Alaskan yellow cedar - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Alaskan yellow cedar

Sudsy, It's called connections to salesman and access to cut offs that once went into a dumpster. If they are available, I get the short stuff cheap, if not I can go through the GC at the job and get a price you don't even get to see.
Watch for a post over at "The Coast"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2009, 12:58 PM
First Mate

I have been making phone calls to many lumber yards and mill shops in Northern NJ that I have delt with for some reasonable AYC with no luck(they don't even carry). I do need to make a few more calls as with a few of the yards I was aking for spindles. I have found some places but with the way they were selling it and shipping it's just not worth the price. I do also have family in MA so that area may not be out of the question. Or even if the price for the lumber is reasonable then shipping would not be out of the question.
If anyone would be willing to steer me in some direction I would greatly appreciate it in some way or another.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:49 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnySniper View Post
Jack, you got JACKED!
That lumberyard buy's it's stock from a distributor in Rhodie. They import 90% of all the AYC east of the Mississippi. Guy's from Joisey drive up here to buy from them.
Those blanks for me, would cost about $.13.
On another note, the GC on the project I'm on, misordered an unbelievable amount of AYC plank. It's mine all mine, for nadda. I'll bet it would take me a week to cut down into blanks, and I would end up with about 15,000 plug blanks.
Im from RI, if you have the info. of who this large distributor of AYC is in Rhode Island I would really appreciate it. Also, I am wondering if you would part with some of that AYC you got for a decent price. :D Lemme know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 11:46 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Lures View Post
Im from RI, if you have the info. of who this large distributor of AYC is in Rhode Island I would really appreciate it. Also, I am wondering if you would part with some of that AYC you got for a decent price. :D Lemme know.
these are very old posts.... most lumber yards have WRC.. I buy 4X4 x 12' lengths and cut to size.... it is a little trickeir to work with but the lures you turn will be every bit as good, your weighting schemes will be differant .. I make hundreds each year from it...
Old 12-30-2013, 02:09 PM
Official Member

May I ask what your final cost per blank is when you buy 4 x 4 wrc posts?
Old 12-31-2013, 01:42 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Lures View Post
May I ask what your final cost per blank is when you buy 4 x 4 wrc posts?
I buy everything in bulk... a finished plug costs me about $3.50...I can turn a plug in 3 minutes flat... less than 5 without a dupe... it's the finishing that takes the most time...but because i only make plugs for myself... my time and cost isn't a big deal..my only concern is to make the best plug i can.... and let the fish decide if they are any good...