Getting started in New England - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. > Shorebound - Surf Beginners
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Shorebound - Surf Beginners Information for the Shorebound angler

Old 12-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Official Member

Default Getting started in New England

Hello: a little about me>>> 40 Years old> first 30 of those were spent on the south Shore of Long Island. Fished with Friends and family mostly from Boats in the great south Bay or from docks. I moved to New England in 2004 and tried my hand at fresh water.. found out I was not only out of my element but thier were lots semi pro bass fishermen with lots of gear that don't want a newbie around. Have had some good times trout fishing the androskoggen in upstate NH with the Wife who loves to fish, but with family obligations its rare when we both can go together.
I have never landed a striper... my fishing efforts on LI were mostly Fluke flounder, snapper, and blue fishing fun.
This year I tried my hand at striper fishing, I went a few times from a friends boat with no success. I started paying some dues tyring spots in Portsmouth and Hampton and Plum Island (just did a recon). Some were sketchy, fishing off wet rocks at night which made it clear to me that I need to find a buddy to fish with or I might slip and not get back sometime.
For Christmas the Wife bought me The Hunt for Big Stripers and Striper Fishing at Night a great plug bag some poppers and some rain gear.
She realizes I need a health hobby to get me off the couch...
I appreciate any guidance tips, assistance or offers to fish that may come my way....
Not looking for a short cut but hoping to make the 2011 season one to remember.

Thanks for reading... and have a great 2011

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2010, 12:57 PM
Young salt

Default Re: Getting started in New England

Lots of good people, reading material and information available on this site. Don't get discouraged as the board is a little slower this time of year but it will pick up considerably as we approach the season in a few months.

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 12-27-2010, 09:53 PM
Striper Hunter

I just started striper fishing a couple years ago and I got you by a decade. Went on google earth and found lots of rocky shoreline areas and found some good areas to fish. I got a good pair of waders, boots, korkers, and a headlamp. Been surf fishing from rocks and jetties and love it. I searched the archives of this site, asked lots of questions ( even a few stupid ones ) and best of all I ran into a few really good guys who showed me the ropes

Plum Island is a great place to fish. Especially with live eels. I prefer to stay away from the rip as it is so dangerous and people die there every year. The legendary surfland bait and tackle shop is right there and they will have whatever you need....including knowledge of the area

If you ever venture to southern Mass or Rhody give me a shout. Would be happy to do some rock hopping with you

Look at tide charts. There is one posted here and many others. Look for the negative tide cycles. From shore those times and during the dark of night can be very productive at the right spot at the right time

Tight Lines
John
Old 01-19-2011, 02:52 PM
Official Member

Thanks John...

looking to get into rock hopping shape... this winter got a new rowing machine...

Good heads up on the Rips.. i get why they're dangerous but do people get into them and get sucked out?
Old 01-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrexny1 View Post
Thanks John...

looking to get into rock hopping shape... this winter got a new rowing machine...

Good heads up on the Rips.. i get why they're dangerous but do people get into them and get sucked out?
Happens every year
Old 01-22-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
i get why they're dangerous but do people get into them and get sucked out?
The numbers are like 14 people die per year in Long Island alone.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Striper Hunter

Yeah im new. im 14. have some gear. i have a ugly stick combo for saltwater. and i have a yellow and blkack one that i put a striper killer popper in red and white. i have a deadly dick and a big oll kastmaster. i have some white 5inch swimbaits for surffishing. i have 75 bucks. what do i need to catch more fish. i fish salisbury beach. please help!!!!!!!! message me if u can
Old 05-18-2011, 02:38 PM
My Fishing Cape Cod

I think you'll get your first striper in 2011.

If it helps your cause at all, I'll be posting reports and weekly articles geared towards helping rookie striped bass fishermen get their bearings and put a fish or two in the boat.

Cape Cod Bay fishing articles and reports can be found at http://www.misslorettafishing.com/Fi...-Articles.html

I realize I may fish a different area than you, however many of the techniques and ideas can be used across the board.

Best of luck and tight lines!

Sincerely,

Ryan