Potomac Fishing - New Guy - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Chesapeake Bay
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Chesapeake Bay A sub-forum for the Chesapeake Bay and all its tributaries Rockfish Rocks.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:05 AM
Potomac Kayaker

Default Potomac Fishing - New Guy

Hello S247 Forum!

I'm new to the Arlington area and I am looking to get more into striper fishing. I've been a few times this year on sections of the Potomac around the 301 bridge in a boat and had a lot of success, but now I'd like to try to find something closer to home and that I can fish from the shore. I know you all are tight with your secret spots, so I am not asking, but if anyone wants a guy to buy the bait or take a boat out of Fletcher's with, let me know!

About me- Grew up fishing Smith Mountain lake and the New river from docks, banks, or wading- caught mostly Largemouth, Smallmouth, perch, carp, and catfish. Got into flyfishing, mostly for trout and smallmouth but I have also caught seatrout, spanish, redfish, and snook so far on my 8wt. I'm looking to get into striper fishing either on the fly or spinning gear. I'm going next week to fish for hardhead (croaker) at an undisclosed area somewhere near the 301 but I would also like to go for some Rock around the Capital or possibly even some shad...

I've been reading extensively on this forum already, enough to be completely confused as to whether I should switch to braid... buy gulp products... and even if the rods I own that I have caught lots of rock on are worthy of striper fishing... (med hev bass pro shops tourney spec 6' and 5'10'' - shorter because they cause less trouble in the boat when there are several casters.) Oh and lure choice? As far as I knew there was only one lure and it was a sassy shad... looks like I'm going to need to go to striper school.

Anyone catching fish on the Potomac near DC right now? Thanks and I look forward to contributing more in the future!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Potomac Kayaker

Default Re: Potomac Fishing - New Guy

Oh and for the record I am strictly catch and release except for Croaker and Sea Trout...
Old 05-04-2009, 11:25 PM
Striper Hunter

I Dont know about the VA side buy you could try Ft washington park on the MD side. Potomac regulations are stricter than the bay so you might wanna check on them. I think your not allowed to fish for them at all in the spring on the potomac. Most of the Big Fish have already spawned and headed to New england by now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Potomac Kayaker

Thanks for the tip, I'm definitely going to check it out. I was talking to some guys at the Orvis shop and they pointed me to a google group of fly-fishermen in the area, so hopefully some of those guys will want to go fishing too.

I'll report back if I get into any fish!
Old 05-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Striper Hunter

I'm just learning fly fishing. I bought 1 combo (shakespeare) to
try it out and flipped my truck over with it in the back.Glad it wasn't some thousand dollar setup!
I got another combo for my second attempt, a cortland. I almost caught a stocked rainbow trout till he spit the fly. Other than that I haven't realy done much flyfishing. I definatly want to learn tho. Most of my fishing envolves weight n bait or livelining spot. A few lures here and there.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Potomac Kayaker

Most all of my fishing has involved fly-rodding or lures and I have not fished much for bass... If you want sometime I'd be happy to help you out with fly casting and techniques, I have a bunch of different fly rigs (mostly for trout though) and I have an 8 weight and a 10 weight I was hoping to get out there on the potomac with.

I'm planning on heading down there either this evenning or tomorrow morning so I'll give you a report if I catch any!
Old 05-09-2009, 12:20 AM
Potomac Kayaker

Caught a bunch of shad on my flyrod, I've never caught them before, pretty fun especially with the river up. I caught one striper, about 16-18 inches, pretty happy with it considering how much the current was running. Hooked into something big in the trees, broke me off before I could see it. Not bad for my first time in the area! Saw police and game warden out there but they were more concerned with the handliners than me.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:36 PM

Hi Guys,

My name is Francesco, I'm from Italy, but I'll be in Arlington for two mounths.
Usually in Italy I fish with fly (but I start to cast only 3 mounths ago), I have more experience with hardbait lure.
This is my first time here. I never fished before in USA.
My flyfish combo is TFO TiCr 9ft 8# and Okuma Airframe with 9 WF line intermediate. I'm also waiting for a travel spinning rod from bassproshop (offshore angler ocean master) that will match with my daiwa tierra 3000.
So, if you want to join to me and help me, contact me.