Best bang for your buck on saltwater spinning reels? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Around The Woodstove > The Lounge
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Lounge Off-topic discussion here. Non-fishing related chit chat & banter. No Divisive subject matter - No Viscious Political and Religious debates please.

Old 01-31-2005, 01:08 PM

Default Best bang for your buck on saltwater spinning reels?

After doing a little research on the net for reels the topic promted this thread. Please add your choices and comments. 8)
For spinning reels. here we go.

Less than $50: would be the shimano spheros and Tica Libras.
More than $50 : Penn spinfisher series. The Penns have been known to "blow up".
The shimano baitrunners, Penn Z reries and Quantum PTIs round out the less than $100 class
In the $100 to $200 class: Quantum Boca grades out well as does the shimano baitrunners. The Penn line is the larger 9500. When I took a trip to mass last summer I asked Kate at surfland which reel her shop sees the most for repair. All employees agreed it was the Shimano baitrunner. Not because it has the most problems but because it is not properly oiled, cleaned and otherwise generally cared for.
The 100 to $200 category its the shimono BTU and the thunnus.
Any more than $200 is the Shimano Stella. from $450 t0 $650
If the Van stall had some problems it was costly to fix.

Striper Steve went for the Quantum Cabo PT 60 which according to many charter and offshore fishermen whos gear sees heavy usage is a an excellent choice and gives the most bang for the buck. This reel is also a conventional as well as a spinning reel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2005, 05:52 PM

i think my next reel is gonna be a penn 6500ss for my 7 footer (that i use of docks and stuff) because i hear they are extreammly durable and it is a good price

thanks for the info jim

-mike
Old 01-31-2005, 07:35 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

"Striper Steve went for the Quantum Cabo PT 60 which according to many charter and offshore fishermen whos gear sees heavy usage is a an excellent choice and gives the most bang for the buck. This reel is also a conventional."

They make conventional and spinning Cabo's.

Dont forget about the Saltiga, that goes in the "$500+ category".

I think Okuma, Tica, and Quantum make the best "bang for the buck" reels. I like Penn, but I have used some Penn's that I personally didnt like....especially the drag. If you want a "good" Penn, you are going to spend over $100. They really dont offer anything under like $130 (retail) that can compete with the other brands listed. I personally never pay more than $200 for a reel, so although I have several fave reels I stick with every year, I am constantly trying new stuff looking for that next diamond in tha rough.

If you like the feeling of being reemed in tha buttox with no lube and/or consent, and want to go bail-less, here ya go...

new color choice, Van Staal

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2005, 07:48 PM

That new Van Staal is very Old Skool...but I like it :D

Mike-try the Slammer 5500 for a 7'er I got one on mine and its great...

Jim, what do you mean the Penns "blow up"...just curious, because almost every saltwater rod I own has a Penn strapped to it...
Old 01-31-2005, 09:45 PM

CaboPT
Check That . thanks Jonny. Steve ordered the spinning reel. :oops: QTMCSP60PTSB 12/260 This one is a spinning reel.

Quantum also makes a Cabo Pt level wind and trolling reel. They are about $30 less in price. they look like nice reels as well.

BB By blow up I mean the reel falls apart under strain. The gears burn out with heavy fish. The handle comes off in your hand. and theres metal filaments all over. Happened with my 7500ss after a good night work out with a half dozen 18 to 20 pounders. Although I swear by the 704Z. Not the smoothest but sure can hold up to abuse and you can turn a big fish with it.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:05 PM

So far no problems with any of mine...I treat all of mine like a friggen work horses and they all work great...

I guess its a view of things to come... :(

but I guess if my reels are exploding in my hands, its time to get a new reel anyway...
Old 02-01-2005, 12:55 AM

my 2 cents on Penn. They been riding the wave on technology that's about 20 years old. All these other companies are puttin something into R&D. Now Penn is just starting to update their product line with some of the newer technology and of course some of thier newer stuff (Captiva) is made in China. They couldn't beat them so they had to join them.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:56 AM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

The Captiva's are rubbish IMO. I bought one of the live liner Captiva's last winter, and I used it a bit last season....kukkah. It's smooth, and the bearings seem to be in most of the right spots....but boy is the drag a pile of hussdung. It was demoted to a "utility" reel.

Old 02-01-2005, 05:50 PM

I understand your point...I love the old skool Penns becasue they can take me abusing them...Im afraid if I take a friggen' $500 Van Staal out on my boat or to the beach its gonna get trashed...Im not saying Penns are the the pinnacle of fishing perfection but Im a fan of the durability...

I anyone else knows of similar reels that are not outrageously priced and can take a beating, I might make the switch... :?
Old 02-02-2005, 02:40 PM

Well....Aint this the age ole question.

By Now, you guys know what i use.....The reels in my arsenal that get used the most every season are: Penn 9500ss, 8500ss, Penn Slammer 560, and i haven't checked out the Tica yet but i have high hopes. All those Penns right there, mostly the 9500ss and 8500ss, have taken quite a beating, never been serviced by someone other than me and have never ever failed me. They've been thrown in the back of trucks, they have fell into the sand, they have been rinsed 2 days later, and they have ALL caught fish over 40lbs without so much as a slip or click. Now maybe i just got a good batch of reels, or maybe these reels are what theyare, great, strong, reliable reels. The fish on the homepage was caught with the 8500ss. I'm going to buy the Van Staal, but only as a present to myself, not because of failure on the Penns. The paint has corroded on both 9500 and 8500 and i just keep painting them up and catching fish with them.

I do take all my reels apart in the winter religiously and oil, clean and winterize, but thats it basically. I talk to them a bit and sing them songs but we dont have to get into that.

the 9500ss and the 8500ss are used strictly for slinging bait....the slammer and my new Tica, are strictly for plugging and plastics. funny thing though, every reel i own has 30# Powerpro wrapped around them. go figure.

So my 2 cents, ok that was like 4 cents minimum, is that the Penns or at least the ones i have, are the best bang for the buck...Tough, Reliable, get the job done.

The End

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS OWN DOMAIN 8)
Old 02-02-2005, 07:09 PM

Amen brotha!!!

I totally agree...!

Same as Briggs...I abuse the hell out of my reels...and they all work beautifully... :D
Old 02-02-2005, 07:59 PM
LunkHead

Briggs said:
Quote:
I talk to them a bit and sing them songs but we dont have to get into that.
You too, huh?
It's a long damn winter...... :twisted:

Ed
Old 02-02-2005, 08:16 PM

The way i figure it, why buy a reel that you have to treat like a dozen eggs? I need work horses, not fine art.

Yes Ed hahaha, Its been way to long and cold of a winter. I think thats why the stripers never have a chance by the time i go. I"m so ready to catch something, i send vibes down the line that they cant resist hahaha.

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS OWN DOMAIN 8)
Old 02-02-2005, 09:27 PM

fine art....isn't that the Van Stahl?? They are the masterpiece after all
Old 02-02-2005, 09:37 PM

Thats Van Gough steve Van Stall still has both ears. and your arm and a leg. :D