harbor pollack bait tips - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 05-14-2008, 09:21 AM
swabbie

Question harbor pollack bait tips

I'm looking for a few tips on catching harbor pollack and using them for bait. I saw a few tips on live lining them on this site but couldn't find any tips on catching them. Should I use a sabiki rig or a small jig or bait? What kinds of areas would you look for them in? Would they stick around all summer long when the water warms up?

I fish the greater Boston harbor area and figure they might be in deeper water near the outer islands but that's just a guess. I do have a live well. I want to use them to live line for bass this summer. I've only caught larger pollack on deep sea trips but since there's not size limit on them anymore I figure I should target smaller ones as live bait . We don't get much scup on the Boston area (too cold) so the options for live bait, outside of eels, are pretty limited these days). I appreciate any tips people want to share with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2008, 03:03 AM
(formerly brian21johansen)

Default Re: harbor pollack bait tips

Hey Boston.....last year at exactly this time (364 days ago today) there were some caught at Hull Gut. You can catch them with clam and a small hook (3/0 or smaller). Last year on a couple of different occasions at around this time we thought we were getting hits but later decided it was the current. After catching a small Pollack and hearing of a couple others being caught we knew what was really going on when we thought the "current" was tugging on our lines. Really our hooks were too big for them (I think we were using 5/0????) Anyways, I'm not an expert but the sabiki rig should work, some people catch them on mackerel jigs. As far as the Pollack sticking around when the water gets warm.....I'm pretty sure they'll be outta the harbor by then. I have no proof on that but I'm just going on the whole theory of them being part of the cod family and being found in cold deep water(although there are exceptions)Check out this link:
http://www.cptdave.com/pollock.html

And here's the thread from last year: https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...e+line+pollock

(I'm sure you've already seen the thread considering you posted in it, but I put it in for other people to see.)
Old 05-15-2008, 08:58 AM
swabbie

Thanks Brian that's great info. I may try for a few this weekend if the fishing is slow enough that I need some decent bait. PM sometime when your in town if you want to wet a few lines. My slip is in Charlestown.

- Noah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2008, 01:48 PM
(formerly brian21johansen)

No problem and thanks....I'll drop you a line next time I'm in the area. Let me know everything goes......
Old 05-19-2008, 03:52 PM
swabbie

I tried to catch some Pollack on sabiki rigs off the outer harbor islands. No luck but we did score a few mackeral on the rigs. They made a mess of my rigs but are probably better bait anyway (even if I couldn't entice a bass to hit them).