Christmas carving for you.. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building > Step By Step Plug Making Tutorials
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 12-21-2007, 09:08 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Christmas carving for you..

This isn't really a hand carved, technically its a power carve, as I've used copious power tools, but the same result could be reached with a hand drill, coping saw sand paper and alot of elbow grease....

The plug is a 6" jointed 1.50 ounce minnow.

I kept the needs and finishes to a minimum to make this an easy build for anyone.... For this build, you will need, a block of wood 1" thick and at least 6" long( I used mahogany) , some paper, graph paper works best, some spray adhesive, 4 ,3/4" SS screw eyes, two links of brass toilet chain (or two more screw eyes as a substitute for the joint), a small sheet of 1/8" lexan, three #1 treble hooks and 3 4H split rings,2 #4 SS screws (one if you use a belly hook mid plug) 60 minute 2 part epoxy, as well as some type of sealer, I use a 60/40 mixture of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits, but because the plug is not through wired, a dip in varnish or tung oil will suffice,primer and a can of spray paint, a small tube of glitter and some spray varnish..

First trace out the shape of your plug, the widest part is at the head, mine is 7/8" wide and the nose tapers quickly to a sharp point, the tail is 1/4" wide... once you've traced out your shape, lightly spray the back side of the paper with spray adhesive and attach it to the block of wood, now cut out your plug, once the plug is cut out, remove and retain your pattern, divide your plug down the middle, then mark 1/8" either side of center on the tail and run a line from the mark to the widest part of the head, from there, make a sharp angle towards the nose, now take it to a belt sander and remove the excess down to the line, you could also use your coping or back saw, but the belt sander can do it in seconds, once your plug is roughed out, hand sand your desired contour, place your pattern back on the plug, mark your bill and hook locations, the front cut of the bill is 3/8" back from the nose 1/2" deep at a 30 degree angle, the finished slot will require hand sanding to provide a tight fit for the lexan lip,make your joint cut at this time, be sure to bevel the edges to keep them from limiting the action and chipping the paint,..

Forming the lip: the lip NEED to proportioned to the width of the plug, the bill is traced out on a piece of graph paper then using spray adhesive, attached to the lexan, when tracing the lip be sure to add and additional 1/2" to the length to secure it in the lip slot... test fit and sand the lip slot to make a snug fit, when finished the lip will be secured with 1 hour set, 2 part epoxy, do not use 5 minute, as it is not water proof

To make the joint, separate two links of brass toilet chain ( found in better hardware stores, like ACE) mark the length along the side and bottom of the plug, mark and drill pilot holes for your screw eyes and or retaining screws, screw heads should be counter sunk for aesthetics, but it is not vital, drill a 1/4" hole on center deep enough to house the link, test fit screw eyes and links.... once your satisfied on component fit, you then can seal your plug..

After sealing, prime the plug, any good primer will suffice, I painted the belly white rustling, the sides a fern green also rustolium, and the top gloss black... yup, rustolium.... when the paint had dried I applied 3 D eyes,but eyes can be made by dipping an eraser in yellow paint and lightly dabbing the plug, once dry, a black iris is made by dipping the tip of the pencil in the paint and dabbing the center.... I then applied 3 coats of spray varnish, after the second coat a light sprinkle of glitter enhances the look, assemble your plug, apply a drop of epoxy to each screw eye and it will greatly enhance their holding power......

Happy Holidays!
Roc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sketch of hand carved.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	4200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Traced pattern.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	4201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cut pattern.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	4202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shape I.jpg
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	4204   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shape II.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	4205  

Name:	Roughed out plug.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	4206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reinstall pattern.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	4207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cuts.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	4208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Joint components.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	4209   Click image for larger version

Name:	screw and joint.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	4210  

Name:	drawing the lip.jpg
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	4211   Click image for larger version

Name:	jointed minnow.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	4212  
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2007, 12:18 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Christmass carving for you..

Unbe-"F"ing-leavable. You never cease to amaze me.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Christmas carving for you..

Joe Im going to try this one. Ill check out Ace to see if i can get the brass links. i dont know about mahogony though. I have some maple and some ceder.. awesome thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2007, 12:55 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

rocs got more tricks than a.....................well..im sure you all know what i mean. he will forget more than most of us will ever know. roc, great how to thread, im impressed as allways.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:24 PM

Looks a lot easier than it is. lol

Its a bitch rounding into form. Im going with a Mr wiggly eel type of jointed lure. Maybe it will even swim.

Heres the beginnings of the front half. Thanks Roc. It is definately a great place to start and see which tools do what and so on.
The wiggly is thru wired. It certainly doesnt look it. In fact on close inspection it looks cheap.
I dont know how that is done.
I have a few kits ill seal and finish with the rattle cans too. thanks for this

Old 12-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i want one with the lip at a 45 degree angle however, i say this cause he listens to me

Old 01-02-2008, 06:46 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
i want one with the lip at a 45 degree angle however, i say this cause he listens to me
Dude... dont mess with the design.. this thing swims like a real fish!

Jim, cedar is fine, it just makes a lighter plug.... maple is OK but seal it well...
Old 01-18-2008, 09:02 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

wow, missed this reply. i know it swims right! i just wanna f&%$ it up a bit roc. i tell you what, when you get the chance make it with a 45. and test it and tell me what you think (i can take it! and the plug you obviously don;t want. i am a sick excentric f#@* i know. i always gotta have something nobody wants to be bothered with. ask jimi? and no i didn;t mean his bozak plug either.