Shenandoah River Mile 31.5 to 39 5/6 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Sweetwater Fishing -Freshwater Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Sweetwater Fishing -Freshwater Stripers Freshwater fishing discussion. Articles on tactics and techniques for freshwater stripers as well as Bass & other species.

Old 05-07-2006, 08:35 PM
Veteran Elite

Default Shenandoah River Mile 31.5 to 39 5/6

Well, after doing all the errands we had to do before leaving, Ciara and I took off for the River. We went to Front Royal Canoe Company and paid a whopping $25 for a shuttle down to Guest State Park where we put in. Right off the bat we see a 15-16" smallmouth dart through about 4' of water under the canoe. We attempted to throw some baits at it but to no avail. I should've known better, I have never seen one dart like that and caught it. Drifting down river we instantly hooked into fish. Now the shenandoah river had a nasty fish kill last year, they say 80% of the smallmouth were killed off. Not knowing what to expect we started casting Mepps Spinners, I was using a Copper #1 Algia, Ciara was using a Pink and White Rooster Tail with a Chrome Blade. Both instantly produced. Although mine was producing 9-10" smallmouth (fishing with a 5' Shakespeare Graphite ultralite with 4lb test) Ciara's was producing large Bluegills. Both a blast on the tackle we were fishing with. I stopped counting somewhere around 25 fish and that was probably within the first hour of the trip. Ciara caught the first Slot Bass (12") on a Berkley Power Grub. She Was fishing with her Rooster Tail and managed to snag and lose it. So we rigged her with a Mepps Thunder Bug Dressed Treble. It also immediately started producing fish. Anything we threw at these fish yesterday worked, well except my Rebel Killer Crawdad. I pulled that out when we hit some deeper water and that didn't even get a bump. The wind was blowing up river enough to cut our fishing short and forcing us to paddle so we wouldn't be late to the take out. All in all a good day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2006, 09:58 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

excellent day of fishing brother! good job

Old 05-07-2006, 10:38 PM
Veteran Elite

yeah, it was beautiful Can't beat a day on the river......no place I think I'd rather be (without driving more than an hour) Saw tons and tons of Big cats too while I was out. 10-15lb cats under my canoe everytime we hit a deep hole....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

beautiful jeff, some of my fondest memories are sweetwater fishing. kinda miss that as well. just 3 minutes from the beach has spoiled me forever though

Old 05-08-2006, 12:11 AM
Veteran Elite

Yeah I'm sure it has. The shortest trip to saltwater for me is just over an hour. And that hour is conditional upon no traffic. So most of the time I end up fishing the rivers and lakes near me. I make the drive as much as possible though to get out on the bay or on the ocean. My problem is the MINIMUM 3 hour drive to the ocean.