Spinning Gear Tips - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Reels and Reel Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Reels and Reel Maintenance Reel Maintenance and schematics - Discussion on spinning and conventional fishing reels - teardowns and hard to find parts

Old 04-29-2006, 07:26 AM
Jigologist

Default Spinning Gear Tips

Spinning Gear Tips.

All I'd like to do here is supply the tips that have helped me in the past to overcome some of the frustrations involved with the use of spinning gear.

Loading line: Probably the most important issue of all, loading the line on your reel properly will save a pile of headaches.

Only load line lb. test that your reel is rated for, if you exceed it, you'll have problems. Purchase a reel made for the line lb.test or strength that you want to use.

Put the line on the reel the same way it comes off the filler spool, 99% of the time that is with the label facing up. Lay the spool flat on the ground and take the line off the label side of the spool (do not put a pencil through the filler spool and roll line off that way), guide it through the rod guides from the tip guide first. Bring the line to the reel, OPEN THE BAIL, tie the line on with your favorite knot, or see the " fishing knots link " . The "arbor knot" is designed for this purpose. Nearly any knot will do as long as it will cinch down onto the spool and not be loose. Next, shut the bail on the reel and begin winding the new line on.
IMPORTANT: After about 10-15 cranks of the reel, dip your rod tip down near the filler spool and check to see if the line twists up while slack. If it twists a lot, then turn the filler spool over and try it again. Choose the side that developed the least amount of twisting. Once you have the right side up on the filler spool, begin cranking on your line while holding the line above your last line guide so the line goes on tight. Fill your spool just short of full. Do not over fill. You should now have a properly filled spool of line on your reel.

Advantages of spinning gear:

Gives you the ability to reach the bottom quicker in deep moving water because you can leave your bail open while the jig sinks. The jig sinking on a slack line is important (see jigging link on this page) .

Allows you to cast much lighter lures than casting gear can because the bail is open while the lure is in flight, almost friction-free.

Gives you the ability to have multiple spools of line in different lb. tests ready to change in seconds. Change spools if you break off or just want to go down or up in line strength. It's quite nice to have one spool rigged with mono and the other with Fireline or your favorite no-stretch line. You are then ready for jigging deep or fishing shallow and stealthy.

Disadvantages:

Line twist, by design, they "spin" the line onto the spool, so if your cranking the reel while the drag is slipping, your magnifying the line's twist. Just remember that when you're reeling, you're spinning line onto the spool, and when you cast, the line un-spins off the spool.
Tip: Do not crank the reel if your drag is slipping. You either wait for the run to stop, pull back on the rod to give it more arch, thus creating more friction on the line guides, or (one click at a time) tighten the drag until the run stops, then you may crank on the reel while pumping with the rod to bring the fish in.

Line is exposed to sunlight that can significantly reduce it's strength and flexibility over time. So unless you have no other alternative, don't store your rods with mono line in direct sunlight or rig some covers that protect the line from the sun.
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2006, 09:42 PM

I think the guy at the store who respooled my line put it on wrong because just a couple weeks after putting it on it curls all up and nothings straight. I haven't even used it yet. The line is 30# Trilene Big Game. Any ideas or should i just replace it ? thanks
-Colin
Old 05-25-2006, 10:16 PM

Big game has serious memory, at the tackle shop, the line always goes on straight, because it is fed straight off the spool then through some rollers (a line counter) and then straight onto the reel.

Try getting the line wet, but in any event, that line has very bad memory, next time try to get a higher quality monofilament, for example P-Line, or even Shakespeare Supreme.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2006, 01:27 PM
Jigologist

yah, that's half the reason I hate mono.. especially the bigger #test... like fishing with a slinky until you've used it some..

you'd know it if was on wrong when you cast it--it'll be all 'twisted' not coiled. tie on a plug, do a long cast, retrieve it steady, leave a rods length of line out and when you lift it it'll spin forever... that's if it doesn't nest into the guides on yah..

some mono is better then others
Old 05-26-2006, 09:05 PM

Colin, unless its a 15 foot rod, I wouldnt use more then 20# max for casting or similiar (chunking too). The only time I would use 30# is when trolling, and I only use 50# on my huge umbrella rigs.

What kind of setup do you have? If you switch to P-Line 15-20 # you wont be disappointed, and youll be even happier with 25# or so superline or braid (I like Fireline for casting and Tufline XP for trolling)
Old 05-26-2006, 10:05 PM

I'm reading a lot about guys using 30# test or more. I personally like the lighter stuff. 17 to 20# is the max I use. I do a lot more plugging than anything and it seems to work fine for me. I've caught some nice size fish with it and I personally wouldn't go any higher.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:33 PM
Striper Hunter

Do you need to lubircate your spinning gear and if so how often should you do it?
Old 06-05-2006, 04:22 PM

You asked what kind of setup i have and its a Daiwa Sealine X with an avet with 30# test Trilene Big Game. I will be using it for chunking/ livelining clams/mackeral etc. Thanks
Old 06-06-2008, 11:34 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Spinning Gear Tips

I've heard that you can straighten out the twisted line by trolling just the line behind your boat.Just the line,nothing on it at all.Then reel it up nice under a little tension.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:42 PM

Don't ever buy line that boasts high abrasion resistance!!! That just means more memory. Shakespeare in my opinion makes pretty good line, great rods, not so great reels...unless its an older one. The Supreme, or Cajun variety of super smooth casting is what I go with for spinning gear. Just make sure you pick the right test for your gear. Set your drag properly for your line, or your reel...whichever is more important to you, and use the right knots for the application...should't ever have a problem.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:46 AM

thanks for the info but I am not sure if I understand the part about spooling the line on correctly...I always use a pencil or something similar to load the reel and i don't think I've had issues directly related to that. I have certainly had wind knots but usually due to over spooling the braid. Could you explain that part a little further?

thanks
Jeff
Old 12-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Pro Staff

Hi Jeff,
It's not going to be as big of an issue with most braided line as it is with mono. The problem with putting the spool on a pencil when loading is that each turn of the spinning reel puts a twist in the line. The best way to load braided line that I've tried is to set the spool down in a bucket of water, usually label side up, and crank it on wet. After 15 or 20 cranks of the handle, allow some slack in the line and see if it twists up,,, if it does, flip the spool over. You want the line to coil onto the reel the same way that it is on the spool. 'Wet packing' your reel will result in a much tighter load. Also, when loading braided lines, be sure to use a bit of mono backing under it to help grip the spool better. Braid spooled directly on the slick spool can slip when under strain.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigman View Post
Spinning Gear Tips.

All I'd like to do here is supply the tips that have helped me in the past to overcome some of the frustrations involved with the use of spinning gear.

Loading line: Probably the most important issue of all, loading the line on your reel properly will save a pile of headaches.

Only load line lb. test that your reel is rated for, if you exceed it, you'll have problems. Purchase a reel made for the line lb.test or strength that you want to use.

Put the line on the reel the same way it comes off the filler spool, 99% of the time that is with the label facing up. Lay the spool flat on the ground and take the line off the label side of the spool (do not put a pencil through the filler spool and roll line off that way), guide it through the rod guides from the tip guide first. Bring the line to the reel, OPEN THE BAIL, tie the line on with your favorite knot, or see the " fishing knots link " . The "arbor knot" is designed for this purpose. Nearly any knot will do as long as it will cinch down onto the spool and not be loose. Next, shut the bail on the reel and begin winding the new line on.
IMPORTANT: After about 10-15 cranks of the reel, dip your rod tip down near the filler spool and check to see if the line twists up while slack. If it twists a lot, then turn the filler spool over and try it again. Choose the side that developed the least amount of twisting. Once you have the right side up on the filler spool, begin cranking on your line while holding the line above your last line guide so the line goes on tight. Fill your spool just short of full. Do not over fill. You should now have a properly filled spool of line on your reel.

Advantages of spinning gear:

Gives you the ability to reach the bottom quicker in deep moving water because you can leave your bail open while the jig sinks. The jig sinking on a slack line is important (see jigging link on this page) .

Allows you to cast much lighter lures than casting gear can because the bail is open while the lure is in flight, almost friction-free.

Gives you the ability to have multiple spools of line in different lb. tests ready to change in seconds. Change spools if you break off or just want to go down or up in line strength. It's quite nice to have one spool rigged with mono and the other with Fireline or your favorite no-stretch line. You are then ready for jigging deep or fishing shallow and stealthy.

Disadvantages:

Line twist, by design, they "spin" the line onto the spool, so if your cranking the reel while the drag is slipping, your magnifying the line's twist. Just remember that when you're reeling, you're spinning line onto the spool, and when you cast, the line un-spins off the spool.
Tip: Do not crank the reel if your drag is slipping. You either wait for the run to stop, pull back on the rod to give it more arch, thus creating more friction on the line guides, or (one click at a time) tighten the drag until the run stops, then you may crank on the reel while pumping with the rod to bring the fish in.

Line is exposed to sunlight that can significantly reduce it's strength and flexibility over time. So unless you have no other alternative, don't store your rods with mono line in direct sunlight or rig some covers that protect the line from the sun.
Great tip about not spinning it off a pencil. That's what I have always been doing. I'm going to try the floor and label up as you suggested. It makes good sense that if it's wound around one spool to wind around the other the same way - just never knew how...

Git er done!
Old 01-22-2009, 11:04 PM
Striper Hunter

Baitrunner

Thanks for the tip on wet packing, I'm going to try that next time.

One of my pet peeves about spooling braided line is that once it's spooled on it often feels spongy, apparently because it isn't packed on tight, and then when some gets pulled off under tension the line digs into the spooled line. Sounds like that might just solve the problem.

Brad
Old 01-23-2009, 09:42 AM
Pro Staff

Brad, I'm sure you probably know this, but thought I'd mention it just in case. You should also put some tension on the line as you crank it on as well. Run it through your fingers or something before it gets to the reel. I rigged a tension knob off a sewing machine to a rod that clamps on the side of the bucket so that I get a nice tight consistent load with no fuss.
It should pack on nice and tight this way,,, a soft spongy load is asking for trouble if you get a nice fish on before it gets tightened up.