Weapons of Bass destruction. - Page 4 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building > Step By Step Plug Making Tutorials
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 08-21-2007, 01:13 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Weapons of Bass destruction.

Welcome to the Site

BryanL
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2007, 12:27 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

wecome aboard tim...good to see you found us...yup, that was me you met just outside of newbury port..good to hear you got some bass action that night..as i got pounded by wind and waves only to smell the nostril burning skunk stench....
Old 08-31-2007, 06:30 PM
Bowanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
Tubes... is it a fat long worm... or is it a starving eel.... doesnt matte rto the bass... bass and bluefish hit them and hit them hard... this bait is best trolled ultra slow, making it an Ideal 'yak lure....

Thanks Roccus,
I just finished making 7 of them for less than $15.
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2007, 09:44 AM
(formerly brian21johansen)

7 for 15 bucks is awesome. They usually cost between 8-12 bucks a piece depending on where you get 'em
Old 09-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Bowanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian21johansen View Post
7 for 15 bucks is awesome. They usually cost between 8-12 bucks a piece depending on where you get 'em
Yep, I saw them for $10 each at the outdoor store.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:36 AM
First Mate

Thanks Roccus....and everyone else who chimed in. Great thread. Thread? It's becoming one of my favorite books. BTW that red tube is now responsible for my personal best so far. Couldn't thank you enough for that.

Joe Wiz
Old 09-06-2007, 10:16 AM
(formerly brian21johansen)

yea i agree.......other than the hottie thread this is one of my favorite threads here
Old 09-25-2007, 08:19 AM
krex1010

has anyone tried any of the Berkelry Gulp soft plastics? i'm sure the swim baits would probably work, but they have clams, crabs and other baits that are supposed to be rigged just like live bait and i was wondering if anyone has had any luck with these baits.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:45 PM
LunkerSpunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by krex1010 View Post
has anyone tried any of the Berkelry Gulp soft plastics? i'm sure the swim baits would probably work, but they have clams, crabs and other baits that are supposed to be rigged just like live bait and i was wondering if anyone has had any luck with these baits.
no, but I'm curious about them as well
Old 09-26-2007, 12:29 AM

I no longer use rubber or pork on my jigs - Gulp rules
Old 09-26-2007, 12:19 PM

When selecting a teaser to put on a bucktail, what should I go for? Any specific type of plastics or gulp?

Also, is it advisable to use a teaser rig ahead of a bomber? And what would you use as a teaser?
Old 09-26-2007, 03:47 PM

The trailer on a bucktail serves three purposes (4 if you use Gulp)

1. Buoyancy, helps control the rate of sink and retrieve depth - the bigger the trailer the slower the sink. This is the most important reason to use a trailer.

2. Color attractant. Example, weakfish love purple rubber worms on white jigs, just why that is - I have no idea.

3 Action. A fluttering strip of pork rind or a swimming paddle tail or curly tail adds that extra bit of action you sometimes need.

4 Flavor. Only applies to Gulp, live bait, and strip baits like squid.

As for the teaser in front of a plug I try to match the hatch in terms of the smaller bait in the area. Sand eels, spearing, anchovy, peanuts...............
I'm a big fan of teasers so long as there aren't too many bluefish around.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:52 PM
Bowanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by krex1010 View Post
I have tried quite a few of the Gulp baits and have had luck with all of them on many different species of fish. I almost exclusively use them in combination with squid strips for fluke. I have also caught blues and stripers with the swim baits, but none of the stripers have been over 27". Still, I've had some pretty good action with them.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:59 AM

Great information! Thanks guys.

I'm looking for a thread (if there is one) about how to tie on a teaser, and also for one about making your own hi-low rig. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I may be just missing it.

Two of my last three trips were pretty successful. The bass have been taking the clams on fishfinder rigs... My main problem is the skates and crabs.. which is why I'm thinking about making a few hi-low rigs and trying them out. The first two of the three trips I saw over 10 fish, up to 20lbs. The third didn't go so well..

I hit the water about 4am on Monday morning. Saw plenty of fish splashing around the surface, bass or blues I am not sure of, it was very dark. I got the clams from a new bait shop, and they happened to be heavily salted. I had no problems keeping the bait on the hook, but many problems in the fact that no fish would touch them. Anyone have similar problems with fresh vs. fresh salted clams?

As it became lighter out, I noticed the two boats that were around me were also using clams, but they were taking fish left and right. Both seemed to be drifting back bait from anchored boats, as well as casting the bait.. I'm unfamiliar with the methods of casting clams. Can anyone suggest a rig to use for this, and any methodology behind it?

I'm sorry for so many questions, just starving for knowledge! Thanks in advance. You all are a great help and this is a great message board! Hopefully soon enough I'll be able to share some more of my own experiences and techniques.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:21 AM

Chris see here