Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Lake Anna Schoolie Stripers

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Fish-Aholic 
#1 ·
Well boat problem after boat problem prevented me from hauling a boat down to the lake on Sat night. So we loaded up a canoe, only to find out that The state park campground pretty much sucks for anyone who wants to fish. The campground is at least a mile drive from the water, and at least a half mile walk through the woods to the water. Oh and this wouldn't really be a problem except for the fact that they close the gate down to the water at dusk and don't reopen it until 8am. You can walk down to the water from the campground, but you defenitely don't want to carry a canoe. Another issue I saw with the campground was boat security. There are about 6 or 7 slips available at the park to tie up in...however if you are camping you are NO WHERE near your boat. So with all this said, you'd have to put in and take out every day you were camping. Well we ended up with a boat after all. We rented a 20' Pontoon with an Evinrude Etec 50 on it. This cost about $130 for the day +$30 for gas. We had a great day on the water. Picked the boat up around 7:15am (top speed on the boat was 18mph with just me on it and it dropped to 15 with everyone else) Fish were on the surface everywhere in the morning, with LARGE fish jumping out of the water. Unfortunately I had to go the 3 miles to get back to the state park and pick up Ciara, dad and the dogs. We tooled around a little, marked some fish but were unable to get anything to bite. We should've gone down to dike 3 for the Large school of 15-20" fish that hang out there but we didn't. About 10:45 we headed back to the campground to pick up mom and lunch stuff. We cruised down the lake to some islands just past the Power Station moored up and lit the grill and cooked up some lunch. Mom had never been down to Dike 3 before so off we headed. I put on a 3/4 oz Crippled herring and started jigging. Instantly got a bump, I missed the hit, dropped the jig back ot the bottom and wham it was on.....ened up being a 16-17" Striper pulled up from 25' of water.With the current and the wind blowing us we couldn't stay on the fish for more than just a couple min and it was hard to keep the jigs on the bottom. I swapped out my crippled herring for a 2oz chrome and black stingsilver and had dad get rid of his spoon for a gold 2oz sting silver. As long as we were between 22' and 30' we were getting hits on the Jigs, Dad managed a nice little 18-19" (just short of the 20" minimum) Striper however just as I was boating the fish, his knot failed and my stingsilver went back to the bottom with the fish. We only had time to get on the fish once more after that before it was time to head back. Campground checkout was at 3pm and we were almost 8 miles from the campground with a motor and boat that would only do 15mph. All in all it was a great day on the water, although it does amaze me how STUPID some people are with thier boats. I watched a guy trying to tie his boat up in a slip, he pulled in bow first couldn't figure out how to tie it up and keep it in the silp, so apparently he just said the heck with it and tied his boat sideways to the dock taking up two slips. Not to mention it took him 20 min to get the bumpers hung from the dock so he didn't scratch his precious bowrider......I really can't stand pleasure boaters...they don't know the first thing about being on the water and all they want to do is go fast and pull a skiier. We had one idiot try and pull a wakeboarder (who didn't know what he was doing so he kept falling) right between me and another Pontoon Boat, in a NARROW part of the lake. We were both fishing with lines in the water and here comes idiot in the Ski Nautique.....

See less See more
#2 ·
You mean Lake Anna, the lake lice (jet ski) capitol of VA? You were fishing with the wrong thing! You need some two stroke oil dowsed on a ski jacket. They will flock to the boat.

After the water temps get down in the low 60's you can go back to using normal tackle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.