rod and line preference for wipers - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > The Wiper Room
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Wiper Room A forum for all you Hybrid and White bass fishermen out there . Wiper aka Hybrid striper / Cherokee Bass / Sunshine bass / Wiper.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:10 PM
Official Member

Default rod and line preference for wipers

I generally fish from the boat for wipers and for the most part depend on being able to make ultra long cast when the wipers are chasing bait fish in the distance. I use a 7ft MH action spinning rod loaded with 300+ yards of 8# test Trilene Big Game for working close to the boat with 1 ounce spoons, I use a 10ft predator rod from Cabelas abd a Large Quantum Blue Runner loaded with the same line to sling 1 ounce bucktails to distant fish whereas I cast far and work the bottom back with the sweeping downstream river current river maintaining bottom contact probing for inactive fish. and finally I use a 9ft heavy action spinning rod also loaded with the same 8# test Trilene Big Game line for tossing pencil poppers and hydro poppers as well as striper strikes.
Up until last year I was using Andes 10# test, but I was not happy with the casting capabilities and It did not seem to stand up well to the abuse that we all know the Wipers are very well known for.
I switched to the 8# test Trilene after working over a few 10-11lb steelheads in lake Erie, Although in my opinion the Lake Erie Steelhead while being a formidable opponent, He is not nearly the drag burner that a 10lb Wiper in the strong tailrace waters of the Ohio River can be. With that being said I gave the Trilene a good test last season and It seemed to hold up quite well.
What kind of line do you guys use and for what applications?
I am looking forward to trying the new lures (Gizz4) up near the locks, there are several submerged rock piles that I have found the wipers stacked behind.
See ya on the Water!
......Willy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2007, 06:44 AM

Default Re: rod and line preference for wipers

Hey Willie,
I've caught wipers with anything from a 5 foot UL w/6 lb Berkley Trilene to the same w/10# Spider wire, up to about 24 inches! Great fight.
And that was in moving water of the Little Miami River.
I'm currently stalking striper, and using the same for wiper, Browning 6 Rivers Steelhead spinning rod, 8.5 MH, w/20# Power Pro, Flouro leader as needed.
Also Diawa 8.5 H, has a Shimano Baitrunner as reel, but I have 2 Abu Garcia 773 salt water spinning reels, one on Browning and one in bag as backup.
I have Shimano 6.5 spinning combo, loaded w/Spiderwire monofiliment, and I'm not real happy with the Spiderwire mono, holds up well, casts well, my biggest gripe is when I land a fish, and I'm holding the line a foot or two above the fish as it jumps around, the line is so brittle it breaks at the lure and I've lost fish that way. And I'm tired of tying on every time I land a fish.
We were skip jack fishing in the tail waters of Guntersville, and I'd try to grab the spoon while in the skips mouth, and just sort of shake the skip into the cooler, but more times than not, the spoon would break off, and I'd have to chase skip around bottom of boat, un hook it, and re-tie.
So I'm going to have to re-spool, maybe w/Trilene again, it's always been a good performer for me.
LMJ
Old 04-16-2007, 09:51 AM

If you like Trilene XL, try Suffix Elite. I used Trilene XL forever, then when Elite came out, I gave it a try based on a recommendation. I love it for everything up to 25 lb test. I use it on about 15 different rods from 2lbs ultra lights to 11 foot surfcasters. Everything I loved about XL only limper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2007, 07:43 PM
Wiper Guru

For trolling I like a 9.5 foot steelhead rod and 8# Stren, but I have also had very good luck with Trilene XL. I like the stren because I can get it in green. As mentioned above, I, too, tried Spiderwire (Teflon coated) and Fireline and found that they are quirky. They tend to break, at least that was my experience with the Fireline, and the Spiderwire is so fine, it often and annoyingly gets caught up between the tines on the treble hooks. You sure can feel the bottom with that stuff, though.

My favorite poles are BPS Tourney Special IM7's coupled with Pflueger Trion reels designed for 8# test. I, too, use heavy spoons, especially Kastmasters and Slab Spoons, and this rod/reel combo holds up season after season.

Last year I started experimenting with baitcasters. I still use the Tourney Special, but couple it with an Ambassador reel. It holds alot more line, and it does not tend to twist when trolling, but I am still real fond of my spinning rigs. When casting spoons, however, the baitcasters cast much farther and hold much heavier line--not that that's always an advantage.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:42 PM

I like using a Snoopy rod and reel combo or a Pocket fisherman. Line doesn't really make any difference because when a big striper hits, the rods and reels explode and leave parts all over the boat and the game's over. Sponge Bob also has a nice rod and reel combo!

Skamaniac
Old 04-25-2007, 04:56 PM
Pro Staff

Old 04-25-2007, 08:54 PM
Wiper Guru

That would be an epic battle; a pocket fisherman and a wiper/striper. Love to see that one. Is there really a Sponge Bob outfit on the market?