Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Fishing Charter

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  PhlyanPan 
#1 ·
Heading up to Maine July 12-20. Looking to do some striper fishing. I will be staying in York Maine, any suggestions on a charter? I have 3-4 guys, not looking for a big party boat or anything like that. Thanks!

#3 ·
I've vacationed there every summer since birth, usually staying in Cape Neddick or Ogunquit, which has the best beach and is a great spot to surf cast in the evening from sand bars at the mouth of the Ogunquit river. Free parking, decent light on a clear night. During the day surfers and kayakers make fishing impossible, you can get waves that tube there and storms offshore can produce 20'+ surf. The cliffs and jetties along the coast from the beach to the harbor, Perkins Cove, is public and accessible as well.

I'll be there in August, later is better, your lucky the water temp is already 65", which is unheard of. 65-68 is a warm year for labor day weekend. Mid to high 50's is more the norm for July.

http://www.maine.gov/dmr/recreational/forhirefleet/yorkcount.htm

This website has what you need, dozens that offer reasonable rates for 4, half and full days, and range from fly and light tackle inshore for bass to offshore for sharks or tuna. 4 hours for 80-100 and 8 hours for 125-150 looks like the average.

I recommend Sea-Gar Charters w/ captain Dan, but he is out of Wells Harbor which is about 1/2 hour drive north from York. When I asked around, everyone recommends him. There is a tackle shop there, and the owner told me his groups bring back big fish, his rates are good(300 for 4 hours for 4), and his boat and equipment is top of line. He has a 24'6" CC with 330hp, big and fast especially for the cost.

Kittery trading post is worth a trip, it's like maine's version of bass pro shops. It's right by the outlets, you can't miss it.

You can also go to Eldridge fly shop on rt. 1 and get guided kayak trips, they are the fly experts and have a massive selection of fly gear, flies, and fly tying supplies.

Feel free to ask me questions if you have them, this will be my 31st summer up there and I wish it was 4 weeks back when I got summers off and wasn't pickin up the bill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.