9" Sluggo question - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 09-10-2004, 08:59 AM

Default 9" Sluggo question

I've started fishing the 9" unweighted Sluggos pretty hard the last month and I've run into a question.

I fish them real slow, painfully slow, like a live eel. I've caught a bunch of blues, and missed a bunch of blues, as they attack the tail. The blues I've landed are in the 8#+ class. They basically hooked themselves.

A few nights back I finally was into some stripers with the sluggo, but here's my problem. They would hit the sluggo hard, but fast. Not time for a hookset. With an eel, it's easy - just wait and the striper will run with it or hit again for a hook set. Not the case with the Sluggo. I'd get one hit, then nothing, then on the same retrieve in another known hole another hit.

I got frustrated, put on a 5" Tsunami Flash Foil and landed 3 25" stripers in about 30 minutes.

So here is my question. When using the 9" sluggo, what is the proper method for the retrieve and hook set?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2004, 07:09 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

I fish em different ways. I skip em along the top or use the twitch N pause retrieve mostly.

I also throw out the hooks that come with em. I use an offset hook instead, and hook it through the head, or top, once.

Once the rod tip gets heavy, I set em up.

Old 09-13-2004, 02:21 PM

Are you using braid? I fish them with a slow twitch and glide. As soon as I feel anything, I whack them hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2004, 07:40 AM
Jigologist

Default sluggo hookset

sluggos are a great rig, however, you can't rig 'em as per directions on the package... the rubbah gets slid down the shank on a take and fouls the hook.. you reel it in and it's all bunged up at the bend of the hook... stripes take head first, so you need the hook at the head of the lure, as jonny says use a wide gap hook and hook it at the head from the bottom (round side) up about 1/2" ... cast easy, watch the hook hole as it gets ripped wider, before it rips thru, just snip or bite off the ripped section and rehook it.. they'll hit the 9" even down to the center grooves in length..

I use scissors to shape the head each time I cut it back.. keep it rounded for the random action that the fish like... cut it flat and work it like a popper, experiment with angles, down sloped makes it dig when twitched , upslope makes it pop to the surface on the twitch.... I like running them just subsurface... twitch and glide... or deaddrift twitch...

sluggos rule :!:
Old 10-12-2004, 07:37 PM

wooo, sounds like fun.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:15 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Here's my old Slug-Go rig I used to use when working the rocks in my fave honey hole....

I used to never "put the hook through the head" on my Slug-Go's or Fin-S fish. Well thats until I got a lesson from Jigman ;)

Didnt really work any Slug-Go's this year though.