Lake Fishing for Wipers - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > The Wiper Room
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Wiper Room A forum for all you Hybrid and White bass fishermen out there . Wiper aka Hybrid striper / Cherokee Bass / Sunshine bass / Wiper.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:33 AM

Default Lake Fishing for Wipers

I live on a private 144 acre lake in Pennsylvania. We sell 100 fishing permits each year and I am the fishing coordinator for the lake. Last year we started to stock Wipers and have placed about 500 of them in the 14-15 inch range so far. I would like to place about 10 per acre or approximately a total 1,400 in the lake. The lake has LM Bass (large population especially of 12-14 inch Bass), Bluegills, Yellow Perch, Fathead Minnows, Carp, Catfish.

Being mainly a Bass fisherman I would like to have some input on our stocking goals, impact the Wipers will have on the other species, and suggestion on how to find and fish for the Wipers. Epecially Dawn and Dusk versus mid day fishing.

The fishermen are catching some now while trolling, in the last month only 35 were caught. We are hoping that the Wipers will, with growth, start to feed on some of the Bass and allow us to grow larger Bass in the lake. Right now the competition for forage is so great that the Bass are not growing to larger size in quantity.

Sorry for the long post, but would love to hear from the "pros" who lake fish for Wipers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2007, 10:05 PM

Default Re: Lake Fishing for Wipers

Shannon, I am not a "pro" by any stretch, but would recommend you get your hatchery involved, as well as local agents of the PA dnr.
Your provider of stock game fish should be able to do a survey with electro shock and/or netting to give you a better idea of the forage base, and predator base in your lake. You mention the forage base being tight, this will get even tighter with the intro of the wipers, they are gluttonous eaters, be sure you are also stocking shad or other forage fish as well as predators to keep the balance, or ALL your game fish will suffer.
With that info, any reputable hatchery/fishery should be able to help you come up with a game plan for stocking and maintaining what sounds like a great Hybrid Striped Bass fishing lake!
Keep us all informed as to how it comes along, God Bless!
LMJ

Last edited by LittleMiamiJeff; 07-11-2007 at 10:08 PM. Reason: add text
Old 07-11-2007, 10:31 PM
ISBA Exec

Shannon,

LMJ is right about getting the DNR guys involved. Indiana is finding out that the Hybs are great at controlling gizzard shad. They eat shad like my wife spends money!!!!
There are several people that are not real sure they like the hyb's stocked in the absence of their natural food.....shad. They do tend to eat anything they think they can get in their mouth. People with the smaller ponds have claimed they completely wiped out the gills because there was nothing else to eat. If it is legal in your state, and at the recommendation of the DNR, threadfin may be a good supplemental food source for them. Threadies do not get large, and un-edible by most predator fish, like the gizzards do.

Good luck,

Yaz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2007, 05:22 PM
Wiper Guru

I'd have to agree with the previous posts. Wipers can grow 3 pounds per year during their first few years, but that kind of growth takes a lot of shad to perpetuate. I often cut the wipers I keep open and always find shad in their bellies. I don't know what they'd do if they did not have those juicy little greasers to feed on. In one of the other posts from PA if I remember right, one guy said they purposely put shad in the lakes so the wipers/stripers will have so a viable food source. I do not believe the wipers or the shad have a significant effect on lmb populations, at least as far as competition for food is concerned. I have, however, seen herds of small wipers churning the surface of the lake over shallow water blue gill beds.