Spinning reels, quality vs. price. - Page 3 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Reels and Reel Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Reels and Reel Maintenance Reel Maintenance and schematics - Discussion on spinning and conventional fishing reels - teardowns and hard to find parts

Old 10-19-2009, 03:01 PM
Fiiiishy...fishy, fishy, fishy...I got plastic for you...

Default Re: Spinning reels, quality vs. price.

Jon006,

What the HELL is your problem??? I started this thread based on technical info (for you, technical means engineering info) to decide what reel I should get next. You have done nothing else than insult me each and every time. Again, I make a huge effort to lower myself to your level and explain why, but I will do it again...Here in the US, in Arizona, in Phoenix (yes, there is such a state and place on this planet just in case you did not get this info while talking to fishes) in the summer time the local temp is 110-150F and got tired of China reels loosing oil, warping and cracking on the hot concreat. All I wanted is to find out which reel is the toughest long lasting, most enduring of all. And yes I don't care for the price since I CAN afford to spend any amount to get it.
Back to you, I don't give a crap about your insults, I always flush dagos like you away but in this case I will return the favor...Again, WHAT THE HELL Is is your stupid problem??? Are you jealous that some people can and have what they want and you can ONLY drool over pictures in magazines? Are you jobless, unemployed, a social looser, depressed hopeless? or are you on a fixed income, minimum pay, flipping burgers with a lazy fat wife and 5 kids that suck all your money? I have seen YOUR kind of asscavity type all over the place, the ones that know crap but always judge the others based on their standards which is BS. Here we call you a walking eagle...impressive at looks but so full of crap that it can not fly! Go back and READ the first post I made. When I started the thread, all I had was a few China reels. I was looking for reel to get and last for a long time without worry. I read a lot about ALL the reels in the top tier and decided to get the VS and ZB (because I can) and not to show off that I have more than other people. I don't care what is made for, I want a solid reel. So stop being stupid! Do you have any friend or people piss in your surf? And to answer to your another moron question, I can not afford a boat, I don't need a boat, the HOA does not allow boats or RVs in the community. If you have boat enjoy it AFTER you shove it up your ass and fish for turds...and remember the VS does not crank smooth, use a China reel while in there...whish you long casting and gass free. When you come out, look for a job, get a divorce, hug a fish, what ever makes you smarter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

OK enough already.

Here's a nice video on Youtube for all of us. Guys, take your birth control pills, before watching!

Old 10-19-2009, 04:11 PM
Banned

Very nice video its funny goes with the whole thread!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2009, 04:18 PM

dpohlson,
I have read the link to the article you posted, all I can say is WOW...now I see why VS and ZB are called surf reels. I have a few questions...these guys wear scuba gear right? Do they find a sand bank to stand on it or just swim in deep water? Is this the thrill of the "hunt" or is the fish so good they have to have it no matter what? I my perspective, why not use a inner tube or surf board (cheap, light and portable)to float on as opposed to swimming and play with danger? Did any accidents happen and people lost their lives or limbs? I used to fish on the East Coast and still do in California in the summer, but never went deeper that waist water while fishing. Impressive.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:19 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

I'm the wrong person to ask, but from what limited experience I having with fins is this:

You have way more mobility in the water with just a wet suit (not a dry suit) and fins than you could with a tube. Not only that, but a good 5-4-3 mil wet suit ought to float you nice, and keep you warm. Ocean temps may only ever get to 64F around here. That would be a high temp.

I thought about a surf board, but that would just get in the way. If you have on a nice wet suit (prefer 5 mil) and fins, and . . . eh hem, . .. you have a little extra insulation of your own, you can float like a cork. Some guys go from rock outcropping to rock outcropping. there are a ton of jagged stone islands that dot the striper coast, so it was only a matter of time for some stud to swim out with a rod and reel.

Not for me . . . not without some friends right by within ear shot. Not without my .357! It's made of stainless! Better off having balls made out of stainless steel.

You might say it's the navy seals of bass fishing now wouldn't you?
Old 10-19-2009, 05:48 PM

My respect to all you guys doing this type of fishing. I would try it once, but is not my style. I am a good swimmer, but I want to use bait, not be the bait. Don't seals attack people if they believe there is competition to their food? what about sharks and squid, also mermaids and topless women ?
Old 10-19-2009, 07:00 PM
Banned

Skishing as its known is a new venture, well relatively. There are a few guys that started doing it a while ago. I haven't yet but will next year, personally I think in some ways its less dangerous in comparison to regular surfcasting. People die every year in the surf, if you've ever fished Montauk you will see the names carved into the rocks at the base of the lighthouse. In the surf zone everything you do is a challenge, changing lures, landing and releasing fish, ect. Mind you that for me and most others this is done in the middle of the night on some of the biggest rocks on the east coast. When you skish you have an opportunity to get out on the other side of that surf zone, into the bass zone so to speak. As long as your smart and always paying attention to your surroundings and the potential dangers it seems like the perfect way to catch a cow. Having had to swim with a ruck sack and or a drill instructor in my ear pushing my head underwater it seems right up my alley! I'm sick of getting hit and knocked of my perch by huge waves. I plan on starting simple, using the swimming advantage to reach distant rocks near rips, once I am comfortable with the swim and the currents in the area I'll go from there. Probably only do swims in the early evening at first and then all night....learn up here and then take the skills down to Montauk. There are risks but from what I've seen its the best way to take a cow if your serious about surfcasting then you'll do things to increase the chances in your favor.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:37 PM

I may not be alone on this, but from my point of view, the safety surpasses the fun factor. If my daily food would depend on this type of fishing, I might do it. Good luck in this, have fun and be safe. Remember, no fish is worth getting hurt.
P.S. the only time I went to Montauk was for whale waching. From Manhattan to there is a looooooong way.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:19 PM

Very entertaining thread. Wish I had the time to read it all.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:30 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i was gonna kill the whole thing on account of language but as i read it i was compelled to leave it for your enjoyment.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:42 AM

Again not for show-off but for general info:
Today I got the ZeeBaas 22. It was custom made, a hybrid from the first gen and the second gen. The body (with 6 screws on the side plate) reel foot and reel crank is gen 1 and the rotor with spool is gen 2. I wanted it in this way since I didn't like the thumb screw on the right side to open the reel. Now since I have both reels, here is a comparison of them:

Van Staal VSB150B
-no tool marks, perfect construction. All parts are machined from stock aluminum bar. Is this made in China??
-black anodizing is deep black, shiny, same color on all parts. Looks hard to scratch.
-the reel cranks smooth but not free spinning, nice gear rumor.
-drag knob is smooth but not enough threads to adjust a lot. In two turns of the knob you can go from no drag to almost max drag.
-the bail is thick, solid and after I have adjusted the bail arms, there is no play at all.
-reel is light, medium size but feels solid, no loose or rattling parts.
-the looks are good, more like a 50's concept design.

ZeeBaas 22ZB
-under 8X magnification you can see tool markings on most parts. Units are machined from stock aluminum bar EXCEPT for the two towers that hold the rollers that are cast molded and are file finished...
-black anodizing is not as shiny as VS but still good, EXCEPT not all the parts are the same color, the reel crank arm is a bit lighter and a tint dull.
-reel is very smooth, a bit smoother than VS, I like tight reels.
-the drag is very good, the drag knob has a lot of threads, takes a lot of turns to change the drag.
-both reels feel the same in weight and size.
-the looks of the reel are modern, nice architecture.
-I got three caps and stickers!!!
-the box is WOW, the Z is aluminum!
If ALL the parts would be machine made and polished after that, the reel would reach perfection. Again I am judging by looks and not performance. In a long run, if I have nothing else to do, I might de-anodize the reel polish it and recoat it.

It is very hard to say which one is better just by looks and feel. I would have to use both of them for a while and see how they hold up to say this one is better that the other. What I can say, both feel solid and very well built. I will use the VS first for all fishing and treat it like a $100 reel, and will keep the ZB for a later project. Over all, I like the ZB a bit better, again just by the looks. If you have any questions or want more details, let me know but remember I am an obsessed perfectionist and what for you has no importance, for me is a big deal. Here are some pictures...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00832.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	12004   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00833.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	12005   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00834.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	12006   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00835.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	12007   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00836.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	12008  

Old 10-20-2009, 12:54 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoma View Post
I may not be alone on this, but from my point of view, the safety surpasses the fun factor. If my daily food would depend on this type of fishing, I might do it. Good luck in this, have fun and be safe. Remember, no fish is worth getting hurt.
P.S. the only time I went to Montauk was for whale waching. From Manhattan to there is a looooooong way.
I have not been skishing but have read about it and watched several videos and it was also on Hooked the other night. As Jon has said many times there is more danger from the shore. If you have ever fished the surf(the real surf-breakers and all) the is more danger in my opinion. Heve you ever been standing on a jetty and had a rouge wave come crashing over your head, it happens. I feel with skishing your biggest danger is sharks, either eating you or pulling you to England. Many folks have been killed or injured due to waves breaking on them. Remember you don't float well with waders on caught in a rip or undertow. With a wetsuit suit on there is no effort to stay afloat. Having snorkeled, snuba and scuba dived the salt water is very buoyant with a suit on-this is why you wear either a weight belt or vest to create neutral bouyancy. Yes a belt even when snorkeling as there is nothing worse then fighting to dive or trying to stay at the bottom while waiting for that fish to peak it's head out to shoot it with a spear or staying on the bottom picking shellfish.

As for the reels go, I don't have either of them. Given the choice I myself would not buy the VS but thats just me. I have heard about way to many nightmares about them, to me for a $700 reel that is unexceptable. As for peoples choice I feel that has been answered, some is for not not knowing and some for the type of fishing. For many more it is brand loyality, I can say that Shimano has an awesome warranty department, I have heard of several VS's sent of to be repaired only not to see the reel for many months and then have it shipped back worse then when it was sent in. As for maintenance I sure hope you bought the repair kit or send your VS in for its required maintenance. As for your no maintenance this is dirctly from Van Stall about the maintenance kit "The kit is best suited to those anglers who feel comfortable with minor repair work on their reels. If you do not feel comfortable disassembling your Van Staal reel, please have your reel serviced by a Van Staal-trained technician. Is important to follow the steps outlined in the included manual very carefully. The procedures are easily performed, but care must be taken in order to prevent any damage to your reel" Not mentioned is or you will void your warranty! As for your technical info how about casting 150 to 200 yards or 30/40 lbs plus drag pressure. Every reel has it's place, I would rather have an Accurate or Shimano then a ZB or VS when fighting a GT, giant Wahoo, Marlin, Tuna and many other fish. I have a Shimano reel and Ugly Stik rod that may have cost me $80 together, I have never more then added a few drops of oil(maintenance) to the reel and this setup has caught me way over a thousand lbs. of freshwater fish and many in the salt. Heck it has also spent a couple winters sitting on my deck iced and snowed in. Many things made in China are junk but I'm sorry to say(being a proud American) that many things made in Japan are much better then what is made here in the US-waders, fly tying tools, knives and many more things. If you buy many of those things directly from Japan they are also cheaper and maybe not available in the US. Some great reels though are made in the US, Accurate and ZB to name two. I also don't know of any white metal or plastic parts inside of an Accurate TwinSpin and atleast the drag is waterproof.
I would not mind a ZB but I choose to have other luxuries-like a house on the lake, boat, 2 jet skis, boat house and so on. I also do not feel that a person that "flips bugers" is any less of a person. I know several highly educated people that are doing that to get by and have had it all and now have almost nothing. I also know probably more than hundreds if not thousands of people that had it going for them and now they live on "fixed incomes", SS or welfare. All it take is one gunshot, slip of the scalpel, accident or what have you and anyone of us could be just like them-disabled. I also think of them as no less of a person, I actually donate much of my time to help them-fixing wheelchairs-scooters, building ramps, habitat for humanity, helping them drive a race car,(see pic below) etc. Trust me I can ill afford to do this(work for free) but that was just the way I was raised, to try and help those in need.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f78f429a-c185-4465-ad16-8ffd07107389.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	12002   Click image for larger version

Name:	ddc652e6-307d-4929-b7a9-c119c6c77103.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	12003  
Old 10-20-2009, 08:11 AM
Striper Hunter

90% of the time when you see someone with a vs reel they are a rookie fisherman who just started fishing , and have yet to even bring in a keeper.

a freind of keeps saying how he can't wait untill all these people sell them on ebay at half price when the season ends and they quit fishing.

it's just like people you see driving hummers ,or mothers with large suv's ,that have absolutly no use for them , but it makes them feel better inside
Old 10-20-2009, 10:44 AM
Banned

Jim I am glad you enjoy this thread. Its just an example of an educated person making uneducated choices based on the montra "It costs the most it must be the best" Although should our rich friend ever grow some balls he will have the finest surf reels on the planet to use, that is if he's man enough to put his big toe in the water.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prta79 View Post
90% of the time when you see someone with a vs reel they are a rookie fisherman who just started fishing , and have yet to even bring in a keeper.

a freind of keeps saying how he can't wait untill all these people sell them on ebay at half price when the season ends and they quit fishing.

it's just like people you see driving hummers ,or mothers with large suv's ,that have absolutly no use for them , but it makes them feel better inside

True in some cases, you "ain't gonna" see mine on Ebay...but then, all of you that bash them will line up to buy the used ones. Once they are in YOUR price range, they stop being a POS rookie reel and become the one TO HAVE. I smell bank account hypocrisy big time here...
Let's see how many of you bashers are fisherMAN enough to admit that you would love them but can not afford the price.

Yes Jon (now I know, your wife is Kate, how are the kids?) I have the balls to put my toe in the water, just not my type of fishing...When you'll grow up you'll understand.