I completly under estimated the difficulty - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Reels and Reel Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Reels and Reel Maintenance Reel Maintenance and schematics - Discussion on spinning and conventional fishing reels - teardowns and hard to find parts

Old 06-08-2009, 02:34 PM
The worlds worst fisherman

Default I completly under estimated the difficulty

so i've been reading posts all over the internet about reel selection, and i wanted to get into a conventional rig, so i picked up a penn 525mag as my first conventional, outfitted it with 20lbs powerpro, and as the story goes couple casts into it, I'm the proud new owner of a brand new hot knife. I had the mag set all the way back to slow, now, i've read the beginners how to cast articles. Now what would ya'll recomend for line choice, a thick dacron braid or berkley thick mono for learnin. I also picked up a penn 209 level wind for like 20 bucks from a pawn shop, should i learn on that and then progress to the mag?

Well any advice is good advice. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2009, 02:53 PM

Default Re: I completly under estimated the difficulty

I've never casted a 525mag, but from what I hear it's a very fast reel and one for a well educated thumb. I'd used low profile baitcasting reels on freshwater rods for bucket mouths for years, and it still took me a little while to get used to using a large frame reel on a surf rod. I started out with an Abu 6500. Not a bad reel to learn on, and a great reel to boot.

Mono is definitely easier to learn with. I would recommend choosing something in the 20lb test range, with low memory, to practice with. Take it out to an open field or empty beach, tie on a 2 or 3 oz bank sinker, and cast until you don't really even need to think about it any more. Slow your cast down, focus on a smooth steady acceleration throughout the cast. Avoid casts like the snap cast, as those will surely cause you grief. If you decide to put braid on it, stick with a heavier test, like 50 or 65lb test, as the larger diameter is easier deal with when you do get a backlash. You'll want the heavier line for the canal anyway.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:16 PM
drilltrash

+1 about open field. when i started using the low profile reels for the first time, i'd would be casting out in the dirt road while my buddie was fishing. take the time a practice and before you know it you wont even have to think about it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Veteran Striper Chaser

Start OFF WITH MONO .Get a 1/4lb spool of30 and fill it within a 1/4"-3/8" of the spool rim top. Stick with the same weight(4oz) and after you get the hang of it you can drop to 20lb mono or 15lb and a shocker to keep from snapping off. Make sure you keep the line down from the top of the spool rim while your learning. Don,t snap cast and remember it,s supposed to be fun
Old 06-09-2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
Start OFF WITH MONO .Get a 1/4lb spool of30 and fill it within a 1/4"-3/8" of the spool rim top. Stick with the same weight(4oz) and after you get the hang of it you can drop to 20lb mono or 15lb and a shocker to keep from snapping off. Make sure you keep the line down from the top of the spool rim while your learning. Don,t snap cast and remember it,s supposed to be fun
Yup, exactly what he said
And never use PP on a surf conventional. If you want to use braid use one that doesn't turn into an unrecoverable knot if you backlash. In my experience the best is Berkley Stealth
Old 06-09-2009, 12:54 AM

right on guys, i went with 20lb smooth cast stren, 8.99 a spool. filled both my mag and 209. didnt get a chance to go out and pitch a few though i'll be out tomorrow!
Old 06-09-2009, 03:38 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

your going out and you are casting.
and the inevitable happens.
"MUTHA#*%@#A!
this is your frustration coming out as you have "the proffessional overrun"
dump the stren crap.
i don't wanna corrupt the suggestions here.
i will state what that reel is best with in regard to casting and be onto the rest. 15# ande and spooled 3/4 give or take a yard.
this reel will punish you if you are not careful.
make relatively short casts with it with a 6-8 oz weight.
get used to how fast it is on the slow setting.
gradually start to cast further and then set it on fast.
most surfcasters don't even know how to cast a spinning reel let alone a
conventional.
your cast should end with the rod drifting at the end of the cast and not stopped abruptly. it should be cast and allowing the rod to do what it does and not holding it firm and tight. allow the rod to be loose in your hand (not so to let it fly out of your hand)
the force of a sudden stop will cause the rod tip to wiggle and the line will spin around all the way back to the first guide and this can cause loss of distance and backlash as well as the line is now moving slower than the spool is spinning. (back to that later).
your thumb is your best friend in the event of a "proffessional overrun" and will stop the spool if necessary. no need to have a total mess.
when you get one (which you will) the trick to getting it out is not to pick at the mess. lock it and reel like you were going to retrieve the line a turn or two and pull the line from the reel in a way to bounce the spool back as you pull on the line to pull it off the reel. this will be far easier to get the backlash out but in some cases is not that simple. just keep trying that before you perform surgery on your line. most will use a larger line diameter but imo will diminish the distance you will have bought that reel for in the first place. you can't fish the canal with that 15# ande as it will be prone to breakoffs (although it is one of the better lines that stand up to fraying and abraision) and i've caught something 60-70# (not a bass) on that line. i am not wishing this on you that your overrun will be inevitable. just a fact it will - so being prepared will be a little less frustrating. when you have this happen remember i wished it on you and come back for your revenge with a tale of a fish after you have succeeded in avoiding further backlashes. remember that it is a tool and a method in which you bought it to have fun and don't get annoyed at it as you could find yourself. there's an abundance of these reels lined up on ebay from guys not capable of the tenacity and patience to overcome frustration and anguish from such. as always, should you or your reel be caught in line management hell? we will dissavow any knowledge of your actions. good luck, zim....

Old 06-09-2009, 12:31 PM

Wow, Zim, you could sell diving flippers to a man with no arms and no legs. You should seriously consider a career change to a motivational speaker.

But I took the reel to work,(i'm an apprentice on a tower crane) and i mounted it on a broom handle and was dropping a 5oz sinker off the side of the crane and bringing it to a stop, trying to get my thumb in line. My journeyman operator thinks i've lost my mind. But i think it will help, not real sure though because the line is always tight, due to vertical drop rather than a casting lob. Im stubborn as hell and i bought it so im gonna learn it.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

okay, now you've incorporated a crane into the equation... excellent...
now try and do an off the ground with the crane and fire a 2 ton weight into the breakers....
the thumb is the least of your worries.
keep the faith. you'll be casting in no time...

Old 06-09-2009, 03:33 PM
Veteran Striper Chaser

Oily Dude. I think you could make a little extra money cranken up donuts from the ground to your cab. Enjoy your new reel
Old 06-12-2009, 01:27 PM

so i'm on my third spool of line with this 525mag here, i thought my thumb had learned. I got confident enough with stren 30lb smooth cast, so i took to the canal last night tossed on a 4oz bucktail and had at it for a while, i was doing good. The a guy up the way took one on a topwater, so i tossed one on a 3 1/2 oz popper. So i get good distance let float for a bit and start my retrieve, first pop, boom spool explodes, so i fix it, tighten up the mag, second pop, boom spool explosion, fix it, and try thumbing it on the next pop a lil better, but i cant get the speed on the retrieve i want. Is it line choice? Reel choice? So i broke out the spinning rod an popped my heart out for a while.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Don't feel too bad.
I've had conventionals since the early 70's.
Tried a Mag 525 for a year. Traded it for an ABU.
I'm not about to say I'm any good with a conventional. But, I just couldn't get used to the Penn at all.
Started with ABUs and will probably stay with them for casting.
I figured it was more as to "what you're used to". But after hearing and reading I'm not so sure. They are fast. Very fast. Out of my league.
May try flushing out the bearings and adding straight STP to slow it way down?
Really don't know what to tell you. I gave up on it.

Unless you go with a large dia. spool and high gearing, retrieve speed will probably never keep up with a spinner. Well not unless you crank like crazy fast. If the tide is really rushing at you on the retrieve, it's easy to get into trouble.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:35 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

OKAY, now that we have been out and learned something.
WHAT DID WE LEARN????
and i want you to think about what happened and why it happened. you didn't pay full attention grasshopper..
fishing a jig that small in the canal is so so with that reel;
fishing a plug in the canal with that reel is suicide (without putting tension on the line as it is coming back on the spool) and besides, your casting a 2 or 3oz plug will not go over well as i stated the line cannot stay ahead of that spool spinning. hense the silli string...it is an 8 and bait reel and it could be used for steel and larger heavy plugs but even greasing it with gear grease and putting a couple of mags in it will work it better i can assure you that it won't be your go to plugging gear that's for sure. as i stated earlier, you "will" get dissappointed but as gary said, he got fed up and as it is one of my favorite toys i own? i would not wish that on anyone as i can only imagine that first "MUTHA#%&%!!!! come out of your mouth... they make a bigger handle for the european version of that reel (I have not been able to aquire one yet though) i still cannot grasp wtf you did on a retrieve but have the star drag way too loose?) tell me more

Old 06-14-2009, 04:15 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

It's best to start with mono, on convetional's. That way if you get the dreaded birds nests, and have to cut, it not going to affect the pocket as much as re-spooling with braid will. Also, when graduating to braid, I suggest none lower than 50# test. This is what I have on my conventionals.
And when learning, short cast first, get a feel for your new tool. Than move farther with the casts. And always feather the spool with your thumb, always. Because many of the nests occur when the bait/plug/rig hits the water and the spool runs on. You want to stop the spool when the rig hits the water. Than if more line is needed, feather it out with your thumb.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:47 AM

Zim dood,
The way it back spooled on the retreive was when i popped the popper, the line went slack, the top couple layers went poof and opened up. So it went a little better holding the spool with my thumb, then holding tension on the line until the next pop, then put my thumb on the spool again. wiiiiicked pain in the ass. Too much thinking. Looks like this will be my bottom jigging reel.

So here-in lies my next question..... What is a good casting reel for light wieghts, or is there one? For under 300$