Simms Freestone Wading boots - now with fewer studs - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:34 PM

Thumbs down Simms Freestone Wading boots - now with fewer studs

I'd like to apologize to everyone who might have bought these based on my many recommendations in various threads over the past few years. Unfortunately I wasn't aware that they changed the number of studs from 15 to 12 claiming that fewer studs give better traction

I just got a new pair replacing my 4 year old, completely worn out pair. I never thought to count the studs before I wore them out onto the jetty for the first time the other night. I started to think that something wasn't right, my footing wasn't very stable and I was slipping and sliding a little. I knew for sure something was wrong when I took a dive! I was standing on one of my regular rocks when my feet slid right out from under me - fortunately my Lamiglas rod was there to break my fall (and the rod ) When I got home I immediately grabbed my old pair from the garage and compared them with the new ones - there are considerably fewer studs in the new pair

I contacted Simms hoping that that the change was recent and that I'd be able to find an old style pair with more studs. Spoke with customer service Monday morning and just received this reply in my e-mail:
.................................................. .....................................

Dear Jerry,

Thank you for calling Simms Fishing Products yesterday to discuss the stud placement with our Freestone Boots. I have contacted our Product Development team and had the following response:

“We changed the stud placement & quantity in August 2005. We went from 15 studs per boot to 12 and made that change to make the RiverTek and Freestone patterns consistent. Also, field-test feedback indicated that 12 studs offered better traction.”

Based on our findings with field tester’s world wide, we are confident that the change is for the better. We appreciate your feedback and the Product Development team has made this note for future reference.

Sincerely,

Colleen Trayser
Simms Warranty and Repair Center Supervisor

Simms Fishing Products
101 Evergreen Drive
Bozeman, MT 59715

.................................................. ................................

Looks like it's time to dig out the old Korkers again. Either that or find another brand of boots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2007, 04:21 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Default Re: Simms Freestone Wading boots - now with fewer studs

sorry to hear that your lami is injured....glad your ok to tell about it...cant help with the boots...i have no experience with em...the waders i got have the boots built in..no studs...
Old 06-26-2007, 09:53 PM

Suds
I guess that customer service lady didnt know who she was addressing.
They lost me as a potential buyer.
Hope your Ok and the warranty covers the lami.

Korkers are hard on my ankles.
I've been using the cheapo hodgemans for 35 bucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2007, 10:27 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

after a knee injury that never healed for 2 years i stay the [email protected]# off the rocks. no fish is worth the agony of that again. but ya know if i see fish bustin i may abort that arguement as i am a googin on a mission every time i go out. we never truly learn our lessons. glad your okay and if the lami was the only thing broken in that accident then let it go (hard i know, safe for me to say) and be glad it wasn;t your leg. you be careful bud as you are truly one of the good guys in this sport of ours.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:56 AM

Update:
It seems they do read what goes on here.

Mr. K.C. Walsh, the president of Simms contacted me yesterday to try and analyze what caused the slipping problem. I have to say I'm extremely impressed by the speed at which they got back to me and interest shown towards the situation of one person with one pair of their lower end boots (even if that person does have an incredibly big mouth :) )

We're now discussing stud placement (which I still believe is the culprit in this situation) as well as the new harder metal alloy they're making the studs from.
I'm going to hit the jetties with them again, then I'll be sending them back to have 3 more studs put in and we'll see if that makes a difference or not.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:07 PM

Suds
Impressive that the company listens to the guys who wear and fish with them under extreme conditions.
Ill be watching this thread.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:01 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

kudos to mr.walsh...talk about redemption. ...well suds..it looks like if i ever have an equipment failure..im calling you.