Help appreciated - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Rhode Island Fishing
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rhode Island Fishing Rhode Island striped bass fishing - Local discussion & reports

Old 08-03-2007, 02:07 PM

Default Help appreciated

Hi,

Could you help me find a good area/spots for striper fishing tomorrow (saturday 0804) with my family?

Because I have 2 kids and a wife, I need to find a spot that can accomodate them having a good beach day while I have "some success" at fishing. I understand that nobody can guarantee catch but the times that I have gone to the cannal I have not been successful. I would like to see some action for a change.

The area must have at least some action during day hours. I can try to go early but with the 2 little ones it becomes hard plus, I live at least an hour away from the coast.

I do NOT have a boat so I must be able to fish from the shore.

Close parking, preferably free, would be nice so that the little ones do not have to walk forever.

North shore, south shore, it does not matter as long as there are fish to catch (or at least a reasonable prospect)and a place for them to be.

I really would love to see my older son (and myself ;-)) ecxited about the catch. I have been telling my son to go fishing with me and catch a big fish and then eat it!, and that has not happened yet (in the ocean). I started to fish at a lake nearby that has lots of largemouth and I have been as successful as anyone could be, except for this week that has been dry( probably the moon). I figure that getting used to "bass" habits (not to say that stripers and largemouth behave the same way) would be good in general and I could get some fishing fun in the meantime. BTW, the first time that I showed up with a largemouth (about 17"), I told my son: "Daddy caught the big fish, what are we going to do now? (hoping that he would say: "eat it!"). Instead he said: "NOT eat it!". I asked him why and he said: "that fish is yucky!". It was pretty funny, to me at least. He is not 3 yet. He loves fishing and he is learning all the lures. When we go, he is my lure caddy. He also fishes for about 2 seconds but it is so much fun!!! He throws the worms and rocks in the water when we go together... You all know how good that is for catching fish ;-)

I would GREATLY! appreciate any help that you experienced guys and gals could provide.

Thanks,

Robalo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2007, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Help appreciated

Robalo, I truly wish I could help you out! You've given some pretty difficult guidelines. This time of year Striper fishing tends to be a night time ordeal.
Water temps drive the large Bass deep looking for the cooler temps and excape from the bright sun. They will come in under the cover of darkness to chase bait in amongst shoreline structure and in the sand bars. If you do manage to get a fish, for the next few weeks anyway, They are usually the sub-legal schoolies and bluefish.
As far as parking goes, as long as the beach crowds are willing to pay for parking, and until Labor Day anyway, virtually any near beach parking comes with a fee. There are some fishermans access lots in Rhode Island that are free, but the areas are not condusive to bringing youngsters.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:46 PM

Thanks GunnySniper for your nice reply. I thought that my request was pretty hard and the staggering number of replies confirms it. I have noticed the same trend with Largemouth bass (they tend to go into deeper waters). I catch them usually at sunset but I live 5 minutes away from the lake so this is hardly a problem. So, would you say that going towards the North Shore would not increase my chances of success of catching a striper because the driving factor is the excessive sunlight and not the water temperature? I was hoping that going north would help me out a bit but if it is the sunlight, it does not matter much how for north I go...

The real problem, besides not having a boat, is the fact that night hours are really problematic for me with the little ones. Perhaps I can try a different type of fish this time of the year. How about bluefish? would that change make it any easier? I wonder if I have to observe some extra precautions in handling the toothy snappers. Perhaps steel leaders? How do you remove a hook from a bluefish? I have never done it.

And free close by parking would be a plus but I can pay and make them walk ;-)

Thanks a lot,

Robalo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2007, 03:56 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I didnt reply, because , there was no need to repeat what Gunney told you.... you have asked for alot, but we realy do understand your prediciment....

You might try anchoring a worm or clam on a chesrtertown hook to the bottom in hopes of a winter flounder, the flounder fishing from the beach at plum island(Ma) has been decent, there are plenty of skates, you probably dont want to eat them( the wings are tastey) but they will provide action and a good tussel...by using a clam or worm, tyou increase your chances of a multi species catch..
Old 08-03-2007, 04:40 PM

Thanks Roccus for your kind response. Unless somebody comes up with a more attractive plan, Plum Island it is! As I said, I know that I am asking for alot but as you said, my situation is not an easy one. It would be pretty inconsiderate of me to go fishing and leave my wife with the 2 kidos alone, and the distance, among other things, makes it hard to go at night. I certainly appreciate your creativity in trying to help me out. I read many of your posts and they are ALWAYS! pretty insightful (I think I speak for a lot of us). Again, thanks a lot!

I have a couple of questions:

I coincidentally have some old but never used Chestertown hooks in my box. Is there a particular reason (I am sure there is) why Chestertown would work better in this situation? Aren't Chestertown hooks pretty easy to bend? Perhaps the flounder cannot pull really hard but the rays certainly can. I grew up eating stewed rays in a faraway land, any reason why these ones are not good to eat? I remember fishing at the Chesapeake Bay and getting rays that pulled like crazy, I got my workout with some of them.

Also, what type of worm works "best"? earthworm, bloodworm, night crawler, plastic, etc?

Thanks,

Robalo.