Organizing Gear - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

View Poll Results: How do you organize your gear?
Hang plugs indoors and take what you need for that outing. 19 20.21%
Keep them in marked plastic containers with dividers 37 39.36%
Keep everything locked down in your vehicle / boat 22 23.40%
Incredibly organized like my sock drawer 7 7.45%
Several different plug bags 32 34.04%
One big shed / or fishing room (s) 16 17.02%
Scattered everywhere 20 21.28%
White bucket. You might not want to admit to this one. 17 18.09%
Use somebody elses stuff 1 1.06%
Several answers here / I voted a couple 26 27.66%
none of the above 1 1.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-25-2007, 03:47 PM

Default Organizing Gear

How do you organize your Gear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2007, 04:18 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Default Re: Organizing Gear

just about all of the above....the most used stuff i got fits into a ziplock baggie...20# floro leaders with a 4/0 octopus hook.....i friggin love throwing eels....i pack my plug bag before every trip with various creations of stuff hanging on the wall...in buckets..scattered all over the friggin workshop...i try to bring a variety of stuff to try some new things if the mood suits it. i will swap out stuff from trip to trip...i can only imagine the crap you guys that have been at it for many years got kickin around..i know im too young to have all the stuff that i do...it its time to clean..the basement is starting to get messy.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:52 PM
Pro Staff

Leaders, hook rigs, hooks, swivles, sinkers, soft plastics, jigs, etc. all go in a Cabela's Tackle Utility Binder which is is awesome and usually all I bring with me besides my eel bucket.

Plugs, metals, heavier jigs, etc. go in plastic utility boxes w/dividers in the garage and I'll pick out a few for each trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2007, 05:50 PM
First Mate

Several of the above, but my fishing stuff is basically left in one room in a disarray.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:18 PM

My garage and home office look like a tackle shop exploded
Old 06-27-2007, 12:48 AM
LunkerSpunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
My garage and home office look like a tackle shop exploded
HAHA
Old 06-27-2007, 05:59 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Well, let's see:
Upstairs
Cellar
Back room
Kitchen
Livingroom
Shed
Truck
Son-inlaws place
house in Ct.
In a white bucket (in one of the above lacations)
in fly boxes (some been missing for awhile)
some in the canoe right now, that's in the truck, that's in the yard, that's in Green Hill.

I'd say I'm fairly welll organized along the New England Seaboard.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:37 AM
(formerly brian21johansen)

I keep most of my tackle on the boat in my big tackle box.Here I keep what I wouldn't need from shore such as big plugs for trolling, tubes, etc. I try to keep as much "boat stuff" on the boat as I can. No point in keeping a tube off the boat only to forget to bring it the next day. I keep all my other tackle in a plug bag that I bought for 10 bucks at walmart. It works great so far and comes with 4 plastic dividers. In the bag pouches I keep all my necessary leaders in plastic ziplocks. I keep pliers and other bulky thinks in the other side pockets. In my first plastic divider I keep terminal gear: Snaps, swivels, fishfinder rigs, and even hooks of all sizes. In the next one I have an assortment of sluggos and Fin-S soft baits (white, pink, mackeral colored, and black with a white bottom). In the next divider I keep all of my weights: 1 oz. 2 oz. and 3 oz. I also keep pyramid sinkers in here with my jigheads and bucktails. In my final container I keep a basic selection of plugs: My topwater skitter pop, my "midwater" rebel windcheater, and soem other plug (I forget which one). In keep my storm shads (pearl colored, bunker colored, and mackeral colored) in the original pouches in the side pocket. Whenever I go out on the boat I just bring that bag along and I'm good to go.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:29 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I'll start in the garage,
above the rafters,resting on them are 50+ assorted rods and reels, Ranging from fresh water ultra lights to stand up 80lb class rods and reels to bent butt 130 class (4 of them)and a bunch of stuff in between, there are fly rods, mooching rods, down rigger rods/reels fresh and salt water lead core trolling rods(and reels) as well as fresh water bass casting gear.
Against one wall, is a stack of coolers,two bait coolers, one fish cooler and one to be used for food.....
Next to the coolers is a yellow bucket , the lip of the bucket has about two dozen slits in it, this holds my SPARE cod jigs and weights,next to that bucket is a white bucket, it contains bucktail jigs of several styles and sizes that have been poured and painted but have not yet been tied. In the corner is my icefishing sled (full of gear)my portable shanty and assorted bait buckets.Undernieth the buckets and sled are 3 fish boxes, one contains a 100' gill net for pogies, one has a 100' herring gill net, the other has a 8' and a 10' cast net in them.
to the basement:Hanging over head in a corner are 24 "working " rods, these are the ones I use daily(or might use) what is hanging there rotates with the season, early in the season, they might have fresh water rods, fly rods, surf rods and cod gear, as the season progersses, Striper gear replaces cod gear ( that not goes up on the rafters in the garage) light trout rods are replaced by tuna gear....
Next to the rod racks are a pair of wires that run half the length of the basement, these wires contain more plugs than I could use in a lifetime, my last rough count was approx 500.In a corner, at the end of the wires is the repair rack ( an old clothes drying rack) when I have a wounded unit or a proto type plug,or they just need new hooks, they go on the rack. Above them hangs two pairs of waders
Directly accross from the plugs, is a series of shelves, there are a half dozen hard side tackle boxes( all labeled as to contents), some hold tuna gear, some hold bottom gear, some hold trout and salmon gear, some are for bass fishing gear, and one is for taking the little guys fishing, it contains a little of evrything.
On several of the shelves are soft sided tackle boxes, one of these is a bottom fish bag, it contains Jigs,weights hooks, assorted swivels and snaps ,leader material, pliars, hook out, fillet knife and palstic bags and a filet glove and rag.

The other bags all hold plugs, all sorted by type in plastic cases, for instance, one bag has rebels, bombers yozuri style plugs, another has only surface poppers, another has surface swimmers etc., one bag holds soft plastics and jigs, there is a small surf bag that can go on a belt, this one stays empty and is stocked each trip, when the trip is over the plugs are rinsed and dried and "restocked" in their respective bags.
I have one big bag that remains empty and is used as my travel bag, it can quickly be stocked for a trip by simply taking cases from each of the plug or bottom bags or tackle boxes to make up a bag to cover each scenario I might come accross....

The boat: under the console I keep a large plano "guides box" it has cases of all the style hooks I use, I keep ballons, elastic bands, dental floss, electrical tape, sinkers, leader material, knives, spring scale,pliars, sabiki rigs, mackerel jigs, pogie snatchers, tied sliding hook rigs and and assortment of snaps and swivels, as well as a small lighter, an assortment of rod tip tops and tip top cement.

On the console, I have an index card holder, I store up to 3 dozen pre tied leaders, individualy stored in zip lock bags, a small package of eel hooks ( I buy in bulk 1000 at a time and repackage) as well as a pair of head lamps and a small flash light, to the left of that sits the bug spray, to the right a spare eel rag.
In front of the console is a action packer, in it is a half dozen cases containing, plugs, soft plastics and jigs, the compartment is sectioned off, on the starvoard side, I have several spols of various sizes of leader material and another "master" bag of hooks, I also keep a spare fuel filter, more bug spray, spare rags, lime scented hand soap and paper towels , charts and log,, batteries for my lights and life vests and a mustang survival suit in here as well.

There are things I know I have left out, things like the "line" shelf in the basement where I keep the bulk spools of line I buy, also the buckets of misc. crap "to be reparied latter" that contain everthing from ice fishing traps to old plugs to fishing reels....those things are NOT orginized!

The 'coise( Mrs Roc) says I'm anal... I have no Idea where she gets that Idea!
Old 06-27-2007, 09:47 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

....a bit too organized?.....nah.....you just have a lot of stuff to keep track of...
Old 06-28-2007, 11:13 AM
Veteran Elite

I have fishing stuff all over the place. rafters, shed,workshop,boat, truck. I even built two large cabinets to keep it organized. It still ends up everywhere.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:47 PM

how do you guys organize hooks and leaders....other than plastic bags? I say a hok and leader holder today at sports authority
Old 06-28-2007, 03:07 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

bulk hooks are kept in large plastic compartmented cases, keeping pre made leaders, sigularly in plastic bags are far superior to anything you can buy..... try sticking one of those leader holding contraptions in your waders pocket or on the console of your boat.... especialy at night.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:49 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

roc's right about the bags...they fit just right in my wader pouch...less gear strapped to your body the better..i dont like things in my way...
Old 06-28-2007, 05:45 PM

thats what ive been doing lately...putting them in individual badgs...the problem was that i had so many different hooks....live bait....cirlcle......bait holder....along with different hook sizes.

now i only bring a select few type of hooks with me and keep the others tucked away somewhere