Anyone else use Strike King or Gulp! soft plastics? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Sweetwater Fishing -Freshwater Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Sweetwater Fishing -Freshwater Stripers Freshwater fishing discussion. Articles on tactics and techniques for freshwater stripers as well as Bass & other species.

Old 02-02-2005, 01:35 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Default Anyone else use Strike King or Gulp! soft plastics?

I read some of you guys like the Senko's alot. I used fish them frequently, and decided I didnt like the cost lol, plus the fact I have to drive to Kittery to get 'em. I started using Strike King stuff instead, cuz although I gotta got to Kittery to that too, the Cyberflexxx/3X stuff last so much longer than everything else. My 3 faves are Strike King Zulu's, Z Too's, and Zero's. If I cant connect with a Zero, I use Berkley Gulp stuff, usually the Sinking or Floating Minnow worm.

This stuff STINKS, and I have noticed a unbelievable rise in the number of fish caught since switching to this stuff. If I'm throwing a buzzbait, or working a spinnerbait, I'm more than likely throwing soft plastics, and the stuff I mentioned calls in noticeably more fish than anything I have ever thrown into the water. It's actually ridiculous and hysterical how many fish will pound a Gulp worm.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2005, 07:29 PM

JB i have had the same experiance

i was throwing a pinnerbait for about 25mins with no luck so i look in my tackle box to find somthing else to use when i see the glup worms that i got for free so i tried them and caught numerous fish right off the bat. I also love the strike king zulu's they also work well for me.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:34 PM

Default GULP

I CAN TELL U THAT THE GULP WORKS FOR REDFISH. WITH WEIGHT (1/8) OR NOT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2005, 08:55 PM

How do you guys rig your Strike King Zulus and what type of hooks do you use?
Old 04-11-2005, 09:15 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Texas, with wide gap hooks. Fish em up top.

P.S. For saltwater, the Exude stuff is awesome. The RT Slug is good when theres lotso schoolies around. They put out ALOT of stink...
http://www.mepps.com/mistertwister/library/lures/

Old 04-13-2005, 07:34 PM

I used 4" Senkos a ton last Summer/Fall and still love them, but the price does add up. A potentialy good substitute for them, I think, are Wacky Worms. Saw them at a fishing show in Baltimore earlier this year and picked up a bunch. The weather is finally getting to where I can start to test them out! You can check out www.wackyworm.com for info on them.

As for rigging, I pretty much use a 2/0 wide gap hook and rig the worm Texas style. Lets me fish along the shore pretty well without snagging a ton of vegetation (unless it's a tree!).

MDFisher

PS - Not affiliated with wackyworm in anyway!
Old 04-13-2005, 10:19 PM

I LOVE to fish them Wacky Style...

Calls in the big boys... :D
Old 05-06-2005, 07:00 PM

I too love the senko and it's imitators. For durability I have discovered that the Tiki version or the big Tiki Bamboo sticks(they're wave worms I think) will really take a beating, especially wacky rigged. The YUM dingers are much more durable than the Yamamotos and get bit every bit as well for me.
Lately I have been doing awesome at night with the Storm rattle crawdad in black/blue 4" size. I rig them on a 6/0 weedles "K-wacky" hook from Falcon Lures. This hook is also great for wacky rigging senko style baits, keeps the moss off. The other night I went head-to-head with a buddy, him using live craws and myself using the storm craws. I actually caught more than him, I think it was because of the rattles. At night or in dark water, I put a worm rattle in the senkos.........seems to make a big difference. The strike king zulus are great, I usually split shot them on about a 3' leader. Just picked up some Gulp sinking minnows, have yet to try them but I love their 3" minnows for dropshotting. Hard to keep em from swallowing those things....they love that stinky stuff!
Old 05-06-2005, 09:19 PM

nice info sole :) !, I also found the tiki worms to be great for "wacky" style.

As you probley know i am a yamamoto fanatic, and i love to rig them weedless over all, because where i ama there it gets really mossy and it is SO much fun to see a 4 pounder bust through the moss to kill my senko. What ways do u like to rig ur senko's? and do u use them on land like me or are u blessed enough to have a boat :). Where would i be with out Yamamoto.

Thanks
Old 05-07-2005, 03:38 AM

Thanks Mike,
I really enjoy fishing from shore, partly because I grew up trout fishing rivers in Colorado and the only time we weren't on shore, we were wading up the river to the next deep hole! I have a 12ft. Zodiak with a 10hp Nissan that I can put on some area lakes and I also go on my friends skeeter.....but my biggest fish have all come at night from shore throwing plastics. I rig my senkos with a offset X-wide gap usually "texposed" exept when the weeds 'n moss are thick then I bury the point under the skin a little. Having found the K-Wacky hooks I mentioned, I find myself fishing them wacky style a bit more when I am casting them as a "fall" bait.(got too much moss on the wacky hook before) The K-Wacky hooks have a nice little spring wire weed guard that works great. I don't usually fish the yamamotos wacky simply because they often don't survive the first fish. One good jumping headshake and they go flying. Have the same problem? I also have had good luck dropshotting the senkos from shore on a size 1/0 owner mosquito hook. The 4 inchers work great for this. Has anyone tried the new 10" yamamoto senkos? Tossing that thing is like chuckin out a Polish sausage! They get bit good and the sheer size helps sort thru the smaller fish. I rarely add any weight to the senkos, but you can get the K-wacky hooks with a small "mojo" shaped weight molded around the hook shank just below the eye. Really helps when the fish want a little bit faster sink rate. On a side note.....I almost ALWAYS use liquid scent on all my baits anymore, it has made a huge difference for me. I've probably tried a dozen different brands, but the most consistent for me has been the Classic Bass Scent from Baitmate. The classic is kinda the yugo in the baitmate scent line, but for me seems to get bit better than the baitmate "live" or baitmate "tournament gel". Not to mention the fact that it is cheaper, so that is a bonus. I probably go through a spray bottle of that stuff every 25 hours on the lake. I've caught so many more nice Largies at night in the past year, I almost hate the daylight anymore :) Gonna post some pics real soon, just gotta tutor myself on the posting process. Good luck out there guys!
Old 05-07-2005, 03:41 AM

Yamamoto is an absolute genius.....God bless 'im!