wednesday off to fish the same area and nothing. I didn't see anyone else catch anything, although I have seen some pictures of people catching them in the same areas I was fishing. I'm just not having any luck this year. I'll be out again early Saturday morning. I may switch up my technique and try drifting some blood worms, or try fishing a little more north up at the dam.

#143 ·
Hello gentleman. New to the site. Can someone enlighten me on how they fish their chunk bait. I mainly fish live but also put a line out with chunk on it but only manage to get catfish on them. Do you guys suspend the chunk? Use float rigs? I've heard of guys using marshmallows to get them to float???? Any input would be great.

#144 ·
Trap, did all of those with chunk. Also, tried every conceivable way to rig a live herring and at every depth from low to high. Even tried a sliver of chunk herring on the hook with a live just in case it was a scent thing. So far I'm skunked for the season in the Albany Rensselaer Troy area

#147 ·
We got out early and hit Marlboro to find no fish..not even at the Rock Plant. Drifted north and found them just south of the Poughkeepsie Bridge.....lots of steady flowing fish but no schools. The were not in the typical strike zone and when our deeper poles were hitting we figured out that they seemed to be feeding at 28-35 feet in 60-70 FOW...any shallower and no fish. This is a bit unusual but the incoming cold front will turn on feeding. The wind kicked up severely for a few hours and knocked us around but we continued to catch em. We had to run 50 feet of line out due to the angle to hit the 30 foot strike zone. The northern drift with Flood tide was good in the morning. The wind was so bad that there was NO south drift with the Ebb tide....we literally stayed in one place for the whole tide....we were still catching but when the wind pushed us E or W the fish were gone and we had to reset on them. We picked up some nice cows and at one point all 6 of our rods went and we managed to land 5. Most fish were between 20 and 34". Our big one came on an eel 40 feet down. We ended up with 36 for the day. Water temp today was 57.

On a side note DEC was out checking today and then they broke down....we almost had to tow them in.

#148 ·
Some pics from the last 2 days.

Attachments

#151 ·
NICE JOB GUYS !!!! :adore:

SO glad to see Stripers hitting the nets and photos from all over.
My phone has been blowing up by long time friends, catching fish this week.

I was doing ok ... But now I am soooo Jealous !!!!
Miss my Stripers and river friends back there :icon_cry:

Keep em' coming.
Looks like a little later season going to be good out there.

BB
:icon_thelmutsalute:

#155 ·
I gave some thought to "keeping bait in the strike zone" recently as I have been having zero luck lately and i was wondering if my bait was getting buried on the bottom. Im using chunk, not live so I dont have the added benefit of a live herring trying to swim up the water column to join his friends. I remember back in the day I used to buy striper rigs with an orange foam float on the leader for surf fishing in Rhode Island. I was thinking of either hooking a bobber to my leader to help get it off the bottom or just finding the orange floats. If anyone on here has any knowledge or experience with something like this in the river I would be glad to hear it. I've put in a lot of hours recently with nothing to show for it, not even a run

#156 ·
We put in a full day through the night and went for some bigger fish. We ended up with 16 in the 30-41 in range up to 30 lbs. Most were caught just south of the Poughkeepsie bridge but we hooked into a 41 incher at the IBM plant. That fish was an amazing fight because it felt like a world record hit. He grabbed the worm the peeled off 300 feet of line before we could turn him....even though we were pulling him in with the current it was a struggle. When we got him to the boat he was foul hooked which is why he felt like a 50+ pounder. What happened he grabbed the rattle sinker then as he ran and we set the hook it got belly snagged. This fish was a nice fat 30lb male spewing everywhere. We fished through the night and marked big fish but no more takers. This morning there was some spawning in the channel. The water temp was 56-58. This has been a strange year.....i have never seen more herring down here ever than this year.....it seems like the cold water temps slowed them down or even kept them from moving north more. Back out today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.