Spinning reels, quality vs. price. - Page 4 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Reels and Reel Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Reels and Reel Maintenance Reel Maintenance and schematics - Discussion on spinning and conventional fishing reels - teardowns and hard to find parts

Old 10-20-2009, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Spinning reels, quality vs. price.

I'm not going to blame anyone in particular, but this thread has officially reached the stoopid level, if it keeps up I'm going to lock it.

Let's keep it informational. What higher end reel is the right choice for this guys particular use is an interesting subject.

Here's what I think:

IMO opinion, the ZB and the VS are great reels for what they're designed for, heavy duty "wet" surf fishing. I think that for use in a more gentle environment, lakes for example, there are probably better options.

Since there's no need for a completely waterproof drag I would want a reel with the best, smoothest drag available, that's not the ZB or VS, it would be the Daiwa's with Shimano's coming in a close second. Also I would want something that can cast a long way, again the Japanese reels are miles ahead of the US manufacturers. Go to a distance casting tournament, every reel in the spinning catagory is Japanese market.

Disclaimer - I have a ZB 25, love it, had a VS years ago but sold it. Hated the cranking tightness (couldn't feel the action of the plug) and the annual send it in bit irritated me, prefer to do all my own reel work - I would buy again due to the new greases and self serviceability.
Cranking tightness is a personal preferance and my buddy who I sold it to is still fishing it 5 years later and loves it.

I also have a Saltiga Surf and there is no way the drags on the ZB or VS can compete with the smoothness of the Daiwa drag, like buttah I tell ya!

For all around power and great drag the Stella is probably unbeatable in a nondunking environment. Hell, it's probably the most popular reel for popping Giant Trevally from boats, can't get more brutal then that. The Daiwa Saltiga (not the Surf version) comes in a very close second for that use, but there have been some issues with the stem snapping above the foot.

Another great choice would be the Accurate Twinspin, but it's a heavy brute - good for bait, a workout for plugging - and it HATES sand, the tolerances are way too tight.

Not saying your choices were wrong or bad, the reels will do the job and do it well, they're just not what I would have chosen for that particular situation. Come east for just one trip and do a bit of fishing in M and you've just completely validated your reel choices.

Just my opinions. Your mileage may vary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009, 07:37 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

i truley regret the fact i just stole 10 minutes of time from my children reading this whole thread.....
Old 10-20-2009, 08:20 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoma View Post
True in some cases, you "ain't gonna" see mine on Ebay...but then, all of you that bash them will line up to buy the used ones. Once they are in YOUR price range, they stop being a POS rookie reel and become the one TO HAVE. I smell bank account hypocrisy big time here...
Let's see how many of you bashers are fisherMAN enough to admit that you would love them but can not afford the price.

Yes Jon (now I know, your wife is Kate, how are the kids?) I have the balls to put my toe in the water, just not my type of fishing...When you'll grow up you'll understand.
i like the way they look and it stops there for me.
i'm not rich , i'm comfortable and i could afford one all day long
but i wont be ripped off , and i don't need statis symbols to boost my fishing confidence.
i'll just keep laughing ,
ive fished the ditch 3-4 days a week rain or shine all season and can't count how many times ive seen guys pull up with brand new custom rods
with vs reels , after watching them for the 20 minutes they stay , you can tell they are beginners
and probably invested $1500-$2000 into a hobby they just started , and still not sure they are going to stick with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009, 08:41 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

I gave up on page two.

Listen Kaoma you got the money to spend on those two reels for lake fishing, outstanding. I wish I had it to spend on those reels to use for what they were intended. I bought a 4500b at the beginning of the year to fish and it has about lasted me this season. I have 10 other reels I can fish but that has served me well this year. It looks like hell, it has been bashed on rocks it has been dropped in the salt but it still cranks it still lands fish and it has enough drag to catch what I am after. Next year I will upgrade, that reel will look like hell after a season of using it also, it goes with the territory.

My rods have no luster, my reels look like hell but they all have a story to tell. What ever you fish with give it story. That is what matters!
Old 10-20-2009, 10:10 PM
First Mate

I have been laughing since the beginning of this thread. I'm still laughing

Still laughing

Laughing some more

Jon006 is hilarious...no offense kaoma....

Catching catfish in a tube rofl...hahahahahahahahaha

still laughing

Cant stop...

OK....ahhh.....whooooo.........

As youguys know already I bought a vs200 and I got a shimano10000 for my bday. Both great reels.
I don't fish with fins on but I do stand waist deep in the surf and both reels do fine. I don't dunk them on purpose.
But both have been dunked and they are both fine. The shimano is a much better reel IMO
but I use the vs more.
Its just a tougher reel..
Old 10-20-2009, 10:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi4290 View Post
i truley regret the fact i just stole 10 minutes of time from my children reading this whole thread.....
Yeah I regret getting involved in the first place, time wasted shoulda spent fishing. Speaking of you ever going to get out there again???
Old 10-20-2009, 10:17 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon006 View Post
Yeah I regret getting involved in the first place, time wasted shoulda spent fishing. Speaking of you ever going to get out there again???
someday...most likeley next spring though. funds and time have been tight.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:08 PM
Fiiiishy...fishy, fishy, fishy...I got plastic for you...

This is the last post, and since I have started it, I would like to ask the mods to lock it up, reading only. For the last time I will explain the reason WHY for some of you...
In Arizona, in the summer time, the temp is 115F. We can literally fry eggs on the sidewalk. Inside the car the temp is easily 160-175F. The only place I can fish is in the local rural lakes or the large reservoire lakes (yes, it has stripers). Not the first time, I put the reel/rod on the ground for 30-45 min and when I came back the reel's but (the yellow plastic at the end of the reel) was warped or the graphite rotor was cracked. It the reel was OK, the plastic reel seat's locking knut was cracked. This may also be to the fact that the reel/ rod gets very hot and I put them in the water to cool off. All those were Shimano, Penn, Quantum reels from $50 to $75. If the reel did not break at the lake, the heat in the car got it. I went to the stores and asked which reel is the best, but since we are a fresh water state, all the reels are limited to that, and are cheap. Did not trust the brands I have lost before and I was looking for something different, special. One friend advised me to look into salt water reels type since they "are" built better. This is how I ended up on this forum after searching the web for a long time. I started to read as much as I can and have learned about the VS and ZB reels. The more I was learning about them, the more I understood the fact that if they are good for the surf and the rocks, they will be good for me. Was not happy about the price but Shimano Stella and Daiwa Saltiga were in the same ball park. What I liked about the VS and ZB is the fact that they are machine made, not cast aluminum, all metal no plastic parts. I posted this thread for technical info, looks like a big mistake, wrong place to be. Remember, I was lookin for a reel to last in my environment...don't care about the surf, rock hopping, fish swimming. I don't judge, just not my type. So if you thought that I got the reels to show off on your side of the drink you were totally wrong. Did I over-buy? Yes. It was my choice since I want to have a reels for a long time, not a melted, cracked, warped one every summer. For me fishing is fun for a few hours, with an initial investment of $XXXXX and then free for a very long time (bread, corn, worms, crickets for bait).
Thank you to the ones that PMed me with info. Instead of help I got mostly crap from you, but that's the way people are now. Hope YOU don't get the hame "HELP" when starnded on the open ocean...what goes around, comes around!
Mods please lock the thread.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:31 AM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

Nah dude, you say you were from NY, but I'm having my doubts. People who live on the water around here are just mean. People from Maine to New Jersey are just mean bastards.

Meanest guy I ever met was a bloom worm digger from Maine. Part indian. The guys that knew told me he would smash out peoples head lights and then when they came back from worm digging, he'd pumel them, and then threaten them some more. "Stay out of my territory." Surf guys are the same way, and you just happened to buy a surf reel.

so Koama, do me a favor, go to the bait shop, and stuff a mackerel underneath your seat!

Kidding, but if you DID do that it'd sorta be funny.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:40 PM

...smash headlights and threaten people?...most people here have guns on them.
No, some people are not mean, just make a huge effort to be a big SOB...common behavior of a man who as a kid was bent over the chair by Captain Jack....holding a VS reel!
I left 14 years ago, never looked back. The BAD problem is the NY-NJ-CT crowd is moving here now, in Scottsdale and bring all the bad habbits with them
Old 10-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Banned

With those temps you might wanna buy a pair of gloves to hold those reels or your gonna get a hell of a hand roasting, and btw don't take my posts so damn seriously, personally what reel's you choose and how you choose to use them is your own deal. Now hurry up with pictures of a big catfish, horn pout, cusk, american eel, sturgeon, or skate!!!!
Old 10-21-2009, 05:00 PM

You wanna be funny but you're not far off reality...All playgreounds have warnings, HOT METAL!
I got gloves, a lot of people do here.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:59 AM

Spinning reels quality vs price?
Back on topic.

VanStaal verses Zeebass

Keep in mind The Zeebaas is a skirted reel.
Its not just rinse fish and repeat.
You have to rinse and clean them as you would with all reels.
No doubt the reels are quality.
Whether you want to pay the money is up to you.
Who gives a crap what anyone else fishes with as long as they catch fish.
I try to hide mine so they dont grow legs.
Black and low profile for me.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:02 PM

Since I have both, I don't know what I like more...I will use VS for all aroung reel. Some people hare have Twin Spin reels..figure that out...
VS and ZB are not known here.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:34 AM
First Mate

I thought I would post this, this is a Water Proof Drag and Body Shimano. Yes they make it..Shimano Twinpower SW
Born of the same engineering pedigree as the world’s number one threadline – Stella, the TwinPower carves its own niche amongst the range of ultra-high performance reels that Shimano has become renowned for.

The TwinPower will handle anything thrown at it and continue asking for more, displaying many of the same qualities that make the Stella so successful and Shimano a pioneer in heavy saltwater sportfishing and jigging applications.

Built on the “SR” philosophy (smooth, silent, strong and reliance), the TwinPower gets its unbelievable cranking power and strength from a heavy-duty cold-forged drive gear paired with a Brass pinion, near frictionless efficiency from intuitive design and reliability from decades of research and development unrivalled by any other manufacturer in the industry.

All these features are housed in a water-proof hybrid aluminium body which is then super-charged by the same Hyper-disk drag found in the Stella SW. Less wear on parts and effortless operation are thanks to no less than 11 Shimano bearings. Each reel also features AR-C spool design, Aero Wrap II, Rigid Support Drag, one-piece bail, Super Stopper II, Power Roller and Floating Shaft II.
http://www.shimanofish.com.au/publis...npower_sw.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	twinpower_sw_image_-familyImage-Single-image_dash_512_384.gif
Views:	86
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	12098