help buying a surf rod - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:54 AM

Default help buying a surf rod

i want to buy a new surf rod for spinning and need some advice on what type to get. I am usually bait fishing with bunker chunks or big clams off a beach with 2-5 oz sinkers most of the time. My current rod is not a true surf rod i guess. It's a shimano fx 9' rated med/heavy, up to 25lb line, 3/4 - 4 oz, and action=fast. i think this rod is too flexible to effectively cast far with the bait and sinker weight. i'm looking for a 9' or 10' rod.

There's such a huge variety of rods that it's hard to choose. Some questions i have are:

1) what are the advantages/disadvantages of the material type? fiberglass, graphite composite, graphite? i've read that graphite rods are prone to breaking.

2) i want a stiffer rod so should i go with one rated heavy?

3) should one rated up to 8 oz be sufficient?

4) as for price, i'm looking for one under $100

5) i've actually handled an okuma solaris 10' in person and kind of like the stiffness and action. what do you guys think of this rod?

6) some other rods i've read the specs on are the tsunami trophy, tica, dblue, and daiwa.

thanks in advance for helping this newbie out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Pro Staff

Default Re: help buying a surf rod

Hi there!
I'm definately not the rod guru around here, but I can tell you that there are some good deals to be had on Tica rods if you look around. They're not top of the line, but better than any surf rod I own.

I like a Med-Heavy action most of the time. Some rods are OK with pushing the weight rating a little. Others really have problems if you exceed the rating. For example I have a cheap 9' rod that is rated to 4oz. If I exceed 4oz (bait+sinker), I'm in trouble,,, and when you're tossing chunks, how often is your total weight less than 4oz?

Hope that helps narrow your search a little. I'm sure some of the more experienced gear gurus will pipe up soon.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:06 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

you get what you pay for. get an 11 foot ugly stik if you only want to spend that kind of money. not as stiff as other rods of same price range but the fuji guides will last with braid longer than some of the comparable rods and it wont break on a big fish (at least i have not broken the three i own and had one since 1980. i have other toys but from the surf i use the tsunami (casting rod) with my 525. but the spinning rods i usually use the ugly stik. it;s really heavy and that is why people shy away, i am rather tall and can handle them

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2007, 08:29 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternityx3 View Post
i want to buy a new surf rod for spinning and need some advice on what type to get. I am usually bait fishing with bunker chunks or big clams off a beach with 2-5 oz sinkers most of the time. My current rod is not a true surf rod i guess. It's a shimano fx 9' rated med/heavy, up to 25lb line, 3/4 - 4 oz, and action=fast. i think this rod is too flexible to effectively cast far with the bait and sinker weight. i'm looking for a 9' or 10' rod. I'm partial to the 10-11 ft. for the beach.

There's such a huge variety of rods that it's hard to choose. Some questions i have are:

1) what are the advantages/disadvantages of the material type? fiberglass, graphite composite, graphite? i've read that graphite rods are prone to breaking. Pure graphite can be fragile if you crash it. Composites are said to be the best of both worlds, Glass can be heavy, but not always. Glass is cheaper, composit more $, and a good graphite is,,, well expensive for my taste. I like glass and composites for casting baits. Prefer a softer glass for live eels without hardware or weight. The only "graphite" I have is in a flyrod so I can't comment much on that.

2) i want a stiffer rod so should i go with one rated heavy? There's a balance that goes with rating (imo). For me a heavy 6 oz. is much like a med-heavy 8 oz. to a point. For spinning, you may consider that a heavy may tear the hook out of the bait when you lay into it "spin" style. If you decide you're going to use a shock leader (and you probabably will when you start cracking off) Be sure you look for bigger guides and tip so the knot flows freely. I don't usually like an overly stiff rod (all personal pref.) Med/Heavy with a fast tip is nice, But don't go so heavy where the rod can't load properly. If you're planning on flippin clams,,, you may want a softer rod that'll load more gradually to help keep the clam on the hook while casting. Just something to keep in mind.

3) should one rated up to 8 oz be sufficient? MAYBE. The problem with ratings is that one companies 8 oz can be drasticly different than anouther's. I'd probably would consider a 10 oz. and expect it to handle 5 oz. and bait / chunks just fine. Then again some of my "chunks" can be 1/2 a mackeral in the fall, or a whole butterfish, etc. (I don't do clams very often except as back-up incase I run out of 1st choice).

4) as for price, i'm looking for one under $100 Think if you can add anouther $30 you'll find a much broarder selection to choose from.

5) i've actually handled an okuma solaris 10' in person and kind of like the stiffness and action. what do you guys think of this rod? Honestly don't remember ever trying one.

6) some other rods i've read the specs on are the tsunami trophy, tica, dblue, and daiwa. For the price, I've found the Tsunami and Ticas a fair and fine investment,, don't know of the others mentioned. I'm hearing a lot of good on the Ocean Master, Jimi9240 has a couple, but I didn't get to drop it on him (yet).

thanks in advance for helping this newbie out!
Something I want to mention, Heavy weights and spin are generally not the best of friends. Weight will help make the drag slip on a good heave-ho and cut distance, rod loading, and fingers. Some tighten the by-jesus on the drag, cast, and reset to lighter working drag. Guess it works, but if you forget either,,, you'll know it fairly quickly. 8-10 oz on the end of a 10-11 ft stick is a lot of inertia to control especially if you start getting into distance casting. You'll find the Walmart reels give it up pretty quickly. So you're going to need a decent (read more expensive) reel if you're looking for something that'll last. Thus the reason Baitcasters / conventionals are still being made and sold. (hint )

Remember too, this is just my opinion and take on this. I'm sure other will feel differently (which is fine). I'm just relating my thoughts is all.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:41 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

11ft diawa 50 bucks. wtf.
http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...ADME:B:SS:US:1

Old 07-16-2007, 11:41 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

on the cheap...a good quality rod is an ocean master from bass pro...heavy enough for doing what you want and enough backbone to horse a good fish in pretty quick...they run about 100 bucks...worth every penny...i also have a penn power stick..another decent budget surf rod....nothing beats a good rod though..your better off spending the money on a good one.......i lerned the hard way..i finslly got a hold of a good rod...what a difference.......bigtime.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:50 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

funny i just read floats post....i brought both my ocean masters to the ri gathering...good reviews from everyone who took a peak...they really are good rods for the money..fuji guides and seats..they look like they are really stiff, but looks can be decieveing..they have some good whip to em...ive thrown a half a mack with a 6oz weight plenty far enough into the canal with the ten footer many a times...although they throw better with the reccomended weight. sometimes you gotta go big though..and they have never failed me yet..one thing..dont skimp on the reel......just dont do it..you will be sorry...bigtime. haste makes waste..you skimp out now...you will just have to spend money again later..better to spend a bit more one time.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:02 PM

grab a penn power stick. i have the 12 foot version and I think it is better than my lamiglas and ugly stik. only 60-100 bucks depending on the version.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:34 PM
The New Guy

i've been searching for a rod to pair with my recent purchase of a 4500 baitrunner and saw a 10' and a 10'6" tica on ebay that i could have picked up for about $60 including shipping......but i didn't want to buy it and find out from the guys on here that they are crappy.......from what i have read of your posts they seem ok......any one have a solid review of them?? and tsunami??
Old 04-02-2008, 01:01 PM
First Mate

another vote for tica rods- but stay away from the "ueha" models-lousy guides.
you can find the ugsa, or dolphin, in 10' 10'6" and 11' rated around 2-8 oz. for under a hundred bucks. they won't throw the 8oz but will do up to 6 or 6.5 pretty comfortably. i've got the 10'6" 12-30lb-,2-8 oz med-heavy,with the 4500b for those times i'm throwin eels, bait, or those 9" storm shads(6.9oz).
if you like your finger tips (and who doesn't) put mono on that reel and you and the rod will be happy throwin 5 oz and bait.
i think they make them all in both one and two piece.
a pretty strong and durable rod for the money. i think you'll be happy with it.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Lunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scone View Post
another vote for tica rods- but stay away from the "ueha" models-lousy guides.
you can find the ugsa, or dolphin, in 10' 10'6" and 11' rated around 2-8 oz. for under a hundred bucks. they won't throw the 8oz but will do up to 6 or 6.5 pretty comfortably. i've got the 10'6" 12-30lb-,2-8 oz med-heavy,with the 4500b for those times i'm throwin eels, bait, or those 9" storm shads(6.9oz).
if you like your finger tips (and who doesn't) put mono on that reel and you and the rod will be happy throwin 5 oz and bait.
i think they make them all in both one and two piece.
a pretty strong and durable rod for the money. i think you'll be happy with it.
yes I agree you must buy the DOLPHIN series or the ugsa

I picked up a st Croix triumph here http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/pr...14/prodid/6268
free shipping and no tax find out when they re stock em call them nice folks
Old 04-02-2008, 07:23 PM
The New Guy

no one for tsunami??
Old 04-02-2008, 07:58 PM

buy the penn power stik. I paired mine with the daiwa emcast. this combo can cast a mile and only costs around $180 for the whole combo.!
Old 04-02-2008, 10:27 PM
The New Guy

oh crap....more choices.....i'm trying to narrow it down.....NOOOOOOO.....oh well i'll tell my wife i need to buy a few different rods to add to my collection already totaling 17........its been nice knowing everyone, hope you have a great life, mine will end if actually say that to her
Old 04-03-2008, 03:57 AM

The tsunami gets a recommend from me.
The trophy surf is fine rod especially for short money and low budget.
Produced by Bimini bay Outfitters